don't click here

I am announcing my "retirement"

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by BadCopNoDonut, May 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    The topic title says it all. I'm "retiring" from hacking. I've got a few reasons which I don't want to clutter up the boards with, so I'm just gonna say I'm done with ROM hacking, and leave it at that. I don't really think I'll be around here any more either, or on Cult. If for some reason you guys need to talk to me about whatever, you can get me on AIM still, but I'm bowing out now. And to quote The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Eek, did we do that? =\

Dude, your level is a great concept, it just needs more work is all. If I released my hack as is it'd be a mess. You've just gotta keep trying until you've got things just right.

3. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    I don't understand either.

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    ;_;

Well, if that's what you want. I know you have put a lot of work into it, but it's not my place to question you. You will still be in the credits to my hack, and get all the beta releases.

5. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    Quite frankly I'm sick of busting my ass in everything and not getting shit for it. It seems to be a reoccuring theme in my life. I bust my ass and give it all I've got in college, I don't get shit. I put in months on this level, it flops, and aside from any major technical issues, that WAS the final release. I'm not changing a damn thing. What, do you gotta know ASM to get any respect around here now? If not, I'm sure those days aren't far off. I'm finished. I am sick of working my ass off on something, then having people want more, more, more from me, like what I've already done just isn't good enough. Well I have news for you. What I've given is my best. What more can I give? Whoever said you get what you put in is full of shit. So its confirmed, now you guys get your explaination, and I had another level that was about complete that won't see the light of day. If someone wants to take it over, IM me and I'll give you the file. I'm done. Goodbye everyone. Call me emo, a poor sport, someone who doesn't take criticism well, I don't fucking care anymore. I did this as a hobby to get AWAY from the bullshit that is college, where despite my best efforts, I seem to only barely get C's in most classes, and now I face the same shit here. It isn't worth it.

6. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    People give you criticism so you can take it and then build on what you've done so far and make it better. If you can't accept that then you shouldn't be releasing your work in the first place. You can shout all you like for me saying that but that's just how it is. You're over-reacting.

People like your graphics work and the concept, I do myself, I like the level layout too but that dosen't mean there isn't room for improvement. The level just needs to flow better in it's design. Working on the level layout isn't as hard to do as what you've done so far really, it's minor stuff.

IMO you can either take people's critism constructively, improve the level layout and then release a hack people will love, or, you can be emo about it (because that's what you are being even if you don't want anyone to say it) and run off. I know personally I'd continue working on it and be pleased for the critism of the level layout and improve it. Infact a similar thing was said of the level layout of my hack, and the first thing I did was set to work making it better, doing sketches of how I wanted the level to flow etc.

7. paul

paul

Still an idiot! Member
    United Kingdom
    Drum Maestro? No, it wasn't possible.
    Make alterations to how you approach work and your hobby.

For your work, approach it by knowing this simple fact - academic intelligence has actually no bearing on anything. I know people that get straight A's that are the dumbest shites on the planet, and there are people that flunk everything that I would be happy to trust for very serious things. Im fact, in my university degree so far, I've got nothing but straight A's - those letters don't take into account that working with my subject (IT) for a good 80% of my life means that anything less would be a disgrace as opposed to acceptable, and they also don't show that I am a HORRIBLE procrastinator and that my work usually completed in a flurry on the day of handin. This naturally means that the stuff that I don't know immediately through hobbies suffers badly gradewise.

If you feel that you're giving your best, then you should not have any regrets at all. It beats looking back on your grades with the knowledge that you could have raised some of those grades from E's to A's if you had simply applied yourself. Don't stress over how average grades will affect your ability to get work later in life - there's about several hundred other factors that will be assesed, some of which are ten times more important than what your grades are.

For your hacks - never, ever let a hooby feel like work. A lot of people can become ultra-perfectionists in what they do, and for them that is fun. That's OK, but you obviously don't catch it this way, so try not to take opinions to heart. If you had fun creating it, then that's all that is needed. If you didn't have fun, think about why you spent the time doing it in the first place. I personally love nothing better than creating a small, simple, bug free application is something like VB, but I also love cranking out joke programs that explode repeatedly over your speakers, or open Notepad once for every byte on your C: drive.

8. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    If this is how you take constructive criticism, maybe it's best you do leave. When someone says something can be improved, they're not dissing your work, they're just saying it CAN be better, and you CAN make it better. If that pisses you off to such a level that you're willing to give up completely without even taking the criticism into consideration, then you have a problem. Once it becoms work and not a hobby, that's when you should give it in.

Would you rather people say it was a fantastic level and they loved it, when they actually thought it could be better, and you could make it better?

If ROM hacking is your hobby, treat it as a hobby. You do it in your free time, you have as long as you want to do it. If you can improve it, improve it. Take your time, don't rush. That's the beauty of hobbies, you have all the time in the world to improve on what you've already done. I've spent longer than a year working on my hack, and I wouldn't even say it's close to a release so far, but I'm not giving it in. If I feel like stopping work on it, I'll stop for a while until I'm willing to take it to the next level, to improve what needs improving, to take people's criticism into consideration, and add or remove, or change what they feel isn't as good as it could be.

I'll be sad to see you leave, as your work is very, very nice, but if this is the way it's going to be, goodbye. I guess. :/

EDIT: I don't tend to make long posts, but I felt I had to let you know my opinion on this whole situation. I'd rather you not leave 'cause I'd like to see your level in a more perfect state. So yeah. I hope you don't leave, and I hope you understand what I'm trying to get across.

9. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    dude, you only get praise for finished work believe me.

and I don't understand your 'I don't get shit' behaviour, really. all my hacking work I've done in the past was only for the 15 minutes of 'wow, nice' and all those other replies I got from my hacks. I don't remember bitching at it, ever :P

well, not everybody likes this I guess.

10. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    If your level is bland, then people aren't going to like it, no matter how much time and effort you put into it (and they certainly won't change their minds if you tell them how much). Now you have two choices:

1. Do nothing.
    2. Try to improve your level.

11. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Dude don't give it up, I have several times thought about not even starting when I've read how much of a mammoth task it is to make your own sonic levels but I've decided to give it a shot you have got to take criticism in your stride, people on here are only trying to help you make a hack to be proud of. I have posted my thoughts on your Space Base Zone in the other thread. I have played tonnes of other peoples hacks so im pretty experienced with that side of things now im just trying to learn how to make all my own stuff. I think you shouldnt retire man, keep working at it.

DJ

12. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    Whoa , whoa, slow down there , dude. I'm quite sure that your not lying, maybe that is the best you can do, however, you should ask someone else to help you with the rest.

This is the biggest over-reaction since I left for a week after reaming that newbie. Scratch that, this is worse. Calm down, ask around to see if you can get help, or if there is anything you can learn to help yourself out.

13. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    Just because we haven't liked one piece of your work doesn't mean you should give up. There are plenty of things all of us have worked on restlessly, and then didn't get any compliments. I am sorry we have all made you feel bad, but I must also say this is life. It isn't fair. Even finished products have room to improve. If you do leave, I say good bye to you. I am sure you will be missed. If you stay, awesome. We don't want to lose a good member.

Please think it thoroughly.

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    umm...good for you? You want a cookie?

15. Shade

Shade

Since everyone else has about covered what I was going to say about the whole critiscm schpiel, I'll leave it at this: We are losing (or about to lose) way too many great members, way too fast. This past week I've had many veteran members tell me they are preparing to bow out.

To that, I say: n0 plz.

This place does lose something everytime a good member leaves, believe it or not. Every member is a brick in the building, so to speak; I view us as somewhat of a family. We go through all of these developments, discoveries, debates, dramas, humor, what have you; everything. We all get to know each other so well, we interact with each other for years on end, all under an intelligent and closely knit atmosphere that gives this place a feel like no other on the internet. Having family members depart from a good portion of your life isn't fun; the same somewhat goes here. Whoever or whatever, you will be missed. By me, at least.

With that said, I do hope you will leave reconsidering an option. If not, then I am sorry it turned out this way, and I am sorry to see you leave. Best of luck in life.

16. Atma

Atma

Nipple Rockets! Pending Member
    My parachute is a knapsack
    Learning Inform 7
    Okay. I may only be a trial member and I may not know any of you well yet (hell I just know you guys barely from what I have read) but I do know some things. So listen to the newb, she'll help you.

I, myself, am incredibly new to romhacking. I dug up a ROM of an NES game I played about a billion times growing up, downloaded multiple programs, kept the ones I felt worked best, and have been learning how all this works. I've found multiple documents I've printed out and stapled together that have helped me and I keep them by me at all times in case I get stuck. I know my first hack is going to be completely terrible on many different levels, but nobody ever perfects anything on the first try. I know if I posted it anywhere publically, I'd be made a laughing stock of. I'm alright with that, because for me right now, this is a trial and error process. Not everyone's going to like absolutely everything I'll ever do with my new-found hobby. It's the way the world works. Also, I looked at your hack topic and I can say I only found constructive crit of what you did, along with some suggestions. (Okay so there was one guy who was just a teensy bit rude.) I'd be glad if that's what my work got. Especially on a board like this, you should be glad nobody completely thrashed you.

If I had given up and "retired" every time I felt like I failed at something or felt like that's what others were telling me, I would have given up all my other hobbies and turned into a worthless, flaming, troll slug scouring the net to spread misery years and years ago. My main goal in life is to be an artist of some sort. Mangaka/comic book artist, video game character design, or even fantasy illustration. I'd also like to write long epic fantasies in old styles. These two things are some of the most heavilly critiqued, harsh, and relentless things to be in. Despite all that, I don't want to ever give up. Not until I'm published so I can say "I did it!" It's the same with hacking. Wouldn't you feel great after completing a hack that took years to create and put it out on the web? It's yours. You'd be able to take pride in it, no matter what anyone says. All professionals in all areas get shit from all kinds of fans and anti-fans. It's no different than us who are wishing to be pro someday.

Do reconsider. I know it sucks to be doing your hobby or being interested in what you are sometimes and it feels like it's just not worth it, but once you pull through that, you find you can work even better than before. So come on. Stay. People here obviously like you enough. Stay for them at least. Just don't ruin yourself like this, mangs.

17. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    That's Hez, don't mind him, he's always like that.

Anyway, seriously BadCopNoDonut, with everyone wanting you to stay this much, how can you leave?

Reconsider man, seriously.

18. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    APRIL FOOLS!!!

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    ...shut up.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher