don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Tangle was mentioned by name in Frontiers so I consider that proof the IDW comics are canon to the games.

2. Snowbound

Snowbound

Being a sonic fan is needlessly confusing, I don’t know what to tell ya :p

3. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    a comic book having a different continuity from whatever else isn't a very difficult concept in general, but the way sonic handles it does indeed make it very confusing

4. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Yes the comics are canon.

5. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Well, it's good to know that a "version" of Sticks exist in the main universe.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I'd like to see her at some point tbh. I can understand why SEGA turned down the "Sticks was always living on Angel Island" pitch, despite how hilarious and glorious as that would've been, but iirc it's not the only attempt Ian's made at introducing her, and it just seems to me like SEGA's got cold feet about pulling the trigger on this.

7. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    There's multiple people behind the scenes trying to get her to appear. Have hope, I think eventually we will manage a pitch that'll be agreed with.

8. ELS

ELS

To be completely honest with all of you, I really hope Sticks and the IDW original cast don't come to the games which is why I asked and it seems it could go either way. I'd say it depends entirely on which way the wind blows on creative control.

This is hilarious to me because every reference in Frotniers felt like a memberberry moment. That being said, wanting a consistent brand does make sense but that doesn't mean the actual comic is canon.

9. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    So apparently some rando on Twitter got in touch with Kitching and has had it confirmed that 900th adventure won’t be a multiverse story and will be contained to the mainline setting. I realise this’ll be disappointing to some and I won’t deny that it’s bitter to think about what could’ve been, but spend this time tempering your expectations so we can all enjoy the one shot for whatever it does end up being when it releases. Unlike said rando. Hence why I’m not linking their entitled tweets.

Anyway, if anyone’s wondering how this may look, I recommend reading Spider-Man: Full-Circle. It’s a bit bonkers but I imagine the setup as far as writing goes will be similar.

10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    You can't find a straight answer because there's no straight answer. The staff will tell you yes, because obviously they want their work and their characters to "count", and Ian specifically put the Tangle reference in Frontiers to try to solidify it, but really, everything starts contradicting each other and eventually both Team Sonic Racing and Sonic Frontiers come out and there's nowhere good for them to go in the very close knit timeline of events presented by the comics.

But Sonic simply said a character's name so I guess that means all their baggage is canon. Horray! now instead of Eggman jumping the villainy shark with his plans once, he's jumped the shark 3 times, all somehow before he becomes more humanized!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Whatever you say dude

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    That would be a straight answer, then

13. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Oh.

So much for that, then. + - Hopium: Unless this is a "Andrew Garfield isn't in No Way Home". But I won't count on it.  

14. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Anyone with even a passing familiarity with the various rights issues etc. surrounding previous Sonic comic continuities should have known it wasn't going to be a multiverse tale - for starters, the whole tangle of issues with Archie vs. Penders literally killed their Sonic the Hedgehog series, and basically guarantees nobody's going to touch that continuity again. There seem to be some issues with Fleetway's Sonic the Comic too, or if not issues then at the very least a lack of clarity on the rights to various elements, which has seemingly put a block on any potential reprints to date. A shame, as I'd definitely buy collected volumes of a good chunk of those if they ever did manage to surface...!

15. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    Sega's mentality on the use of "dead" media should be enough to completely rule out any possibility of a story about multiverse

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Then only use the post-reboot when there were no issues in play
    If you want to be cheeky, use the Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM) world for the older designs.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat as well, but I've heard 2000AD and Rebellion have the comic rights, so we need them and SEGA of Europe to talk about a collection... Anyone fancy a polite mail in campaign to see if we can convince them there's a market?

17. I guess my interest in this one shot story, whatever it is, just went into the negatives. lol

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Speaking as somebody who does prefer the post-reboot setting for similar reasons as loving IDW (that being it hewing closer to the main setting), I think only doing an IDW/post reboot Archie crossover would be redundant. I don’t even *like* StC but if we’re to get a multiverse crossover, I really don’t think it’d be right doing it any other way than IDW/pre-boot Archie/Fleetway; they’re all very different takes on the Sonic setting and pre-boot Archie ultimately and expectedly made a much bigger marker on the series.

I think that’s a bit…petty, to be honest. Even if it’s all contained to the prime continuity, I still think getting folks like Kitching and Elson in to contribute is still a worthy celebration of Sonic comics.

19. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I mean, if someone isn't interested, they're not interested. I'm interested, but that's because I'm invested in most things Sonic, and because multiverse crossover stories aren't that big a deal to me. I still have yet to fully finish StC, and if there were any chance of seeing post-reboot Archie stuff again, I'd rather see it reincorporated into the prime continuity since we hardly got to spend any time with that universe as-is.

20. Was anyone else havng some problems with the site?

It's nice, but not as nice as the multiverse thing, which I was actually, genuinely, at least a little excited about for a second.

I once said during the period I was reading Archie that the only way I'd ever TRULY be into a Sonic story again is if it felt like what Archie seemed to be trying to do at times: Be a celebration of Sonic. EVERYTHING Sonic, not just some aspect of it that randos online claim to be "the real" Sonic or whatever.

We had stuff from Underground, SatAM, AoStH, the games, Archie's own crazy lore, and I think I can recall a panel where freaking Techno the Canary appeared. And I absolutely loved that. Like GENUINELY loved that, which I can't really say about a lot of other aspects of this franchise currently.

And the thing is, I don't even necessarily love all those things Archie was pulling from. Man, I haven't even read StC really. But it was still just awesome.

I don't feel QUITE as strongly about that anymore. While it would be nice to get this "celebration of Sonic" stuff going on again, I don't think it is a REQUIREMENT for me to "love" a Sonic story. But it sure would be nice, and for a second I thought that Sega was about to shut me up and give me that, even if only briefly and even if to a limited extent, which I never actually expected.

And now I learn that's not what's happening.

I'm sure it will be fine. Just like IDW thus far has just been fine and nothing particularly amazing. But they really shut down my hopes there, and as I said: IDW thus far has only really been fine, and I don't really see reason to expect it to be much more than that now.

Last edited: May 25, 2023