don't click here

So, Sonic Riders was released today...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sakura Courage Solo, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    I just beat the heroes side of the game. It's not that bad. It didn't frustrate me that the controls aren't the best and the AI sucks. The cutscenes were kind of funny. I loved the one where Tails tries to explain how the boards float and Knuckles' brain explodes <3

so its okay.

2. Molotok

Molotok

Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha Member
    Not all of my posts are long on that subject, and besides, with some subjects you just can't do something in a small amount of... lines. :P

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    [quote name='Shade's Review']Then the next day, Eggman announces the "EX World Grand Prix", and all contestants must pay an entree fee of one chaos emerald,[/quote]
    Sonic is retarded to comply with that :P

4. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Fiz likes it =O This must be good. Too bad I lack the funds to buy this when it comes out here.

5. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Let me say this.

SEGA Carnival and SEGA Illusion bring tears of joy to my eyes like SA2's GHZ couldn't even begin to.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    ...sexpixplz?

7. Shade

Shade

Still trying to unlock those two tracks.

I think I have to reform my earlier score from a 2.5 to a 3 out of 5. Once you really get a grip on the weird handling, this game is an absolute blast. It brings some unique ideas to the table (the air system, and riding turbulence) and has some other gimmicks like character specific shortcuts and a huge variety of gameplay altering gear. The game is fast, furious, and after a while, fun. I still say they need to make the handling more user friendly in the sequel. Turning is a biatch sometimes. Oh, and this game will give you a run for your money, as it is indeed challenging. But you know something? After getting over the akward handling, I actually enjoy it. Not bad for a spinoff. Not great, but not bad. Again, I state that my opinions are from owning the Gamecube version.

Still, I would absolutely rent first. And I still stand by what I say, in that I wouldnt buy it at full price. Should you find it around the 20 (maybe even 30, if you are really into the genre or are obsessive about owning Sonic games) mark, then I might suggest snatching it. But rent first.

8. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    As I theorized. Seems like a good game to pick off the used rack. However it's pretty low on my list of games to purchase.

Oh Suikoden II, I can dream.

9. Shade

Shade

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/driving/s...ers/review.html
    One of the first "real" reviews I've seen put up. I'd say they nailed everything I was thinking/trying to say. May as well give it a read if you are still at odds about playing the game. I'd say it is definitley worth a rent, but may be an iffy purchse. I'll let you decided that.

Oh, and I finally unlocked the two Sega tracks and three Sega characters. Nice little unlockables, to be sure. If you can be arsed to stick with the game long enough to get em, that is.

Anyway, I was just curious: Am I the only one that thinks it would be really awesome if Hideki Naganuma did the music for the alleged sequel?

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Pics/info on the SEGA tracks, plz?

11. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    I'm not putting these up on my site until this weekend, but here are a few shots fresh from my capture card:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry about the watermarks. There were a lot of people hotlinking from the screens I already have up. That's the downside of being able to give coverage like this. XP

The Sega levels are a compilation of worlds from every Sega game this gen, with NiGHTs being the obvious exception. There are worlds for Samba de Amigo, Billy Hatcher, NiGHTs, Super Monkey Ball, Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5, and ChuChu Rocket. I'm probably forgetting a couple. No Burning Rangers, though. =/
    One thing I'd like to add: the announcer refers to NiGHTs as both a "he" and a "she" at various times. Amazing that Sonic Team thought about that.

13. Shade

Shade

*Points towards the pixelated roads in some of the shots*

that's what I was talking about earlier. The animation is smooth, as well as the framerate, and the game looks great in motion. But some of the graphics are really half assed. A lot of the roads and foilage are horribly, horribly pixelated. You'll notice a lot of those inconsistent visuals as you play.

14. Dark Mirage

Dark Mirage

BC
    Yay! I got approved :P

Anyhow, about the NiGHTS being reffered to as a girl and a guy, I'm not so sure that was actually a "joke". Apparently there is a glitch in the game where one of the lines refers to EVERY character as a girl at one point. So maybe it wasn't as intentional as it seems.

But I agree with Shade on all points. I expected a lot more out of the game myself. I really enjoy the concept and design, but I really dislike the core gameplay. Levels like Babylon Garden are just poorly designed, as are the controls in general. Thankfully, Shadow taught me my lesson and I didn't buy the game so much as I "borrowed" it. Hopefully the sequel won't feel so rushed.

I'm really glad they included NiGHTS though. I wish they'd just port the damn game to the cube though. If they don't want to make a new one I don't see why they can't at least give us the old one

15. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    I bet Omochao is just taking revenge =P

16. TapamN

TapamN

That's because Sonic Riders uses next-to-no bilinear filtering.

17. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    I see no reason for NiGHTS to have a board. That's all you'll hear out of me about Riders until I get it.

18. XFox Prower

XFox Prower

x86 Assembly, Tails Search Assistant
    You're looking for that game too? It's only $300 on ebay now, and not much less as used :P. My friend's tearing himself apart trying to find a new copy of the game. As for Riders, I've beaten both Story Modes and am trying to get a gold in the Heroes Cup of Grand Prix. Egg Factory always ruins my 1st place streak (they don't cheat on Free Race of course), but it's building up my rings to buy more stuff with each failure.

19. Dark Mirage

Dark Mirage

BC
    :o no fucking way. I never should have traded in suikoden II or one. I bought Suikoden 1 for $20 at zellars years ago. I can't belive how stupid I was. I still have my burned copy of Suikoden II... is that worth anytHING? :P

20. Oh god, they're turning NiGHTS into Wetflame!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.