don't click here

Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Fair enough. To me something like Ratchet and Clank got better stories and certainly much better scripts, but then I don't care much for their games and far enjoy Sonic more.

2. Snowbound

Snowbound

Random thought: To tie into the movie, I wonder if this’ll have movieverse skins (Movie Shadow in Shadow Gens, Movie Sonic over modern sonic and Baby Move Sonic over classic in reg gens)

3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    It's crazy this hasn't actually happened yet. The SOAH City leak about Colors Ultimate said we were supposed to have a Movie Sonic skin, but obviously that only ended up getting the movie Sonic aura. Frontiers was set up for movie skins for Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, but then they only released a couple of skins for Sonic unrelated to the movie and Tails and Knuckles only got birthday skins both tied to Amy that couldn't even be used in gameplay. Even Superstars got a million skins including the modern-based LEGO designs but still didn't add Movie skins...

4. Snowbound

Snowbound

Regarding Superstars, since that game is newer than the other titles you mentioned I wouldn’t be surprised if Sega released movie skin dlc this fall as a tie in for movie 3. That said, I share your surprise about the lack of movie skins in Colors U and Frontiers.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    What is with everyone's hard-on for movie stuff? Some of you were complaining that Sega wasn't making a tie-in game with the first movie before that was coming out.

6. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I'm saying it's crazy because it seems like something they would have already fully leaned into. My only guess why they haven't is that they would rather have a proper fur effect but that would be a whole thing to implement.

7. Vertette

Vertette

While I personally wasn't complaining about it, I did point out it was bizarre they didn't think to do anything around the release. The movie was good marketing.

8. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    it's funny that people wanted a movie tie-in game. Movie tie-in games don't exist anymore (at least not in the same way they used to).

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Pretty much. Why would anyone want the return of crappy tie-in games?

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Odd. I'm not "no green hill in modern, please" so much as I am "something other than green hill in modern, please"

11. (Insert villanous laugh here)

12. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    if the Sonic movies released in the mid-2000's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These would be outsourced to a small studio, made on a shoestring budget and be some of the worst shovelware ever made (they spent all the budget paying to get the rights to use Jim Carrey's likeness)

13. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    Sonic 1 would have you run around Green Hills doing mind numbing tasks with occasional screenshots from the movie.
    Sonic 2 would be a party game where the cutscenes are 5 second clips from the movie. :V

14. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Sonic 3 would randomly be one of the greatest Sonic games ever made

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Knuckles would be like the Ang Lee Hulk game where it's way closer to the games than the show itself, creating confusion

16. The handheld versions of all of them would somehow be on par with original genesis trilogy.

17. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Certain movie tie-in games that came out on lesser hardware often ended up being hidden gems simply because there’s less pressure. I remember the game based on the movie Monster House for GBA (which came out in 06 or 07, after the GBA had already been effectively replaced by the DS) got a surprisingly high review at IGN for being more or less a Link to the Past send-up.

I also loved the first two Harry Potter games on Game Boy Color, which released day and date with GBA, PS1 and PC versions (all considerably more advanced tech - the second had PS2, GameCube and Xbox versions as well). The GBC versions were more or less Final Fantasy clones that followed the books insanely closely - one of the devs was on ResetEra a while back and said they got way less oversight than the other console versions, so they more or less made the game they wanted to without being micromanaged to death by executives, and it shows.

Anyway, Sanic!

18. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    (Hello! Happy to meet you!) Personally I'm rather excited for this collection, if only because I know it's an excuse to figure out how Shadow works in a Frontiers-like gameplay style. Wonder what those cool and extreme new powers could be. Most obvious choice would be chaos powers like what Sonic Battle did, which would be tubular. I also saw someone personally hoping the new techniques could be related to his Black Arms heritage, no idea what that would look like but I'm not against it.

19. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    the Bug's Life travelers tales game on the PS1 is extremely solid too. and of course, the disney games on the Genesis were considered pretty good as well, even if they were intentionally absolutely brutal.

20. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    On that topic, since I don't think it was mentioned already, Spider-Man 2 (2004) has to be one of the best movie tie-in games ever made. I also remember the Incredibles games being good, but it has been a long time.