don't click here

Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. PhazonHopper

PhazonHopper

The fact that only one of those is confirmed need not be an issue, of course.

2. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Generations isn't incredibly in need of many visual improvements, luckily. I just hope that the Switch version runs at 60fps. Considering they couldn't even get Colors there though, I highly doubt it.

3. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Of course, I was just saying in general what makes a remaster attractive to me. The "that's" in "that's what has me sold on this game" was only referring to new content, I just forgot to specify that.

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Cautiously optimistic about this.

Assuming that's not just reused Generations footage (which I honestly, truly cannot tell if it is) then the base game looking identical isn't a huge problem. They don't need to reinvent the wheel, and proving they can actually release the game without radical alteration is probably better after how upset people got at Colors Ultimate.

Shadow busting into the Generations reveal CG is hilarious.

His own content, though...

I won't lie, I'm skeptical. It's obviously very hard to tell with the radical seven seconds of game-time (and that's being generous) they've given to us, but that's obviously not base Gens controls, nor is the homing attack bit Final Chase at all (it looks like Egg Gate, honestly). Now, does that mean it has the same shitty turning as Forces or Cyberspace? I'm not sure, literally the only part that shows Shadow running off-rails is the boss fight, and even that's just in a straight line. The openness of the arena and Shadow using Chaos Spear is the most promising part, giving me an impression that it might be closer to open zone than anything else. But it's hard to tell right now.

Black Doom being back is absolutely wild. I never thought in a million years they would do that, and Doom's Eye looks gross and wrinkly in a good way.

Anyway, I don't want this to lose us the standard PC version of Generations and all of its modding shenanigans, but at the very least I'm glad it isn't looking like a direct downgrade.

5. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I would argue it kinda is. The resolution bump is only going to highlight how compressed the textures are unless they update the textures as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    I watched some of the cutscenes (the few there are, lol) from the original Generations and I do wonder if they're going to re-record the voices? Everyone sounds so different now and even written differently now.

After getting used to the sorta sassy and "mature" (in terms of personality) writing of Amy with the recent games, I got whiplash on hearing her being much more girly and lovey-dovey. The concept of time caught up with me in that moment because that used to be the default but now it's weirdly strange to come back to. Such a clear difference between how the games were written during that time to now.

7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
  8. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Oh hey new Sonic

Is it wrong to say that I am looking forward to see what they do with Shadow in this? Because I'm looking forward to see what they do with Shadow in this.

I'm not looking forward to a $60 dollar price point, unless there's more than three Shadow levels and some other things we haven't seen yet.

Well, "Sonic Team" was responsible for portions of Origins, right? The menu is in the Hedgehog Engine. They were responsible for...things. Even if Stealth's team were the ones who did the 3&K remaster.

Was curious and looked up Sonic Colors Ultimate on Steam, and:
    upload_2024-1-31_19-5-43.png
    Makes me think that if this was being done by some outside group and just supervised by Sonic Team, it wouldn't say Sonic Team on Steam. Of course, "Sonic Team" is a vague title, so we don't really know who at Sega is responsible for this yet. We will see.

Er. It starts by saying "The distortion of time and space created by the mysterious monster Time Eater begins to set in motion the respective stories of Sonic and Shadow." Wouldn't that imply that the Time Eater IS the reason Black Doom exists? Not that he just happens to be alive for no real reason.

Haha ha ha

ha

ha can we not

I will maintain that none of the 326 paths in Shadow actually work and that you just have to assume that some, or most, of the events of the game happened

To be fair, it makes way more sense for Shadow to fight the Biolizard than it did for Sonic in the 3DS version. Not to mention that the fight looks like it's a bit more than just the 3DS version. I mean, honestly? I'd be happy if they turned the 3DS-exclusive levels into something for this new edition, but I get the feeling that Sonic's level count is going to remain at nine. But I'd like to be proved wrong.

I want Mephiles to be in this game

9. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    I'm not really a 3D graphics guy, but this doesn't really look like a glitch to me? It seems like it could either be an intentional colour change to make the grass blades stand out against the main-ground-part-grass-thing since they're nearly invisible in the original version. Or perhaps more advanced lighting with the orange colour coming from light reflecting off the orange rocks? I'm kind of stretching but I want to be optimistic that this isn't already a broken mess from 1 trailer.

10. charcoal

charcoal

Personally I don't think a single grass texture being the wrong color indicates a game is a broken mess but that's just me.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Nobody said it did. They were just using it as an indication that it wasn't reused footage.

12. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

I think Sonic Team is doing this remaster, Sonic Generations and Shadow Generations are both obviously using the Hedgehog Engine. As far as I know, only Sega developers use that engine, that's why something like Sonic Superstars didn't use it.

I could be wrong though.

13. charcoal

charcoal

I was replying to the post right above me

14. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    To be honest, if *this* is the level of minor graphical differences instead of something like Colors Ultimate, I think it's a good sign. The rest of the game looks virtually identical. Reassuring to me.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I also looked at Sonic 4 and it's credited to SEGA instead of Dimps or ST.
    I guess we won't really know until we get there. Might be a smaller team within ST? Blind Squirrel redemption arc?

16. If Mephiles the Dark's in this game, I will go insane.

17. Felik

Felik

I want Emerl

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

Well we're getting the ark gameplay I predicted. Nice. The bosses look great.

19. Kyro

Kyro

The new final rush/final chase visuals look really good and while i imagine this will be a short campaign, im very excited to see what they make. Cautiously excited, but excited nonetheless

20. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk