don't click here

New Sonic 1 Alpha Screens Discovered

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by cornholio857, May 3, 2015.

1. Linkabel

Linkabel

Going to another topic, but has there been a statement or something if these structures are supposed to be city buildings?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They even seem to be featured in the post-Twin Stars artwork.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Did the same for this lil part it missed
    [​IMG]

3. Jaxer

Jaxer

Oh wow, I've never noticed this! I've always assumed that they were meant to be mountains because of this piece of concept art.

Sega_Players_Enjoy_Club_Sonic_Concept_art.jpg

Then again, aside from the foreground palm tree and Sonic's pose, it looks a lot more like the final Green Hill.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    ...That's concept art? Where the hell is that from?

5. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I found that picture. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but it was interesting.

6. It's not concept art. It's art made by the S.P.E.C magazine. If you look at the artstyle and the signatures, it's clear that they're not Oshima's drawings.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Jaxer

Jaxer

Then the wiki needs to be corrected. The page for Sonic 1's development correctly attributes it to SPEC, but incorrectly claims it to be concept art.

8. I say the wiki page needs to be completely rewritten. A lot of it is inaccurate and out of order.

9. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Wow, for the past decade, I've been under the impression it was some kind of concept art (albeit different artist, obviously).

10. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Great to see that sign clearly. I remember the Nevergreen speculations.

So, are we sure that it's actually game related? Maybe it's there to promote the Toy Show or something related instead? Maybe it's a sign for the player?

There's also a new, interesting mystery arising, how much Twin Star concepts were still considered at the time of this demo production? We have Sonic and the nightmarish enemy. Was it a leftover? Was Sonic sprite implemented over existing TwinStar ones? What's the "real" history of Eggman the Bublebeeman?

I want answers damn it!

11. I have feeling only Green Hill exists on this build.

With lucky, maybe Marble Zone is hidden on it somehow.

12. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    While I agree with that ^ obtaining a ROM might prove to show hidden stuff within once it's dissassembled and auto-play (which I also agree with being in this ROM) is disabled. Kinda like the S2 auto-demo we had, so keep your chin up ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    The question is, is this magazine reporting on a demo shown at a fair, or were they given a copy of said demo to preview in the mag itself? If it's the latter, maybe recovery of this is possible after all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I know nothing, but I would seriously doubt multiple cartridges were created for such a brief (apparently) demo that isn't ready to really be "reviewed" yet.

But even if a magazine had a copy, they all speak Japanese, and nearly all of us have no connections there. So I am not so hopeful under those circumstances.

I personally believe the best chance is Sega having the ROM internally... *somewhere*. Just because they looked for it and found nothing doesn't mean Sega doesn't still have it. But then again, how would we get that ROM?

So either way, short of Sega in some official capacity releasing it, I think it's unlikely we'll ever recover it anytime soon, if at all.

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    SEGA almost certainly has some beta assets we don't have access to, as the origins music fiasco more or less proved, but I'd also be surprised if they have much more than what we do, and even 'more' surprised if they have this.

Given that this game was developed entirely in Japan, and this specific demo was never shown OUTSIDE Japan, the chances of obtaining it are very low. Especially since even Naka tried to find it, but failed.

Impossible? No. But as with many things, it could either be in the hands of specific employees who won't give it up right now (maybe Naoto has it and Naka was not in contact with him at that time, though this is very, very unlikely), or it's simply in storage somewhere within a SEGA building, and the chances of us uncovering that are next to zilch as long as Sega is in business at that same location.

Nearly all of our leaks have come from press shows or carts that circulated in publications, especially western ones. Uncovering the Sonic 1 beta was a damned miracle far beyond any other. Finding this would be far harder.

Turns out we were more likely to discover actual Sand Shower tiles than this one. At least so far.

Personally, I think the best route to finding more of this demo aside from magazine scans is to some day uncover video footage of the demo at TGS1990, but that too would be very, very difficult.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    I'm in favor of existing TGS1990 footage only having a small visible area (think the Sonic news dev video Naka shared).

17. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Do people from Japan make communities focused on preserving things, like the westerners do?

18. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Technically, they do... but because the copyright law is a nightmare over there, most people who collect or preserve media in Japan don't actually publish them online, they just share them in-person. Only non-Japanese users can freely share them online.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    There are a select few people who dump games over there, I've worked with one before myself when I got Cooly Skunk for SFC dumped. They keep themselves scarce when it comes to the actual release of ROMs though, which is smart because as said above, copyright is taken more seriously in Japan.

There's no real communities that exist like in the western world, but there does seem to be a niche of prototype collectors who are aware of one another. As Chimes said, I've seen they do sometimes exchange things, there's even a Youtuber who got someone to give them an unreleased Saturn game (Monica's Castle) on the grounds they only play it and return it afterward.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  20. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Thank you for providing that information. So there's hope we'll see some videos, new scans, or maybe even the prototype itself some day.