don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    Just added a feature to my hack to see invisible blocks in a debug build rather than debug mode (Mostly because I removed it) and I noticed something strange in Labyrinth Act 1
    upload_2024-4-15_23-12-43.png
    There are invisible blocks above this section after the climb with the red spring.
    The invisible blocks are used to make sure Sonic properly gets crushed by the cork when it hits the ceiling, like here:
    upload_2024-4-15_23-9-19.png
    But the water never raises that high at that point, so it's possible in that a prototype, or in a planning stage, the water was supposed to reach the ceiling at this point, and the rings were to entice the player into getting themselves trapped and killed.

It could also be there to prevent you from clipping if you try retracing your steps back to this point but I tried to speedrun doing that and the water was too fast for me to be able to crush myself. And it's not used to align the cork with the ceiling, as the object itself detects for tiles since object on object interaction outside of Sonic isn't possible.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  2. Kilo

Kilo

Canada
    The Japanese Sonic Twitter account released a new render for Sonic's 33rd anniversary
    [​IMG]
    Overall this a massive step up from 2022's which caused massive drama over how low quality the render's posing was.
    [​IMG]
    But not only that, because this is the 33rd anniversary, Sonic's render is also a reference to Sonic 3's Japanese box art! Which I thought was neat.
    upload_2024-4-20_9-28-22.png

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Can they please just redesign Sonics mouth on these official models

4. God, it's so refreshing to see new (good) 3D Sonic renders.

I agree they still needs to improve his mouth tho'. But still a nice improvement from last two years.

Also, technically, it's second time we got a good 3D Sonic render this year:
    [​IMG]

5. Kilo

Kilo

Canada
    I am also in agreement that the mouth needs to be updated. If they could adapt the way Uekawa draws mouths that'd be awesome. But at the very least they're improving on posing, expression, and colors.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That mouth design was hideous when they first adopted it like 2 decades ago, the fact they're still using it is mind boggling. It's never been in a single good image.

7. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    I don't get the controversy? I just thought they are okay. I never saw comments how the renders from 2010 to 2020(?) looked ugly until now. That's more of design choice, I guess.

8. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

Hi everyone, anyone know where can I get this render from the back box art for Sonic Lost World? Can't find it anywhere :( Thanks (also sorry if this is not the right thread to ask about this XD)
    images - 2024-04-20T211753.122.jpeg

9. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    As far as I'm aware, that particular render was never released in an isolated form. There should be plenty of high quality scans of it from the box or magazines, at least. Just with a background in the way.

10. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

That is really unfortunate :( that pose is quite cool, but thanks for helping me charcoal ^^

11. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    You wanna know something really funny about the version of Sonic 2 seen in Sonic Jam? (And by "funny", I mean replace the "nn" with "ck".)

The code for drawing Sonic 1's Special Stages and its objects still exists, unreferenced, even though the original Genesis game removed this code. Even the Knuckles in Sonic 2 version seen in Sonic Jam removes it. I guess this was just hidden in the source code?

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  13. WamWooWam

WamWooWam

Ireland
    My computer broke, so for now, nothing
  14. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    The aging desktop I use at work is roaring like a dying badger as I burn through these plastic hills. I have experienced true nirvana. My life is complete.

15. Kilo

Kilo

Canada
    Encountered an interesting bug on the Special Stage results screen.
    upload_2024-4-26_10-27-54.png
    This was also a great reminder that as bad as Sonic 4 is now, it used to be worse.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm not going to lie, I kept my money after playing the demo on 360 back at launch and haven't touched it since.

This is sickeningly bad. I'd only ever watched footage of experts playing and would fast forward when the music became unbearable. Experiencing Sonic 4 live all these years later has me genuinely worried for the people who defended this back in the day.

It's an impressive port, if not just for letting it share your computer screen for any length of time.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm curious if the tilt/touch stuff works properly on mobile.

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Can confirm touch controls work as you'd expect both on mobile and tablet. Haven't tried to see if tilt controls do.

EDIT: tilt controls did not work on my iPhone when I turned them on.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024 at 9:06 AM
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.