don't click here

Time to lay an old X-Treme myth to rest

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by hxc, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Various people around here have claimed to have played Sonic X-Treme at one point, right?

First of all, Sonic X-Treme was only EVER playable at E3 1996. Everywhere else was video footage.

Big game sites state that people were not impressed with the short demo that was available at E3, which leads onto everyone thinking the game wasn't all that good, right?

Yes, they do. Want to know why? Because it was the Fang Boss arena coded by Chris Coffin. Without a boss. Would you have a good impression of a game if you played a boss arena which had no boss? I think not.

Mike Wallis Quotes for evidence.

So. Unless you went to E3 1996, or worked for sega, you never played X-Treme. You also can't say it was bad because people said the E3 build was bad.

Thankyou.

2. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    *time travels back to 1996 and steals xtreme cd*

But seriously, just because it was at E3 1996 doesn't mean it was the only place it was avaliable to play, surely it's hard to know if devlopers privatly spreaded what they had etc. ?

And you're sure no demos were ever sent to the press?

3. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Well, the only build that was ever playable ANYWHERE, would have been a Chris Coffin boss build, which until the last 5 months of the project, did not represent X-Treme in its entirety. The only other place it was supposed playable is Epcot, at disney, which I am currently investigating.

I will of course confirm about press, but I am quite sure that any press coverage where the game was played, if any at all (I can't find any where they say they have played it!), was done under supervision from Sega.

Developers privatly sharing is of course possible, but that was not the point of this topic :P

4. Zeck

Zeck

Well, wouldn't that make the disc that was sold to the "anonymous collector" the build at E3 1996?

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well no, since this build is a boss build, compared to a level test (which is what was sold).

6. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    The annonymous collector build is either on the NiGHTS engine, or a very very early build of when Chris Coffin's engine became the main one.

7. Zeck

Zeck

But you never fight a boss, so it would still be a level test then?

EDIT: Never mind.

8. hxc

hxc

spotteddove Researcher
    Chris Coffins Boss engine was originally for bosses only, but later became the main engine for the entire game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.