don't click here

Sonic Adventure EX

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Keoro, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keoro

Keoro

move.b #$FF,($DEADBEEF).w Oldbie
    SA:EX is my hack of Sonic 2. Features include:
    - All new levels
    - Every time you collect a ring your max speed slightly increases
    - Updated sprites for Sonic

Level select code is 1 2 3 4 (don't go to MCZ though; the art is fudged)

In Release 1, the only completed levels are EHZ1 and CPZ1.

Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    EHZ1 now starts on a beach.

[​IMG]
    In case you couldn't tell, that's right after one of those "run-down-the-wall" loops.

[​IMG]
    Sonic's going so fast he's running on the wind!

[​IMG]
    Metal Highway Zone is an all-out city speedway, with tons of inversions.

Download (Release 1)

2. Awesome art! Although I'd fix the clouds in Emerald Hill if I were you.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The art needs some serious improvment. Tiles are broken.

4. Keoro

Keoro

For the broken clouds: The only reason that entire BG is still there is that the deformation doesn't fit my new art.

Rika Chou: Exactly what do you mean by "broken tiles"? (if you mean in the MHZ screenshot, it usually goes too fast to notice)

5. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I love the sonic sprite!!
    (I actually kidding, I don't)
    The level art is beautiful and matches the Sonic theme!
    (it actually looks like dog shit, I'm just trying to be nice)

6. Shade

Shade

I agree with Rika. While a lot of the art itself isn't bad persay, the tiles are broken in places. They look too edgy and not smooth, like your ramp in the second screen, and the two metal strips in your CPZ. Also, the metal blocks in CPZ look a bit too plain. Its up to you, but I myself would try and make them look a bit more "busy" if you get my meaning.

Also, the sand in the first screen is a bit harsh to look at, but that's just me :P

To sum it up, some of the art may benefit from slight touch ups, and the tiles (particularly the EHZ background) are indeed broken and some of the new art needs a lot of smoothing out (literally).

7. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Rofl Hez, that actually fooled me, I was like "Hez being positive... wtf?" XD

But yeah I like the look of this hack, it's a good start, that CPZ is quite unique :thumbsup:

EDIT: I was fooled :P

8. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Conceptually and design-wise, I'm loving it. I like the fast movement and speed-dependent terrain. However, some of this terrain is way too edgy, as others have said. Smoothing out the curves would be greatly beneficial. Also, making the levels more varied in structure (add multiple paths) and adding objects would help.

As for your new BG art, you're working from a split disassembly? If so, I might be able to help with your layer deformation. It isn't really that hard at all unless you wanna go for something like HTZ's BG.

That section near the end of CPZ 1 though, with all the half-loops, was killer ^_^

9. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    Interesting concepts. Might they be worked into a new special stage entrance?
    As for the art, it's all great except for the obvious stuff, like broken tiles and the life icon, which I don't believe anyone's noticed yet.

10. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    Ok, quick review then off to bed for me.

You can greatly improve on the art, but its a nice start. I do prefer CPZ art.

Collision is pretty good and thought out.

And I do agree with Rika, the tiles can be sorted, normally, you go into the tiles and etc when goin' fast.

EDIT: spelling mistake.

11. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    Playing through it, my main criticism is with the art, but I'll start with level design. For one thing, you have alot of objects in seemingly random positions, and many tiles, especially in CPZ, seem to just be thrown around due to lack of end pieces. However, the speed theme is pretty good. In one loop in EHZ1, I went flying off the edge of it rather than completeing the loop.
    In the graphics, there should be more grass in EHZ, just running on the checkerboard tiles doesn't seem right. The CPZ blocks need more details.

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Well the floor just ends in the third picture. The clouds are not fitting together.

If you're going to edit the art, you should spend much more time on it. Your art lacks detail and does not fit with the background at all.

13. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    saxman already programmed that, so you could look at his IPS if you need help. Though to be honest, it's just a matter of adding one instruction to the ring object...

14. Korou Tenshi

Korou Tenshi

UK
    I've just had a play through this and I have to say that you might need a bit more practice at object palecemt and layouts. Your levels have all sorts of objects all over the place, and the layouts, although original and fun, don't seem to work as well as you might have liked them to and are sometimes very confusing. The art however, only needs slight improvements, more likeley to CPZ, because some of the tiles look too plain. also, the background parts you added to CPZ were very original and cool, but it looks a bit bland.

Fix these things and I'm sure your hack will be alot more enjoyable :)

15. Keoro

Keoro

I would say something here, but this probably speaks for itself:

[​IMG]

(Credit to Diablohead for the MMF BG this is built off)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.