don't click here

Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    If it's all exactly what we've already experienced, why buy this new game? Why make a new game if we're supposed to just be complacent with it offering absolutely nothing interesting in terms of gameplay changes?

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Well its a remaster so thats kind of the point?

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

It's a remaster. People expect remasters to be the same game and gameplay with enhancements and bonus content if they're lucky (which we're getting).

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    • User warned for aggression.
    GOLLY FUCKING GOSH THEN, WOULDN'T IT MAKE SENSE TO SHOWCASE WHAT PARTS OF THE NEW SHIT WILL ACTUALLY BE FUN TO PLAY?

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I already know that Generations is fun to play. More levels in that formula and engine are good news, especially for a remaster.

6. charcoal

charcoal

Inside voices, please

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    They aren't though. This is clearly HE2, and there's not much indication as to whether that's more like Forces or Cyberspace, both of which are inferior to Generations and neither of these aspects are good on their own when we have no idea if the stage design itself will be any good.

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Isn't the Hedgehog Engine just the graphics engine? I'd think the game engine is still the same as the original's. It's a remaster not a remake.

9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Sonic Generations is HE1.

Shadow's game is HE2, hence the huge visual difference. The physics are clearly running off the framework they've been using since Forces.

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Fair enough. I didn't realize Shadow's campaign used a different engine from the main game.

11. charcoal

charcoal

Shadow Generations does seem to be built off of Sonic Frontiers' controls even beyond just the lighting for a few reasons I've noticed in my obsessive rewatches of the trailer:
    • Ring collection FX are the same as that of Sonic Frontiers, although the shader seems to be based off of Forces'.
    • It's very subtle, but the jump arc seems to be the same as Frontiers.
    • This game uses Frontiers' linear camera transitions rather than Generations' smoothened ones, which basically means Frontiers' camera goes from A to B at a set speed, while Gens' goes from A to B at an interpolated speed that eases in and out. Shadow Gens seems to be using the former solution, suggesting it's built off of Frontiers.
    • Shadow's homing attack exit animation is identical to Sonic's in Frontiers, although he doesn't seem to have hitstop delay like Sonic does.
    • The chromatic aberration filter used at certain setpieces seems to be either directly ripped from or heavily based on the one used in Frontiers' Cyberspace stages.
    Of course, none of these anecdotal things that just indicate Frontiers was used as a base actually tell us how the game will control or play. If I were to guess, it's just going to be trying to replicate Gens with a few added moves for Shadow rather than being Frontiers controls wholesale. Plus the actual remaster is very clearly still the same engine.

it must say something about me that i even noticed any of these things i am way too obsessed about this franchise

• Informative Informative x 12
    • List
  12. Snowbound

Snowbound

I wonder if Shadow Generations will feature the new human character they showed off in that TailsTube. Given the adventure-era/Shadow05 callbacks a prominent human character isn’t out of the question.

13. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    New content?
    And with Shadow nonetheless?

Good! Very good!
    That's what I want to see in remasters - new content, giving the fans who bought the game way back - a little bit extra.
    Also, giving Shadow some spotlight again is a great idea, I hope it's not just from his game, but I would be satisfied with 3 extra levels, some mini missions and a boss or two.

Sega, You are doing a great job. Finally.

14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    The fact that this is the first game in *almost 20 years* where it's possible for Shadow to get serious character development without a timeline reset and general neglect of the character except as a marketing tool leaving him in stasis from where he was at in Shadow the Hedgehog. I get they tried this in Forces too but even with the glimpses of Shadow Generations we see here it already looks a million times more capable of actually pulling it off.

I get the usual criticism of "no extended gameplay don't care" but in this case I would honestly say that doesn't matter because it's so long awaited.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    [​IMG]

Nobody's asking for more gameplay of Generations though, we want to see more of the Shadow stuff because right now it's the usual M.O. of showing us just enough gameplay for us to know it exists, but not get any real gauge on what that gameplay will be like, and what we have deduced isn't particularly inspiring. If this was just about knowing what the boost formula is like and that's all that mattered, then Sonic Forces would be lauded as one of the best 3D Sonic games of all time. There's nuance here that remains to be seen.

16. charcoal

charcoal

Saw this tweet and thought it was funny how accurate it is. Things change, huh?
    upload_2024-2-1_0-15-2.png

17. The animation he does right after the end of the homing attack chain at the starts looks very similar if not identical to the one in Frontiers and when he jumps there’s a few frames of him curled up before the jumpball appears also just like in Frontiers, the brief moment we see of him using chaos spear is oddly reminiscent of Tails throwing wrenches while locked onto a target and moving around. Screenspace reflections also return from Frontiers and are very obvious in the sequence with Biolizard.
    Need to get cleaner screenshots but this is what I’m talking about:
    IMG_2595.jpeg IMG_2596.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  18. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    How dare they port Generations to modern consoles! I'm infuriated! /s

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. Trippled

Trippled

For the Shadow stuff, if it's Frontiers gameplay and they keep iterating on it just like the DLC last year, I am pretty happy with that. Best course of action is Sonic Team keep releasing Frontiers type experiences in smaller scale and improving on it instead of making us wait another 5 years.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I'll believe that when they actually give Shadow good gunplay.

Until then, they'll never truly embrace what that absurd game really was.

Also, thanks to every twisted jerk in this thread, I decided to google "Sonic x Shadow" myself.

I can now confirm you only see the more... interesting... materials if you look in image search, and you have to go down a good ways to start seeing them now, and that will likely only accelerate as the game gets more press. It seems the game's announcement has already overriden the top results for the old content. This (probably) applies doubly if kids are searching with a safe mode browser on.

The kids are safe...-ish. The smut artists will mourn the death of their SEO.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024