don't click here

Daytona USA 2 (Sega Racing Classic 2) and Fighting Vipers 2 are coming to Like A Dragon Gaiden

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by aria, Sep 8, 2023.

1. aria

aria

growl from the digital haze Member
    i saw soned2 supports chaotix five minutes ago
    Thought I’d make a thread about this as I posted it in the discord when it was a rumor and it’s been confirmed in the latest Famitsu issue!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

we’re getting Daytona USA 2 but without the branding and Fighting Vipers 2 as arcade games! Exciting times and I hope we see Scud Race in the future, or like modern remastered ports of Daytona 1&2.

Very surprising to see the return of the Sega Racing Classic branding but if it allows these games to continue to exist in the hell that is modern Daytona licensing, it’s welcome.

sources:
    https://www.gematsu.com/2023/09/lik...ique-arcade-and-master-system-games-and-darts

japanese:
    https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000005314.000005397.html

2. wonder-inc

wonder-inc

It's great but...it also sucks that the only way to play Daytona USA 2 officially is to buy another game to play it. :)

Oh well, good for fans for both. Personally though I will probably just emulate it.

3. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Damn, I don’t like Yakuza, but I love Fighting Vipers.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Reminder that Fighting Vipers 2 never released in North America.

5. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Yeah, this is really irritating. I have zero interest in Yakuza and don't want 20+ gigs of my PS4's hard drive filled by a game I'll never play. Plus, how much of LaD Gaiden needs to be played through to get to Daytona 2, and how cumbersome will returning to it be? Not to mention that this will almost certainly lack features like online vs. and replay sharing.

It's obnoxious that this masterpiece game's home debut is just a sideshow in something else. People have said that Sega wouldn't see a profit from a standalone release, and on one hand I can believe that (I believe the X360/PS3 Daytona port didn't sell well). On the other hand, I look at Hamster's Arcade Archives series and think that if they can steadily release games that include some serious deep cuts (This week's was Zing Zing Zip from Allumer, I think I might be one of the 10 western players that was previously aware of that game), then how could Sega not get a standalone release of a comparatively much more popular game to work?

6. Xilla

Xilla

There had better be an option in Daytona 2 to select the Mitsuyoshi vocals!

7. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Interestingly, that involves the only thing in this port that might have to be changed, Mitsuyoshi actually saying "Daytona" in Batttle on the Edge. Sega Racing Classic had instrumentals for Let's go Away and the Advertise track. Kinda dumb that even in the context of a lyric, it's a licensing problem.

8. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Every single time I hear people saying this, I wonder if they actually bothered buying the Sega Ages ports whenever they rolled around. Sega have stopped, started, and avoided doing certain games on the initiative multiple times by now, despite there being much more potential, and it's not rocket science as to why that has happened.

My viewpoint on it all by this time, as the viability window for rereleasing 25+ year old works grows ever smaller - at least they're not being stranded on expensive toy arcade cabinets targeted squarely at the well-off middle age nostalgia market on this occasion, and are officially releasing as part of much more affordable console titles for all.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023
  9. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

I own all the Switch Ages ports except Herzog Zwei (only game in the series I didn't care for), and all of the 3DS classics ports that were released in the US, including the physical Sega Classics Collection.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There's nothing necessarily stopping stand-alone releases of these games as well, however Like a Dragon Gaiden has already been announced, and it needed new arcade games. Lost Judgment's were recycled from prior entries - there's only so many times you can do that before people start to notice.

And hey, Model 3 emulation - that's new.

Also Yakuza games tend to be wonderful, so once you've exahusted the ten minutes of playtime Daytona 2 has to offer, you can kick people in the head. And then play the rest of the video game.

11. Xilla

Xilla

Actually.........do we know if it's Battle on the Edge or Power Edition?

12. aria

aria

growl from the digital haze Member
    i saw soned2 supports chaotix five minutes ago
    I don’t believe they’ve said, I’m hoping it’s the Power Edition because iirc Battle on the Edge controls way worse? (It’s been a few years since I’ve played it so I can’t entirely remember if that’s truly the case).

13. Xilla

Xilla

IIRC Battle on the Edge really doesn't like the old "Shift from 4th gear down to 2nd/1st then back again" drifting technique that advanced Daytona USA players are used to and tends to spin you out if you try it. Power Edition also had an extra car (the Hornet) and the 3-Course Challenge mode so I imagine they'll base it on that, surely.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Which is what I always hope and assume most like you have in spaces like here... but I do tend to see that complaint made far too many times elsewhere, from people who might not necessarily realise that these things are often taken into account

Logic says they'll have another go at Ages for the fourth or fifth time a few years from now. But a few things have happened since the last port - the late Rieko Kodama led the project in the Switch era, and though Okunari's still around fighting the corner for legacy stuff it's hard not to see that as a big loss to it all from the outside.

That all said, judging from some of their job listings since late last year, Sega were specifically hiring people to work in this very area during recent months. So who knows to be honest...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2023
  15. Great news and it be so nice to at last play an Arcade perfect version of FV2 in the home officially. I didn't like Daytona USA 2 that much and thought it was a step backwards (much like FV2) but its nice to have it home, I would rather Spikeout myself, also I love to see SEGA Rally 2 but I get the licence rights will put pay to SEGA porting the likes of SEGA Rally 2

Hope one day SEGA puts In Dirt Devils in a Yakuza game, that game was awesome fun with the best slash water effect I had ever seen at the time.

16. Xilla

Xilla

So apparently, according to a YouTube comment I saw last night. There's a way to switch to the Mitsuyoshi vocals on the "Start Your Engines" screen.

The comment mentioned holding down Start on the screen, but the Start button is assigned to the Options button on a PS5 pad and holding it down for more than 2 seconds brings up the in-game menu, defaulting to St James' vocals.

Regarding changes in the game (other than the title change), the only thing I've really noticed is the pace car isn't a Dodge Viper anymore.

17. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Never a truer word said.

If it wasn't RGG Studio considering Daytona 2 as a good addition to the in-game arcade, you wouldn't be having a home version at all.

18. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

I think we saw the same comment, and I can confirm the same thing happens to me on PC.

19. Xilla

Xilla

Little article here on the arcade game selection.

Model 3 emulator build specifically for the RGG games, NAOMI a possibility in the future.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    This makes me miss XBLA/PSN games more and more. Cheap, nice ports with online play and leaderboards sold individually.