don't click here

Level art contest

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Rika Chou, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    Well, the thing that really needs to be enlarged is the grass- look at the grass in say, Green Hill Zone and notice how thick it is.

2. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Looks pretty much good, only the brown stuff on the grass in the background looks amateur-ish, and the foreground grass could be a bit more detailed.

3. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Sadly, that's better than I could do. I'm not trying to say it sucks, as it's pretty good for pixel art.

4. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Beh, I forgot to update this on the 16th as promised. x_x This has been sitting on my hard drive since the 14th, though, since I haven't been bothered to do anything to it over the holidays, which, unfortunately means no background as of yet - I did attempt something at one point, but it turns out I suck at backgrounds as of now. =P

Anyway, here's the latest version of Scrap Yard Zone (if anyone can think of a more fitting name, don't hesitate to suggest it), circa 14/12/05. A little more developed than last time (linked due to large image size):

http://xswoifyu.siperoonline.co.uk/Knux/Factory_Zone_5.gif

The 'hump' of ground on the right is just a way of showing the tiles for six different slopes all at once (three different gradients; however the pattern on the ground has meant I've needed to make 2 versions of each depending on which way the gradient rises); so excuse the slight 'jagged' look to the shape, as the tiles used were never really designed to be arranged to form a curve.

The ground looks a little sparse in some places; I've thought of adding some large pipes and other larger details to break it up a little, but as of yet have done nothing. Also, I plan on creating tiles to allow the small and large girders (the large ones are foreground objects that Sonic can stand on, while the small ones are just scenery) to be placed on slopes.

For a background, I envisaged a wasteland surrounded by a chain-link fence, with mountains in the background - I will draw this eventually, but probably not until I've drawn a bit more of the foreground. The background will use different shades of purple, ? la Spring Yard's mountains and buildings, with the wasteland part probably being a very slightly green-tinted grey (though this is subject to change depending on whether or not it looks like crap).

Any suggestions / constructive criticism / comments / are welcome. Rika, if there's anything about this you don't like, do say so and I'll endeavour to alter it. If there's nothing majorly wrong with it and (after I've added a bit more detail and more slopes / ramps to it) you wish to use it, I'll start separating the individual 8x8 tiles ready to create the 16x16 and 128x128 mappings.

Ciao for now. =P

5. Dang, mine sucks compared to that. <_<

Also, could I use a couple of these that aren't used by Rika Chu yet? ;)

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Maybe, but it does leave it open for, say, BG expandability. And even if I don't change the collision index, I can put in ramps.

EDIT: quote tags fixed.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Opinion time..

[​IMG]

How does this rock look? Does it fit with the rest of the level? Please point out anything you see "wrong" with this picture. (I know the grass under the rock looks odd, so don't tell me that.)

8. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    Your screenshot may have the rock in that particular space just to show how the rock looks compared to the rest of the level, and if this is so, and you actually didn't plan to leave the rock in that particular spot in the final version of the level, ignore what I'm about to say.. But if that was how you were wanting it to look, with the rock near the tree, I think it looks a bit too...cluttered, for lack of a better word. The rock fits well, but don't put it extremely close to a tree or other very large object, to avoid the cluttered appearance.

Also, for a little update with mine, I've had a ton of stuff going on so I've been a bit of a slackass when it comes to hacking. Act 1 of my hack is a bit over 50% done. I hope to hit it hard for a bit tonight/tomorrow and hopefully get nearly done(75-80%) with act 1 at least.

9. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    The rock fits in, though something looks off at that little circle in the NW corner of the rock.

10. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    You are exactly right. I just threw this together in paint.

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I decided that I would rather use original clouds, rather than ones from another game.

OMG VOTING TIME!!

[​IMG]

Please, tell me what five (5) clouds I should use. You can also tell me if you have any ideas on how they can be improved.

These clouds are all original hand draw by me.

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    0 screams real to me, so I'll go with that.

13. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I like 0, 6, D and E.

It might be a good idea to write an algorithm to randomly generate cloud graphics at the start of every level.

14. It almost looks a little too good. I think the shading is a lot more realistic in comparison with the rest of the level, and could benefit from being a little more...cartoony, I suppose. But that might just be me.

15. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    I, personally, like 0, 3, 5, 9, and f.

All those clouds look really nice Rika.

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    0, 2, B, D, E here. =P

17. stormislandgal