don't click here

Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Way cooler than I could've imagined, but I'm also honestly shocked by how much stuff from ShtH they fit in here. Hopefully I can warm up to this direction for Shadow.

Not liking how he stops skating when activating the boost.

No way will I pay full price, though... Undecided

2. You just reminded me that Tails and Knuckles had different actors too back then lol.

It's kind of funny because they brought back Kate Higgins for Tails for Colors Ultimate despite the fact that Colleen Villard was his default voice almost a decade by then and she's stayed on since.

I wonder if they'll bring back Higgins again for this as well as Travis Willingham or just redub it with their current actors

Silver, Blaze, and Espio had different actors too; they barely had any lines, but still.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    And for DLC we could have Sonic x Shadow Episode Silver.

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I'm not sure we should be encouraging polyamory in a game kids will be playing.

5. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

I watched this trailer and I felt...

Absolutely nothing.

It's just, oh God we're doing 3D boost again.

Oh God we're doing Green Hill again.

Oh God its Generations again.

Oh God it's SA2 stages again!

But now with added Shadow and... almost no Gameplay of him shown!

Lol like... What are you honestly excited about when you look at this footage? I'm gonna sound like the old man yells at cloud meme, but I can remember when I first saw an advert for Sonic 3, and I was excited because, yeah it was Sonic, but that excitement was because I'd just had 2 games worth of incredible level design, really fun gameplay, and what I couldn't at the time articulate, all these different mechanics (Physics, friction, gravity etc) all working so well with the level design and every part of it to give me an amazing time.

Now... I just feel that... all the trailer is doing is saying "Here is Shadow now! You like Shadow! It's Shadow! Be excited"

Me: But... Why...? What's he doing?

Trailer: Pre-order now and maybe you'll find out!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Managed to roughly recreate a promo shot using a freecam mod at the same location. Looks like it's game is mostly the same with added bloom and some color differences.

Shadow Gens Trailer:
    upload_2024-1-31_21-24-26.jpeg

Original Game on PC:
    upload_2024-1-31_21-24-48.jpeg

7. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    I think the most interesting part of it is going to be the level design itself. Coming off of Frontiers, the Cyberspace levels (at least those that weren't just ripped from prior games) were... sloppy? Like fine in a vacuum but not what I would call satisfying level design. Depending on who is in charge of the new Shadow stages (I assume its Sonic Team) I think we could see the fruits of the feedback that Frontiers received, especially in the level design area. This could bode well for the next full AAA title.

I don't find the lack of more than 8 seconds of gameplay 8-ish months from launch to be that bad.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. The Ark, the Biolizard and even the Shadow the Hedgehog sections looked great with modern graphics. I'm glad they're finally resurrecting old levels other than Green Hill, Chemical Plant or Sky Sanctuary.

Half the video was gameplay footage of the Shadow campaign.

9. For me, I've been wanting Generations to come to Switch and modern consoles, so this is very welcome news. The "Episode Shadow" component is a clever way to add in new levels and value while telling his story again for new fans coming in from the show or the upcoming movie. It probably was more economical than figuring out how to approach an SA2 remake, and a smarter choice.

So — I'm looking forward to picking this up.

10. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Funnily enough this has utterly eclipsed the uh, usual search results for "Sonic X Shadow".

...Was this game made as an inside job to get rid of yaoi search results?

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Half the video was footage of the campaign. Actual gameplay got a rocking seven seconds. And what was there? Shadow homing attacking enemies, grinding, running in a straight line. There's no reason the game can't still be cool with all that stuff, but none of this is anything we haven't seen before, nor does it portray what the experience itself will be like. I don't blame Mechanic at all for being unconvinced.

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The footage was of action sections, just like most trailers. I don't know what else one could have expected from an action game's trailer.

13. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

You said campaign. I said Gameplay.

There is a huge difference between those two things. The only Gameplay that I saw which I can remember was Shadow homing attacking a few enemies. That was it.

14. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Classic SEGA trailer, a game announcement trailer with 20% gameplay and 80% not gameplay. Never change.

15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    "Action sections", namely two mostly-automated sequences, two shots of the same button-mashing homing attack we've seen for 26 years, and one glimpse at an attack in a boss battle. Are you just acting dim on purpose or do you really not see how seven seconds of that wouldn't get someone hyped? I'm not even pessimistic about the game and even I can see why it's not that exciting.

Here, compare:

This was the first gameplay trailer for Unleashed. Notice how it's nearly a minute and a half of uninterrupted gameplay, showcasing what variety the stage design has to offer? I don't even like Unleashed but the differences should be obvious. They've done this shit every new game for the last decade and I don't know why we have to keep going through this dumb rigamarole where someone pretends it's somehow other people's fault noticing that they're not showing off the video game parts of their video game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

As you said, that was a gameplay trailer. This was just an announcement trailer. Generations' original reveal trailer didn't even have any game footage; it was just an FMV of the two Sonics. In fact, that's the norm. Most announcement trailers had less gameplay than this IIRC.

17. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

And I go back to my original point with this.

"What are you cheering for? Why is anyone excited other than seeing a recognisable brand?"

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

We all know what the boost formula plays like. We don't need a gameplay trailer to figure it out, especially for a preexisting game most of us have played.

I can't speak for others, but I like that we're getting significant new content in a remaster, and levels+bosses that haven't been brought back before. More interesting that getting Green Hill or Chemical Plant yet again.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I mean I'm excited despite the lack of gameplay since I think more levels for Generations starring Shadow is a pretty self explanatory premise to get behind.

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

Well Biolizard was in the 3DS version, but this looks much better.