don't click here

Sonic x Angry Birds Generations (collaboration project announced)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Snub-n0zeMunkey, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member

Sonic x Angry Birds
    idk if anyone here is into Angry Birds but this was just announced. They sure get a lot of mileage out of those Generations renders don't they?

more info here
    https://x.com/tailschannel/status/1768015423264493940?s=46&t=MHTgOqh_ka45HS8oxL2mzw
    UPDATE:
    https://x.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1768306155770851637?s=46&t=MHTgOqh_ka45HS8oxL2mzw

Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Souplike

Souplike

I just do stuff, I guess... Member
    Aquatic Ruin Zone
    Chaotix Re-Bound
    I don't expect the collab to be that good if it's for an Angry Birds game. Take, for example, Angry Birds Epic. The Sonic collaboration was slapping a PNG of Sonic over Chuck, then calling it a day. Though Sega has bought Rovio as one of its subsidiaries, I don't expect them to change their way of promoting other franchises. (Though the event on Sonic Dash was worth it cause; why not have Knight Red homing attack Eggman?)

sonic-angry-birds-epic.jpg

Not only that, a similar thing is happening for the Puyo Puyo game coming on Apple Arcade. You can't expect everything to be that exciting if it's not that interesting.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    Do you think Angry Birds fans have design debates like we do?

4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Yes, hilariously enough. There's been some comeuppance for a long while about AB ditching the classic design and art for the movie designs, especially since even when it's not the movie designs it's just a more cutesy version of the classic style, which AB fans also dont like.

Writing this post made me realize that these fandoms are like twins

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. aria

aria

growl from the digital haze Member
    i saw soned2 supports chaotix five minutes ago
    all this is making me realize, is that ANGRY BIRDS GENERATIONS is a legitimate possibility.

I wonder if there's a "modern design" character that they absolutely hate the idea of being in classic angry birds like Shadow.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  6. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
  7. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    For one week only. Better make the most of this historic event, one day in the distant future your grandkids will ask what you were doing when the Angry Birds met Sonic. You don't want to disappoint them...

8. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    I mean tbf I'm not even an Angry Birds fans at all, but the original mobile designs do look more appealing and unique to me than the more generic movie designs. Pretty much any fanbase of a long running series is bound to have arguments about design and such. Of course not all of them are as intense as the Sonic fanbase lmao.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    so I'm presuming that this means we're getting the return of the angry birds characters in sonic dash

10. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I’ve never seen Rayman fans arguing over his design, and it was different in almost every mainline title…

Oh wait, there are like 5 of us, Rayman fans :V

11. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    I, for one, dislike Rayman having two separate eyes, if that's of any use to you.

12. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    On one hand, the classic designs are iconic. That's what people know Angry Birds as.
    On another, the movie designs do fit a lot more into the Sonic universe (Not 100%, but at least they have legs to run on) so it makes sense for this collab.

Would've been neat if, in Sonic Dash, they also added tokens for the old Angry Birds Epic collab from 2015. But it seems that Epic has been delisted. I doubt people are that upset about it though.

Seeing all this Angry Birds content certainly makes me nostalgic for the early 2010's. Unfortunately it seems like the series has been turned into a corporate shell of what I remember it... Angry Birds Friends? Angry Birds Dream Blast? It all just feels hollow. So I've got no plans to return to this series, and I imagine many others won't either. AB will be relevant just for this week with the Sonic stuff going on, and then immediately fade back into hollow mediocrity.

13. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    Rayman is a series with zero consistency in general. Rayman 1 and 2 for example almost don't even feel like they're from the same series lmao. None of the characters aside from Rayman himself even carry over. The settings and tone feel quite a bit different as well. So maybe Rayman fans are just really used to inconsistency :p .

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I mean, isn't being a "corporate shell" Angry Birds's bread and butter? The original game was a ripoff of a much less known free Flash game.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    I used to be into the series since 2011/2012/2013 (?). It's all thanks to my sister for recommending the series for me, I have played the classic, Seasons, the Rio crossover and Space (and Angry Birds Friends, too.). It has spawned TV series like Angry Birds Toons, Piggy Tales and Angry Birds Stella (the spin-off series discontinued btw). Then things get kind of ... odd. There's Star Wars and Transformers crossovers existed to please both the former and the latter fans and nothing else. Then I lost interest and start getting into other games like Sonic. A few years later, I watched Angry Birds Films for a first time and it was okay. That's all.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I remember there being a big stir over the Rabbids...

17. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    Yea that's still not a design criticism though. Just a criticism of a bunch of wacky creatures taking over one of your favorite franchises.