don't click here

Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Felik

Felik

Metal Sonic DLC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Silver DLC

2. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Sure but Metal Sonic you could argue that he's there because Eggman brought him.

3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Silver just needs his own damn game with his own story but I trust litterally nobody to make a good Silver story. Everyone wants to force Blaze into his life and who knows how fucked the current idea of "His future" is. It's just not an enticing concept under the circumstances.

I really don't think Shadow's story is tied into Sonic Generations at all. From what we've seen and read of Shadow Generations it just seems like such its own thing.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I don't need a story in a silver game. I just want Control with more hedgehogs. Which reminds me that I haven't played enough of Control

5. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    you have no idea how fast I would buy the OST for this game if there's a new Ohtani + Quinn song on it. I would actively set my keyboard on fire typing so fast to get it off of CDJapan LMAO

re: grinding discussion, I was pleasantly surprised by how rails worked in Frontiers, after being, like, traumatized by how awful they were in Heroes. SA2's rails are jank but they still feel like they're mostly solid with collision that is just a touch too small for the level of the precision the game asks of you. Heroes' rails are just busted. The number of times I fell to my death in Rail Canyon and Bullet Station and Frog Forest......

6. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I wonder how many people even remember Gold the Tenrec. I mean, I barely do, but I do.

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Honestly the Silver Age arc is kind of exactly what I fear? I don't think that was a very well executed story. On top of the fact that supposedly Silver's psychokinesis isn't special to him (according to what we've heard of currently official Future lore) and that someone just keeps "Sending him back..." I know there should be things that make where he comes from seem different but it seems like it's a very difficult line to walk without being a generic dystopian future, especially when the current time already has stuff seen in the Sonic Riders series and Heroes.

8. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I would prefer if Sega said "Silver just really likes going to the past because he has friends there" than send him back time again and again because something his threatening his future.

This scenario could kind of work immediately after Silver's ending in Sonic 06. While Silver did save his timeline, he doesn't know anybody there, or at least doesn't recognise them, kinda like in Back To The Future where Marty changes the future but only he is aware that anything changed. Despite being from the future, he has more social connections to people from the past, which leads to him staying in the past, or at least visiting it often.

This story doesn't work though, since 06 completely wiped the events of the game...

9. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The odd thing about Silver going back in time to fix his future again and again is that his future is stated to be a bright and cheerful one. I guess when he goes back sometimes it changes?

10. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    How Silver and Sega look when they try to explain his timeline:
    [​IMG]

11. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Sometimes I wonder, did the extra Marty we see playing on-stage in Back to the Future 2 come from the good future? Is the extra guitar solo the result of private lessons that that Marty's rich parents paid for? :eyebrow:

More on-topic, it'd be interesting to see something done with Silver's time-travel shtick, but I'm not sure Sonic games are good enough at continuity to pull that off. So here's a silly idea: What if every time Silver showed back up, it was explicitly a different one from whatever new future the last one caused? He probably wouldn't even recognize Sonic because to him it might be his first trip. Just an endless parade of fresh-faced psychokinetic dorks with different backstories, increasingly confused at the blue hedgehog that knows their name and insists they've met six other times. :V (Maybe at some point one of them does recognize him from an adventure Sonic hasn't had yet. The possibilities are never-ending!)

12. Trippled

Trippled

funnily enough, the division sonic team is stationed at (division 2), also ported persona 5 royal to non playstation systems, so I think its the same sort of the work by the same team

yeah - persona 5 royal was ported by ST members. its weird

and speaking of internal sega stuff. we have seen RGG Studio reaping the reqards of iterating on the same game 20 times by releasing something every year. best course of action to take by sonic frontiers team is to do same albeit not with full games all the time, shadow campaign, final horizon inbetween the bigger games etc. is hopefully what they do and is the smart thing imo, and to have that 9/10 sonic game hopefully one day

13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    upload_2024-2-7_12-45-36.png
    Me, having read the comics and knowing what the deal is.

Silver's sticking around in the present because he's spent so long fighting for his future that he now feels at odds with himself just kicking around there in peace time, so he's staying in the past to help his friends fight new threats as they arrive in order to protect that future. Seems like they're trying to make it as easy as possible to write Silver into stories now.

14. Mookey

Mookey

But the comics aren't game canon...

15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    They are! At least, officially.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah they straight up are. Referenced in TailsTube, Frontiers, the official social media artwork at Christmas, besides other "official" treatments that the previous auxiliary media casts never got on this scale.

17. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Considering the amount of people who are fans of the comics are a minority of the fan base I personally think that's a bad idea but cool SEGA.

18. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    It appears post-Archie stress is still prevalent among many people. Can't blame them, I can't get used to how IDW is the new norm even after nearly a decade.

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Eh, I dont think how many people have seen/played/watched a sonic thing is relevant to canon status. Like there are probably more people who have read IDW than played a game like Sonic Rivals, but despite its obscurity it is canon regardless.

20. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    It's not relevant for a game that never gets mentioned again its very important when characters like Tangle and Whisper get casually mentioned as being canon because unless you read the comics you have no idea who they are.

It's even WORSE if what the people are saying in here are true and tailstube and Twitter take overs require you to keep up with the 8000 issue and below selling comic to fully enjoy them.

This is a really bad idea for a multitude of reasons but when they start having comic characters show up in the games and everyone acts like they already knew them, then it'll be apparent.