don't click here

'Super Monkey Ball Banana Rumble' announced (Switch, June 25th 2024)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by MykonosFan, Feb 21, 2024.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator

https://www.bananarumble.com
    Physical edition comes with some bonuses:
    [​IMG]
    The website is quite focused on the multiplayer offerings. 16 player online, local 4 player co-op stages, and a new story mode. Touts 200 all new stages, so not a port or remake like the last couple of releases.

Per Masayoshi Yokoyama, it's being developed by RGG Studios.
    https://x.com/yokoyama_masa/status/1760317094854635528?s=20

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
  2. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    Even with overalls, Aiai can't help but let his ass hang out
    upload_2024-2-21_16-5-1.png

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Interesting this is a Switch exclusive. I'd bet Nintendo paid to have something to fill out the 2024 lineup. More than likely a timed one.

4. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    Looks great, no noticeable railings or anything like Banana Blitz. I know some didn't like Banana Mania due to different physics, but that shouldn't be an issue in this game. The levels will be designed around the new physics so it should work better. Curious how split screen co-op is going to work with some of these levels clearly having tight sections that I can't imagine being fun to traverse with 4 people at once.

5. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah it's a timed exclusive

6. Vertette

Vertette

Looks good, I like how the new worlds look and it was about time they implemented online into one of these games.

I'm a bit curious about how Extra stages work, cause there's no lives and it'd be weird if they just plopped you into them with no fanfare like in Banana Mania. They should just steal the death counter from Paperball honestly.

7. Looks good but the game should be bloody multi-platform and also on Mobile

8. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    It has to be said that Banana Mania didn't exactly sell that well on most platforms by the looks of things. Obviously there isn't any proper sales data to go off but we do know it peaked at only 782 players on Steam, and 70% of its UK first week sales were just for the Switch version.

Considering all of that it's probably pretty good going that we even have this new game at all, and it's a no-brainer that it is just exclusive to Switch for now. Although at this rate it wouldn't surprise me much if we got a slightly different Apple Arcade-only edition down the line.

9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Having never played a monkeyball game, this looks like a fun way to pass the time at family gatherings.

10. PhazonHopper

PhazonHopper

Switch and PC are the only things with anything decent to play on them, so I don't really see the problem. This looks...okay. Monkey Ball keeps trying to be "back" but it really isn't.

11. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    I'd like to hear you elaborate on that part because I like it when people say stuff.

12. I beg the differ myself.

13. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    Personally I agree with PhazonHopper. This new game still doesn't got the sauce as the best way I can put it. The magic of the original 2 Monkey Ball games has been gone for a very long time. It's most evident in the art direction, the characters keep getting more cutesy and the levels more bright and pastel. While yes the characters are meant to be cute and the levels are vibrant It's come to a degree now where it's almost obnoxious? Especially with AiAi now looking like a toddler, when true Monkey Ballers know this is a MAN with a wife :colbert:. The levels also haven't been designed the same, while Banana Rumble hasn't made the mistake of adding rails like Banana Blitz only like 1 singelplayer level I saw in the trailer looked like a classic Monkey Ball level. Granted we've only seen like 4 so it's probably too soon to judge, but I'm not confident in it with how lackluster the new stages in Banana Mania were. Same with the music too, in recent times it's all just felt like generic poppy music that goes in one ear and out the other, it doesn't stick with you like the music of 1 and 2. So yeah, to me the series hasn't been here since 2002, we've just been playing a dressed up painted corpse of a series called Monkey Ball that hasn't been here in over 20 years. This definitely just seems like a GaaS to sell cosmetics for a multiplayer that tbh doesn't look that fun? Either way I'm not buyin this and I'll just play ROM hacks for the Gamecube games to satiate my Monkey Balling needs.

14. Trippled

Trippled

did that have new levels? I don't think so

15. I think we need a proper numbered sequel. A Monkeyball 3 with new art direction and a break from the childish Nintendo look the game has gone for since Blitz

16. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Is this being developed by RGG Studio? The website is being very vague about the actual developer.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    It is, that's something I'll add to the OP.
    https://x.com/yokoyama_masa/status/1760317094854635528?s=20

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Trippled

Trippled

eh alot of the GC Monkey Ball aesthetic came from limitations imo. i bet ya if they had more polygons to use they would have mit more cutesy looking instead of that 90s CG aesthetic during the GC era

not a nintendo look at all lol

its important to remember that the RGG Studio branding is only marketing because its not used in Asian regions of the game.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The original aesthetics came from Monkey Ball, the arcade game. They added an extra layer of polish for Super Monkey Ball.

20. Trippled

Trippled

its that early Silicon Valley computer look imo that is also seen in the VF2 CG Portrait series for the Saturn which was worked on by the person that created the character designs of Monkey Ball, Mika Kojima

Imo the look for Banana Rumble is very much the standard Japanese mascot look that can also be found for fictional mascots in Yakuza