don't click here

Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    I don't think I fully agree that they have been in a transitional period for a decade? I think it only really started with Frontiers, imo. The stuff before that just felt like they were doing whatever the hell they wanted until now they're like "Okay, let's try to properly embrace our series' quirkiness". Even though I mentioned that the sudden self-reference is clunky, I much rather have that than the absolute nothing that the stories have been starting with Colors, lol. It's nice that I don't need to absolutely depend on the gameplay to carry everything. I can be way easier on things when other stuff can lift the game up. Partially why I'm excited for Shadow Generations is because the few cinematic bits we saw are like, the production value that I wished Frontiers had throughout, lol.

I also know that this is very opinionated and I don't expect everyone to agree, but I also do genuinely think Sonic is in a good place right now. Not everything has been perfect but I'm glad we're getting things with some actual oomph and sauce again. That's what I mean by transitional period, I think we're legitimately close but there are some kinks to iron out like you implied by things feeling flat.

I mean that genuinely too, lol. I know Fans tend to say that as a cope but I do feel what Sega has been doing with the series has been in line with what I like about it.

2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Here's the video file for the trailer. Metadata gives us a couple clues:
    • Another mention of "Project Miller", wonder what "Miller" is supposed to mean.
    • The Drop Dash is included in the name of the video clips used. This includes "CityEscape_classic_dropdash" and "CityEscape_modern_dropdash", which is interesting.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    As I've said, the character has been in stasis for a while (in terms of storytelling) where he shows up but he isn't really "there". For 06 especially, basically none of that had the chance to happen and we'd need another game or otherwise canon story to retread similar themes to get him to move forward, because the Shadow we know has been idling ever since his own game. If the best way they see forward is to actually examine all of the character and force him to truly confront everything he's been, I don't see that as an inherently bad or regressive idea.

Hopefully just a leftover from sound mixing and there is no drop dash forced where it doesn't belong

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Classic Sonic getting the dropdash is pretty expected, even if it is nice to have, but the modern clip being labeled dropdash is odd given that he can't even curl into a ball in this game. Maybe it's just for filename consistency? Or it could just not mean anything for either character and I'm reading too deep into things..

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    They gave Classic the homing attack, so giving Modern the drop dash could actually happen. Huh. I guess Modern does curl when he drifts in this game, so it isn't too far removed. I hope it's better than Frontiers' implementation.

6. Souplike

Souplike

I just do stuff, I guess... Member
    Aquatic Ruin Zone
    Chaotix Re-Bound
    Just wondering how the Shadows story will play out. We know that he has to face Black Doom who comes back out of complete nowhere. We also know that we're getting new stages along with that.

Do you guys believe that this Shadow campaign will affect the Sonic lore in a bad way? I mean, all of us obviously know that SEGA of Japan always pulls off some shenanigans to get certain game events and details to become canon by completely sacrificing cool ideas and already existing lore (best ex: Hyper Sonic). I'm kinda of scared, but at the same, with Ian Flynn working on the story, I'm still hopeful that it will work out just like Frontiers did.

7. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

It could always be a new equippable skill instead of an addition to the base moveset. Maybe there could even be a challenge or two built around it, if they add any. Though I'm a little curious what hangup anyone could have with the Drop Dash so long as it isn't interfering with other abilities. (At least in most cases. I can see an argument for excluding it from, say, Origins's "Classic Mode" for authenticity's sake.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Also, here's the track from Shadow's portion of the trailer if anyone was curious.

Honestly, I think you're right on the money.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    Mario Wonder badges for Modern Sonic could actually be pretty cool and would give me actual incentive to go through these old boost stages again.

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Generations is great. Disagree with the naysayers who claim it is overrated. I think it is one of the highest quality games in the series. I'm not too bothered it isn't changed much. Would be great to have Superstars physics for Classic Sonic but I understand how hard that would. The game is fantastic and does not need much additions.

Personally, I think Shadow Generations could be a great addition. But if it controls like Frontiers Cyberspace then it will be awful and downright unplayable imo.

I know a lot of people have changed their minds on Gens and some have never been keen. But a lot of people like myself love the game. Will pick it up for sure.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Street Fighter x Tekken, which just tends to be pronounced by people as "cross tekken" these days :V

meanwhile, holy shit?? I'll have more thoughts after I read the rest of this topic LMAO

Edit:
    holy fucking shit

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    How did my username get on that quote about the drop dash? Iggy what did you do

...Anyway, I'm gonna say the drop dash SFX might be because Shadow is just using Frontiers' gameplay? Like if they didn't change anything it'll just still be in Shadow's moveset.

13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    but yeah, I reiterate my point I made on page 2 which is that, I don't really care if the game doesn't look all that different or not, I just want a version of it that boots out of the gate just like Frontiers and doesn't rely on an unbelievably janky launcher that breaks after two sessions. And as someone who liked Frontiers for all its jank, I'm not opposed to them basing Shadow's campaign on it. Especially given how often yall complain about Sonic Team just throwing out everything they did the prior game instead of building on it :V well, here it is, they're clearly building off of Frontiers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Taking bets on if this will have Denuvo on PC. Anyone want in?

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Personally I'm hoping that the updated PC version is a lot more optimize so that I can run it seamlessly on Steam Deck without having to fiddle with the stupid launcher or dealing with mods. I just want the game to run man. Any battery saving options is always a plus.

16. MastaSys

MastaSys

Of course they will, they always want to burn any good will on Steam.

Might as well throw the Epic Launcher at it just because.

Also expect stupid pricing and delisting the original.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The inevitable delisting of the original version is going to be the saddest thing if it happens, Generations has been a solid base for 3D modding. Honestly given the choice between that and a sidestory with Shadow, I'd take the modding capabilities. I wonder how many creators will take the time to work out how to bring their stuff across to the new release?

18. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

My bad, I'd started to reply to one of your posts but didn't, and I guess I accidentally left that quote header instead of the right one. Should be fixed now. (The would-be post was basically "barebones Sonic trailers would be fine if the games were reliably good".)
    Hey now, that's not fair. We also complain about them making things worse for no reason. :V
    Sonic Generations might just be the most consistently good 3D Sonic from a gameplay perspective, but I wish it felt a bit less lean. Which feels odd to say when I think about it, since the number of Acts and challenges isn't bad at all, but the story presentation just doesn't do much and the 2D hub is in a literal white void. I wish we'd get something with Unleashed's scale and Generations's quality. (Frontiers was interesting and felt like a well-intentioned effort, and absolutely had highlights, but I'm not sure how much I care for the open-zone formula long-term without some serious refinement.)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    I checked in with a friend since someone else mentioned "Project Miller" earlier in the thread and assumed it meant to be a reference to Josh Miller, a writer on the Sonic Movies. However, my friend thinks they meant to say "Mirror" instead. Rs and Ls don't exist in the Japanese language, but they may use らりるれろ "ra-ri-ru-re-ro" pronunciation for both Rs and Ls.

It's also common for the Rs and Ls to be confused and used in the wrong way when they're translating a Japanese word into English. For example, we know the Chaotix prototype that is Sonic Crackers but Crackers is supposed to be spelled as Clackers, replacing the R with the L, since the bound ring mechanics are based on those clacker toys.

I think Project Mirror makes more sense since Shadow is a mirror of Sonic. I don't think they would name it after an American writer like someone suggested earlier.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  20. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    Yea but in this case it seems a bad jarring being bundled with Gens. It's be like if Bowser's Fury was based off Mario Odyssey instead of 3d World. It wouldn't really feel like it fits in the package.