don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    23:13 - Since sega is keen on making games canon or not will we ever get a book of the sonic timeline like with Zelda or is that wishful thinking? Knowing smiles will be acceptable also as a answer

- Oh I wish I could know and smile that one. (...) I don't foresee it happening anytime soon, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

2. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    First they should get a series bible finished that will be viable to reference for the next 5 years, before we get another Encyclospeedia that has outdated information.

3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    If I had a nickel for every time Ian Flynn wrote a definitive Sonic encyclopaedia only for it to be almost immediately made outdated, etc.

4. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Today's BumbleKast had another question about Modern Sonic, Tails and Eggman not remembering Mania and Generations as their Classic selves.

We still don't have an official answer for that.

5. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2023
  6. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member

I quite agree with those comments. The End has the potential to be a compelling, frightening, overarching villain for the franchise and apparently it's been written off as single note. If it really is the case it undermines the whole story of Frontiers. Regardless of the ending, that's saying that Sonic and Sage are more powerful than the entire civilization that (apparently) first used the Chaos Emeralds. It's a cosmic force defeated so readily by one Hedgehog. While Sonic is an impressive hero, by writing off The End in this fashion, it both makes Sonic way overpowered and The Ancients look incredibly pathetic, which makes little logical sense.

On the other hand, I can see the potential damage long-term use of The End can be if what we all originally assumed is true. Big threats like this have to be used sparingly or they aren't threatening anymore (see Star Trek's Borg). Plus, Eggman's supposed to be the main villain of the franchise, he can't be a villain if he's constantly teaming up with Sonic to fight The End every game. That said, if this entity is used sparingly then you can have your cake and eat it too as far as I'm concerned.

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

Well-written characters having to be deemed one-offs or put on the back-burner...

The issues of a long-running episodic series...

8. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    The Ancients were the ones who gave Sonic the power to defeat The End. In the original ending, they had to use their technology because Super Sonic couldn't beat it. In the new ending, Sonic got training from all of the Titans' pilots and then used the full power of his cyber energy the Ancients caught him to use in combination with the Chaos Emeralds. The Emeralds that the Ancients originally brought to Sonic's World. And even then he also needed help with Eggman, Sage, and his friends.

I never got the feeling The End would ever come back. It has the same vibes as any of the other Super Sonic final bosses. Even Gemerl hasn't been in a new game since Sonic Advance 3. The End isn't as interesting to me as Mephiles or Infinite either. I would like to know more of The End's backstory but I wouldn't want The End to be a reoccurring character

9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I don't have any attachment to The End as a concept and I knew Kishimoto was bulshitting about it being an eternal spectre of death that can never truly be destroyed, but I think it's silly for Ian to just be like "yeah it was just some moon and now it's never coming back". Like, just destroy the intrigue for no real reason? Very weird decision. You could have left it with nothing and it's not like the future would change.

10. RDNexus

RDNexus

What's wrong with such a concept? I think it was a great idea, truth be told.
    And I'm sad the new ending toned it down to the point of being almost irrelevant.
    My only issue with it was the concept being left too open for interpretation.
    It can return someday? OK, but when? How? All those details were left unstated.
    Don't dismiss a potentially good concept, try to find some logic on its missing details.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Why are you talking like that

12. RDNexus

RDNexus

I'm sorry if it sounded rude, not my intention (seriously).
    I was just stating an opinion possibly contrary to yours.
    And yeah, Ian flipping like that over that moon on SuperStars also seemed a bit too much.

13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I just didn't get your point. I'm not dismissing any concept. I'm saying I don't believe Kishimoto was stating an internal, true fact about the nature of The End, along with the whole "it looks different for each person" thing that directly contradicts his own script where everyone says it's just a moon.

14. RDNexus

RDNexus

Yeah, it's sad that he couldn't make the best use out of The End's concept he envisioned for the story.

15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I'm saying I'm not convinced he did envision it. I'm pretty sure it's just some shit he made up on a whim after the fact.

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Yeah I highly doubt The End was ever meant to be something other than a one-off bad guy.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Oh here we go now!

18:57 - Ian, you recently said that Sonic Rush comes before Sonic ‘06 and that the Blaze of both games are one and the same. Now I’m even more confused than I was before. Blaze was from another dimension in Rush but then she’s from a post-apocalyptic future with Silver in ‘06? That’s bad enough but then she’s also completely fine with killing Sonic to save the future even though they were friends by the end of Rush? As the CEO of Sonic, you’ve got some explaining to do! Unless you don’t have an explanation for it, that’s okay too.

- (...) Blaze is not from Silver's post-apocalyptic future. She is from her own dimension, and it's extremely nuancey but she doesn't really see or interact ith Sonic until the very very end of Silver's campaign. It's an incredibly narro loophole, but she doesn't necessarily know that it's Sonic they're after? (...) I believe the intention is that she doesn't know that Silver is targeting Sonic specifically, and she has no interaction with him or really anybody else in the main cast, for that reason.

- I'm being told that Mephiles showed them it was Sonic very early in the story.

- Yeah, but is that a vision that they both saw, or was it just Silver who saw it?

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Sure, it could've been any blue hedgehog.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Like that Nicky fucker...

20. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    The war crimes of Uncle Chuck.