don't click here

New Sonic 2 development lore drop - Genocide/Cyber City palette and art!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Mar 19, 2023.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Yes, but there's no set date for either. At this point, it's just wait and see.

2. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    AFAIK they never actually said there'd be a second interview.

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Actually, I'd like to talk about things that we have right now.
    For example- I wonder why nobody talking about leaked palettes from Tom Payne documents..
    image-3.png

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I tried. I even posted them all and gave examples. The earliest ones seem to have been intended for a completely different background.

6. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    It looks like rust, implying Metropolis Zone is old an unkempt?

7. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    Interesting stuff. The maps and documents imply that Metropolis was originally meant to take place within the pyramid, where the time machine/warp point was located. Using older steam technology with a rusted/unkempt look would fit in with that idea. It's a shame that potential earlier background didn't survive the sands of time, would've been very interesting to see.

8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    also, you see this name in other JP works. in Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, if you're in Snowpoint City on Masuda's (IIRC) birthday, the weather effect will be "diamond dust". Diamond Dust is one of the signature moves of the Final Fantasy summon Shiva.

9. Jaxer

Jaxer

Pardon me, but isn't this the earlier background?

[​IMG]

It even matches the concept art.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    1991 JP Sonic 1 advert and 1993's JP SegaSonic Arcade. Can we please stop with the "but the Japanese developers would never use cacti!" assumption? These two images don't prove anything since Yasuhara wasn't involved (at least directly) with either of them, but it sure does open the possibility that he would've wanted this aesthetic all along.

11. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    I can't say that it's rust. In Tom Payne sketch it marked as "gold", but for me it looks more like copper. I have a hooks for clothes that has similar color :P

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Agreed that it isn’t rust, it seems to be quite clearly copper pipework.

You can see a more rust-like effect and tone in Quartz Quadrant or Metallic Madness’s bad futures for comparison.

13. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I was trying to say that the green colouring on some of the pipes looks like rust in a similar vain to the Statue of Liberty's

14. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    You're referring to oxidation. It's possible the joints are green due to oxidation. Joints especially are very much prone to it.

But it could also just fancy color usage.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I mean I suppose "rust" is a term more appropriate for iron specifically but, like, the default theme of this forum used to be called "rusted copper". Of course the green patina in question isn't actually an oxide -- the green color is a sulfate -- so "patination" is probably the more accurate general term here.

16. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    This is not an area of expertise for me, so I don't know what about that makes you say it's sulfate and not oxidation. I'm actually leaning toward the green being decorative, but not sure either way. But I'd like to understand your thought process on your claim. Because copper definitely oxidizes (or whatever term anyone wants to use; I'm not picky about it to be honest). So why is it not oxidation?

In my experience, one of the ways oxidation occurs is when pipes aren't properly cleaned of the flux upon install. That's what the color reminds me of.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well it's that it's a multi-stage process. Oxidation is the starting point, but the actual turning green requires the presence of atmospheric sulfur. Without that the copper will likely just become brownish/reddish.

18. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Okay, so I think we're talking about the same things, but not all of us are using the technically accurate terms. I call it oxidation (as do lots of people), but I understand what you're saying. The green specifically isn't oxidation alone, otherwise the whole pipe would turn that color.

Though I don't know if the flux example I used has a connection to sulphuric acid or not. Again, not my expertise. And everything I can find on it says flux is "acidic", without getting any more specific.

Anyway, I'll go with the "patination" you noted.

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Check out the pipes on my pc’s water cooling system after adding an acidic solution. And I know that with just regular air exposure coper pipes tend to just darken over time as well. Not that it really matters here anyways.
    IMG_0145.jpeg

20. Definitely darker around the joints, rather than, well, teal… makes me wonder a little more about that old MTZ palette. Perhaps the teal was meant for something else?