don't click here

Soned1/2 questions

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by RyanHedge, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    Oy I'm nearing my post limit I hope I make it.

Anyway I'm trying to figure out how to use soned.

1: It says in soned2 that you should be able to open up S3K, S2B, SCD, S1, and S2 but all I can get open is S1 and S2. Why is this? Have I not decompile the games correctly?

2: I can't figure out the tile editor. Can someone help please?

If someone has a guide to soned1/2 can you make a link to it?

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

3. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    Um.. Rika Chou all that's telling me is you have a */doc Dir.....

Now that I thought about it I've read thoughs and there not very clear..

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    You're not very clear.

5. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

Open the Docs folder located in the folder where SonED is found. Wow. There are README files in there...

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    If you don't understand, you aren't ready to use it. Try SonED .50b first -- I think it's more on your level.

Or fuck your ROM with ESE. You'd call that a nice hack.

7. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    I'm not that dense to use ESE. How come I can't get the Split.bat to correctly decompile
    S3K or any other Sonic game that it should?

8. moonknightus

moonknightus

Pending Member
    Perhaps not the kindest way of putting it, but in the end the previous posts are right. If you are not intuitive enough to understand the documentation, then you will not be able to properly use the tool no matter who tells you how to do it.

The documentation is there to tell you how to do it. RTFM.

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

10. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    [​IMG]

OMG nothing on bringing S3K into the progam!

11. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

C:\SONED\DOCS\OMG YOU FINALLY FOUND IT!!!!

Of course...that may not be your drive layout...let alone, your drive letter. And I wouldn't consider ESE dense since I use it to get some jobs done quickly.

EDIT: See above. ;)

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Kindly tell me exactly where it says it's supposed edit S3&K.

13. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    [​IMG]

Clear enuogh....

14. moonknightus

moonknightus

Pending Member
    The current version of SonED2 only supports editng Sonic 1 or Sonic 2. This is evidenced by the "Project Files.txt" file. Read:

The first line in any "Project File" is always the project type value.
    Valid type values are as listed:

1 - Sonic 1 Level/Tile/Object Editing Project
    2 - Sonic 2 Level/Tile/Object Editing Project

These are the only two available types. To be fair, it would appear that the Hacking CulT description may need to be updated, but the answer did indeed lie in the documentation.

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Hacking-cult is incorrect. Sorta.

It can edit level art, mappings, layout of Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD. You have to extract all the data and create the project files yourself. It cannot, however, edit the object layout.

16. RyanHedge

RyanHedge

Pending Member
    Thanks alot! :) I'm going to tinker with Soned 1 and 2. Also I'll play around with ESE before I pass judgement. Since I finally got my Cyber City Zone to a point that you can see some of what it should look like I'm going to rework it until it looks good. Finally I'm going to start reading on how to program in 68K assembly.

17. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Instead of making a new unneccesary thread I have a question about Soned2, At present I cant download it from Stealths website, can someone post me a download link? im currently having a play with Sonic 2 and Sonic 2 BETA as im thinking about making a simple level layout hack plus enabling Hidden Palace.

DJ

18. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    This is why SonED is better than Lunar Magic. Any shitwad can pick up Lunar Magic and make a shitty hack while jacking off to FuSoYa, but it takes skill to make a Sonic hack of any kind, let alone a good one.

19. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I think allowing less technical people but more artistic people the chance to make a Sonic hack is better than only allowing techie people, even with the possible cost of the tool being abused.

In any case, ESE easily allows people to butcher the games, by creating terrible palettes etc. but rarely do people do that.

20. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Ah, but Quickman, just because someone made a "For Big Dumb Idiots" level editor, doesn't mean good hacks can exist (example: Odyssey, being made by BMF, uses a shitload of ASM hacks to add in things such as a ropeway level and a custom boss), and just because someone made a "techie-only" level editor, doesn't mean shitty hacks can't exist (example: all those halfassed hacks of Sonic 1/2 that have only new level names and palletes)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.