don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Linkabel

Linkabel

This might be another good lore question to ask, but I was under the impression that Sonic and his friends were familiar with the Station Square and Mystic Ruins area before the events of Adventure.

The English manual says
    Though the Japanese manual says (using DeepL)
    I guess you could say he came back home, but it could just mean he return to civilization after his ascetic training, or on a meta level.

But I still get the feeling the story implies Station Square became a place they frequented, Angel Island is nearby, Sonic leaves, and Amy and Tails find permanent homes waiting on Sonic to return.

2. Interesting possibility. There’s not a lot in the game itself to confirm or deny it, but it would resolve one instance of contrivance. Plenty more coincidences though!

3. Tornado-III uses Roman numerals, and is stored in Spagonia. Tornado-03 uses Arabic numerals and is stored in Shamar. Naturally.

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Wait, it was only called the Tornado-1 in the dub and nowhere else?

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Not in the Japanese version, at least. Can't say for other regions, since they may have used the US Localisation script.

But like I said, even the plane itself calls itself the Tornado 03, so...

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

What I mean is, was it never called that in any place outside of Unleashed's dub? No profile or official material calls it the Tornado-1? We all call it that based just on a weird mistranslation?

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Pretty much, yeah.

8. According to the fan wiki, the Japanese script and profile for Tails identify the aircraft as Tornado-gou. As far as the English script calling it Tornado-1, I’m not sure it’s necessarily a mistranslation as much as a decision to name it as such made without clear justification.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I checked with my translator buddy.

[​IMG]
    Nothing in the profile manual there.

I asked about 'Tornado-gou' and they said that -gou is effectively a vehicle designation, akin to SS on a ship's name.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

"Tornado-1" was always such a bizarre name. I've always wondered what was up with it, especially considering that it was labeled as Tornado 03.

So it turns out to be just another discrepancy caused by localizations.

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    So how does this work? We have:
    - Tornado (I), from Sonic 2 onwards
    - Tornado II, from Sonic Adventure
    - Tornado III, from Sonic Adventure 2 up to Shadow
    - maybe Tornado 02 from Sonic Rivals II
    - Tornado 03 from Unleashed

is that it?

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    If we know the Tornado III was used from SA2 through Shadow, what need is there for there to be a Tornado 02 between that and Unleashed? Surely it’d be more straightforward for the planes in Shadow and Unleashed to be the same, simply with different renderings of the model number?

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Indeed, this is why I always go for the Japanese (or otherwise country of the series' origin) version of things for continuity and/or lore: localisation can and will screw something up somewhere.

Yeah, though I assume you mean Sonic Rush Adventure instead of Sonic Rivals 2 there?

14. MastaSys

MastaSys

"Tornado-1" isn't a bad name for a replica of the OG Tornado (it was kinda shot down right?)

I've seen videogame entries with worse number schemes.
    Consoles too.

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Missed this one.

Sonic Rush Adventure has what appears to be the Tornado II from Sonic Adventure, suggesting Tails retrieved it from the Mystic Ruins and repaired it. Don't know why he was using it when the Cyclone is a thing, perhaps he was doing maintenance work on it and grabbed the next closest one when they had to rush (heh) things?

The problem is the plane itself is labelled "Tornado 03", so the Tornado-1 moniker introduced in the localisation is conflicting with the plane itself.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I don't think the Tornado III/Cyclone was ever shown to have a jet mode.

The plane in SRA was red and looked just like the first Tornado.

Yeah. It's like the localizers didn't realize it already had a name (as it was never mentioned in dialogue), so they tried to come up with one on their own.

17. It was! Tails uses the Cyclone’s flight mode to travel to and from Prison Island.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
  18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I meant Rivals 2. Is there a new Tornado in Rush Adventure?
    upload_2023-7-1_23-22-26.png

I don't think Unleashed's Tornado 03 is supposed to be the same Adventure 2's Tornado III.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    There's a Tornado in the opening that is very much designed like the Sonic Adventure one. Only, y'know, low polygon count, but I'd say it's the Tornado II myself, but there's no confirmation on that.

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

By jet mode I meant the X-wing-esque form. Only the Tornado II and 03 were shown to have it AFAIK.

The design of the Tornado III's wings shouldn't even allow for an X-wing mode.

For comparison, look at the Tornado II's wings:
    https://info.sonicretro.org/File:SA1T2Normal.PNG
    https://info.sonicretro.org/File:SA1T2Xwing.PNG

And then at the Tornado III's wings:
    https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/s...-46-767.png/revision/latest?cb=20150901181955

Interesting. If Rivals was alluding to a Tornado 02 like you suggest, then the Tornado 03's name makes more sense. That would make it part of a separate line of Tornados whose models are labeled as 0x, by contrast with the roman numeral line. Good thinking.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023