don't click here

Sonic 1 Beta Remake Update Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by AbsoluteG, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

disgusted by origins plus Oldbie
    A black Hole
    life and shit..., a sonic 1 remake
    For the lazy, the latest download is here also.

Current Version:

Sonic 1 Beta remake V0.03B1
    Bugfixs, and other things.

Alternate Version (for those who want CWZ1's BG in all 3 acts)
    Alternate Version with Clock Work Zone 1 BG in Act 2 and 3 for those who prefer that.

Older Versions:

Sonic 1 Beta remake v0.03
    Recent release, New objects, and other big changes.

Sonic 1 Beta remake v0.02F
    Second release, released Jan 2007. some improvements. but still kinda meh.

Sonic 1 Beta remake v0.01 Really OLD version from Sept 2006, a lot of things incomplete, being the first release. not worth the download.

2. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    Boy am I ever glad to hear this project didn't go under. I've been eagerly awaiting this for quite a while! Make sure to keep us updated this time, if at all possible. Oh! how goes Labyrinth's backround? Do you have that finished?

3. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    LZ's background is still being worked on, and is going good. My main projects at the moment for this hack are SYZ(SZ), MZ, and the new CWZ3. But I will of course get to LZ soon.I may release a version of this hack in June or July so stay tuned as I will update you on this.

I am aware that a Sonic 1 advert showed a new part of LZ's background not seen in the beta screens, but it is too small for me to make out anything of it.

4. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ah, I was reminded of this project the other day, so it's good to know that you're still working hard at it. ^_^ I love the new UFO graphics - a huge improvement over the old ones you were using, if I'm remembering the old ones correctly. My only complaint with 'em is it's a little weird how there's no real transition between the ring being purple and 'shadowed' to being bright green and 'highlighted', though I'm not sure what could be done about that..

Also, Sparkling Zone is looking very nice indeed! Spiffy-looking in still form; my only complaint is that I can't yet see it in action.

Can't wait to see more media; keep up the good work!

5. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

Damn! That looks nice! I was actually working on this project secretly :S , but this looks way better (so I'll just stick with Sonic Quest I guess). Keep up the good work!

6. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    Ok, I'm working on act 2 of CWZ, and there has been 1 thing that has been bugging me. Concerning CWZ2's background, should I:

1: Put act 1's background into act 2?

2: Change anything in the background in act 2 to look different (Ex: slightly different looking tiles, or things put in different places?

3: Put act 1's background into act 2, using act 2's pallete?

4: Option #2 with a different pallete(I.e: blue or something)

7. Robjoe

Robjoe

If anything, you should put act 2's BG into act 1. I can't think of a single beta shot that featured an outdoor SBZ (or should say, CWZ).

And this hack is definately the best and most awesome attempt I've seen at recreating S1 beta. Once this is done, you should show this to forums of, well, "lesser intelligence" (to put it nicely) and claim it to be an actual beta. For shits and giggles if nothing else.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Awesome, glad my code was of use to you after all. :(

9. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    I think you'd achieve a better effect if you make them move horizontally, more like clouds. The animation would look more natural (just make the lines on the rim move left to right), and the motion would be more like that of a classic flying saucer.

10. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    This looks superb! well done my man cant wait for the release.

DJ

11. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Very nice indeed. Mistergambit for full member?

12. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Seconded.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I'm thinking Tech Member, myself. But he's gotta finish the Trial period first. :P

14. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Eeeh.. I think the tech member title is given out too easily. But that's just me - it's become one of those things where half the board are tech members.

15. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    That's because everyone is getting smarter, and stuff is easier to do now. It should probably just be strenthened.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, that looks promising.

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Eeeeeeh... Remember what happened with me...

18. AbsoluteG

AbsoluteG

A black Hole
    I would, but it has been known, since the discovery of the Wayne's World Movie clip of MZ, that the UFO's went in vertical rotation. I am trying to make this as close as to the real beta as possible.

Although, any suggestions on what LZ's lower background looked like would be helpful. judging from seeing the "HAG" Sonic Commercial", It appears that there are some waterfalls, but like I said in a previous post. It is too damn small to make out anything.

However, here are some new screenshots, this time Depicting SLZ(simple tile modifications), and the new CWZ 3.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only difference with this new level replacing FZ, is there will be no boss, but an signpost at the end of the level.

(Note: Sorry about CWZ3's Background being blue. I changed this like 3, 4 years ago when I just began the hack for some reason, but I am restoring it to it's old green pallete. and about the background of CWZ3, It was also some earlier work I did, years ago.)

19. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I actually like that background palette, but it's you're choice.

After you're done with this, maybe you could use these levels and make Sonic 1 Delta. =P

20. Taco

Taco

NintenDan Member
    NIU. Dekalb, Illinois
    Reclaiming my throne as sonic advance king >:O
    Is it just me, or is Sonic's life icon giving me the finger?

EDIT: No wait, I guess I was mistaken. Sure looks like it though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.