don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    Happy birthday, Iizuka! You're way cool and whatnot!

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
  4. Damn, that magazine predicted both Sonic.exe and Cyberspace.

5. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    That's just Sonic.exe's long lost cousin. 'Nuff said. :ruby:

6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Sonic Frontiers' double jump storage is a very odd mechanic.

When you jog or boost/airboost off of a platform, it behaves about as expected. Sonic forgoes his first jump, and you only get the weaker second jump, which is how double jumps work in pretty much every platformer.

For some reason however, whenever you dropdash, slide, or spindash off of a platform, you just get both jumps for some reason? And the dropdash isn't even consistent about it! If you jump in the ball form, you get two jumps, but the second you unfurl you only get the double jump. Here's a video demonstrating this very janky mechanic:

I love Sonic Team but they make some of the oddest decisions I've ever seen

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  7. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Question, is there any logic behind Green Hill's background having its vertical scrolling in reverse? I always chalked it up to a mistake, but the Sonic Mania team seemed to think it was deliberate, as they replicated it with their Green Hill.

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I always liked this, because (to me at least) it gives the illusion of looking downwards when up higher and looking upwards when down low; which is a pretty natural thing to do even if it's not conveyed as such in 2D videogames.

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I considered they might have been going for this, but it would be weird for them to do that only for that zone.

I don't suppose the source code sheds any light on whether it was intentional or not?

10. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    Not the source code, at least not at the moment, but a prototype might have answers for us.
    Let's take a look at the GamePV footage of Sonic 1

This is a strange prototype of Sonic 1 that a few of us like to call Revision 0.5. This is because Green Hill Zone has it's Revision 1 parallax, while the rest of the levels still have Revision 0 or even broken parallax. And it even has some prototype object layouts, seen in Spring Yard Act 1 near the end where this right facing red spring is a yellow spring in the final game.
    upload_2024-3-20_5-49-40.png
    The working theory is that the extra parallax effects were intended for the worldwide Revision 0 release, but Sonic Team could not get it working in time and so they used the more primitive parallax just to get something more consistent and presentable, and then finish it up for Revision 1.
    Evidently since Green Hill was the only level to have it's Rev 1 parallax done, we can assume it had the most time spent on it. So they probably put more detail into the depth of the vertical scrolling, a treatment that the rest of the levels did not have enough time for.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  11. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    So even as far back as the original game, they put all their effort into making the first stage really wow the player while the rest of the game got the shaft, warts and all. Yeah, that tracks. :V

12. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    You only need to really sell the player on the first level to get them to play the rest of the game, regardless of quality.

13. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
  14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    That fucking barrel is REAL?!

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    At EPCOT, no less. Funny how the article mentions living in LA and going to Disneyland, and then he also has a photo in front of EuroDisney's castle. Quite the travels back then.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Epcot had the barrel???

17. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    Ooh, Sonic's Barrel of Doom! Very scary!

18. Hmm. Looks like this site is just now learning about SEGA's area at Innoventions.

[​IMG]

Here's a fun fact. When the Dreamcast and SA1 came out. They made a brand new area promoting them.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  20. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Sometimes I wonder how a SEGA-Disney partnership would've looked if they took things further, and the topic comes to mind even more these days with Super Nintendo World at Universal. Sonic is a bold enough IP to where it could easily make a big presence as a themed land somewhere like at Universal's Epic Universe (would certainly be amusing to have it in the same theme park as Mario :V) or Island's of Adventure. Just imagine what a Green Hill-themed looping + corkscrew coaster could be like with todays technology.