don't click here

Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Sonic X Shadow Generations announced at the January 31st 2024 PlayStation State of Play.

https://wwww.sonicxshadowgenerations.com

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2513280/SONIC_X_SHADOW_GENERATIONS/
    Original Post below:
    Nick Baker recently made a tweet heavily implying the presence of multiple games at a PS State of Play slated for the 31st, including Sonic Generations. I know making threads about leaks like this is generally frowned upon, but Sonic Stadium did a nice article about it where they note that the leaker in question was 100% accurate when he did the same for september's state of play, so there is a heavy chance that this is real.

Of course take this all with a grain of salt, but considering the leaker's track record we could very well be seeing this in just a few short days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    If this is real, I'll cum be very excited. The Xbox Series X/S version has a few really weird (and bad) emulation bugs and the PC version is a pain in the ass to set up nowadays so I'd definitely buy this.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

A Generations remaster following the Colors remaster makes perfect sense. In fact, I felt it was only a matter of time.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Seems redundant to me since the game still looks very good even now, but sure? Why not?

It needs better accessibility on modern consoles, so that's not a bad thing.

Too bad Unleashed is still forgotten.

5. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I guess I'm indifferent to this. People got really mad about Colors Ultimate and I'm not looking for a repeat of that, especially for a game that already has a native port on the only platform that ever ages well.

6. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    64-bit DX11 PC version? Mayhaps? The 2011 game is a bit fickle on modern hardware honestly.

still should've been unleashed on principle

7. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Generations on Switch could be pretty cool, I just hope SEGA learned a few things from the negative feedback that Colours Ultimate received.

and for the love of god please don't let this be one of those remasters that just adds a ton of bloom lighting for no reason >:|

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I don't really feel like Generations needs a remaster as such, though a Switch port of the game as-is wouldn't go amiss as I'd love to be able to play it on the go. It'd be great to have a native port for modern consoles, but based on past experience with ports of older 3D Sonic games I'd be worried they'd mess up the visuals or the gameplay if they try to do a full-on remaster. So my ideal would probably be just a straight port, with proper care and attention paid to making sure nothing gets downgraded or broken compared to the original. Maybe give it higher resolution textures and shadows on modern platforms, aside from Switch which should be kept in line with the OG Xbox 360/PS3 release in order to help keep performance steady.

9. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Weird to see you posting that after someone posted that the existing PC version is a pain to set up.

10. I can confirm myself it's a pain to setup. And very confusing.

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    The launcher is a little archaic, but a free PC update could fix most of the nagging issues, as we've seen a sort of 64-bit implementation, DX11 support, and a better launcher via mods. This would only be truly beneficial for bringing it natively to new platforms, kinda like how Sony makes new SKUs and then makes a PC release out of them. Still, doing this before Unleashed, or even Heroes with its poor PC abandonware, is kinda silly from a fan perspective. In terms of comparing sales and review scores, it's sensible from a business perspective. This is still just a guy on Twitter at the end of the day, so we'll see.

In fact, with Sega finally letting Japanese Steam users have SA1 and SA2, this could be part of that effort to get their existing back catalog to other markets.

12. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    I really really don't remember Generations being such a pain to set up on PC. I swear that game was plug-and-play.

13. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    There's an annoying bug with the config files that if you change any hardware, even the monitor, the game won't boot unless you reset everything. The mod loader fixes this.

14. ItsBrieDude

ItsBrieDude

my brain is the spinning seal gif Member
    iirc there are also some issues with modern Nvidia cards?

The PC is the ultimate preservation platform until you hit critical mass of death by a thousand cuts. New hardware, new software, everything breaks subtly over the course of over a decade.

And yeah, I’m being hyperbolic, especially for Gens as it is right now (not that bad, all things considered!). But I can’t complain about one big maintenance patch from SEGA to reset the clock.

15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    My point was not that PCs or the PC version are perfect, just that the moving target of console ports is a lot faster. It's a pain to setup SA1 and 2 to get a good experience out of them on PC, but it's a lot less of a pain than if you're trying to play them on the Switch.

16. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    If this is true then it's good to see SEGA continuing to remaster games. For the love of god lets hope they improve the quality of this remaster because what they did with Origins & Colors was complete ass. Inb4 they remove the finite live systems in Gens and give us medals/coins instead.... and bring back the "Tails save" feature from Colors Ultimate :V

I'm indifferent to Gens. Don't hate, but don't particularly like it either (would prefer a remaster of Heroes, heh), but it's nice to have more Sonic games being ported to modern consoles.

17. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    If it gets the Colours treatment, I don't want it.

If it's a better remaster, I'm indifferent.

If it gets a few additional levels, then I'd consider buying it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    After the way they handled the Colors Ultimate remaster, I have no interest in this as of current.

19. Jaxer

Jaxer

I just find it odd that they specifically chose to remaster the game so directly tied to the franchise's 20th anniversary.

It was marketed as a "celebration of Sonic's past and present" back in 2011, meaning that the newest games represented in it are all almost 15 years old.

Unless they add new levels for LW, Mania, Forces, Frontiers and Superstars, which I find highly unlikely.

20. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Generations already had to be compromised graphically by removing the shaders from Unleashed and even then it tanks in performance in some levels, namely Chemical Plant. I expect a modernized PC port along with a more stable framerate (uncapped? cutscenes are still locked) and maybe better lighting.

However, I also expect Denuvo along with other changes that make old mods incompatible and modding maybe not being possible at all. I also expect new bugs. Bugs up the ass.