don't click here

Mean Bean is being mean

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dr. D'nar, Mar 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. D'nar

Dr. D'nar

I wouldn't trust me if I were you Member
    I know Mean Bean Machine isn't really related to Sonic, but this is related to hack so here goes.

I've come to like Mean Bean Machine as a puzzle game. Problem is, in practice mode, it gets way too fast way too soon. I can sustain level 15 in Tetris, but this is ridiculous! So I wanted to find a way to change the score and stuff so that it didn't keep bumping the level up.

The score is always showing up at OxE10C and the beans at OxE116. Problem is, neither determin what happens with the level. So now, I have to find a way to change the level. Problem is, 01 is way to common a value, or 02 or 03.

2. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    What you could do, is while the game is running, open up the emulator in TSearch. Then when it's on level 1, search for 01, then when it's on level 2 searchfor 02 out of those previous values, and continue till you find the variable.

You can then go to that location in the ram hex editor, see what else is around that area to find where it is in the savestate (you might have to convert that area from little endian to big endian to search the savestate), then search the rom for things that access that address and NOP it.

A bit complicated, but you'll learn a ton of stuff on the way :)

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Kega Fusin's cheat finder might make things a lot easier.

4. Dr. D'nar

Dr. D'nar

That's how I found the level and beans: I searched for the values. Problem is, 01, 02, et cetera are much too common to keep track of. Two byte values are much rarer.

Where can I find this cheet finder thing?
    EDIT: Found it.

5. Dr. D'nar

Dr. D'nar

Found it.

Score: E10C (32 bit?)
    Beans: E116 (16 bit?)
    Level: E12B (8 bit)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.