don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Unfortunately, it's just the same GIF that was used a year ago prior to Origins' release.

(But hey, Eggman's glasses could still become consistently blue in S2 if the Twitter's not necessarily using captures from Plus yet.)

2. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Oh well... Thanks for confirming :thumbsup:

I got an e-mail from SEGA today advertising Mania Plus which includes a new gif of Amy in Sonic 2:

[​IMG]

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Kinda looks like she's just Sonic's gameplay with the hammer working like an insta shield. A bit disappointing really. Was hoping for something Advance inspired to REALLY change up the games.

4. Jucei

Jucei

What's really bugging me (I know it's just me whining but I still wanted to mention) is that there's still the CD Amy sprites in game, but there's also playable Amy, which looks more like Mania sprites, which seems really clashing and makes me wonder why they didn't just make edited CD sprites for Amy (maybe with the shoes being edited blue).

Also the fact that Amy is not just using colors not from the character palette, but using colors that can't appear on the Genesis/Mega Drive, and the fact that Amy and her hammer use different colors of orange and red, which is so confusing.

...Then again this doesn't even matter that much and I'm just whining, but it keeps bugging me.

5. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Well, the sprites do use CD as a base, just with added details. I'd replace NPC Amy with the newer sprites in Aniversary Mode for consistency's sake.

I'm still hoping that the weird color issues are fixed in the final release. I've given up on the skirt utilizing all 3 shades of orange, but still hope that it and the hammer share the same colors. Doubt they'll ever adhere to the color limitations, tho.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Honestly at this point I can't give half a damn about color limitations. It's not like the Genesis could display at 400x224 either. If anything I'm a bit frustrated that the reams of dithered art in Sonic 3 hasn't been tweaked -- not that I'd expect them to redraw effectively the entirety of that game's art, given how much of it there is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. ElectricAngel

ElectricAngel

The only big stuff I care about is if they put back in the Sonic CD voice clips, fix the CD ending cutscene framerate, fix the 3&K bugs, and the performance and new cutscene scaling issues on Switch. Colors and dithering be damned, just make the game work properly, first and foremost. It's laughable how bad the performance is on this collection. Played in on PC, personally, and it was WAY too demanding for what it was. Constant slowdowns everywhere, which I hear is a problem in the menus on Switch.

I really want to support the physical release but can't in good conscience unless major issues are fixed. No amount of playable characters or emulated titles are gonna help save that.

8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I've never experienced slowdowns in menus on Switch. What does need fixing, however, is that the game just straight-up doesn't suspend properly if you return to the home screen - unless the game's in a state where the player could pause it, the game just continues running; otherwise, it still continues but manually pauses the game in the background. Just comes across as really sloppy, not accounting for the console's standard functionality.

Apparently there's a similar issue on PlayStation 4 or 5 too - not sure which as I don't own either, but I definitely remember someone bringing that up the last time I mentioned this.

EDIT: Went back and double-checked, it's PlayStation 4 apparently.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  9. ElectricAngel

ElectricAngel

I did hear about that too. Isn't that uh.. like.. against Nintendo's standard? I thought it'd be fixed by now. Like that's straight up something they'd get on their ass about, I'd think..

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I don't see them resotring the voice clips to Sonic CD tbh, I think that's very much a branding driven choice of Classic Sonic being mute. I'd love for the ending cutscene to be fixed but I'm not holding my breath.

11. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

They now might need to update SCD's credits to account for Headcannon's involvement, so there might be a chance there to fix up the credits (though I guess that would also mean updating credits for S1/S2/S3&K?)

The removed voices wouldn't be as frustrating if Sega didn't literally rerelease original SCD on the Mini console with them intact, because they can't edit ROMs like they can RSDK releases. Like, who are they trying to fool at that point?

12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I love the Amy sprite. She's super cute looking.

The only thing I don’t like is how she turns in to a solid pink ball when she's jumping. It looks like her clothes have disappeared. However, I think this is just because of the compression applied to the clips we have seen of her. When S/T/K jump, the solid ball sprite is semi-transparent, and you can still see their body details of them curled up into a ball. So I'm hoping that it will work like that with Amy.

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    This is 100% due to lowered frame rate in things like GIF previews etc. - if you check the Origins Plus Announce Trailer (which I think I'm right in saying is the only Amy footage we've seen at the correct frame rate), in the footage starting at 0:36 you can see that her jump animation does indeed flicker between the pink ball state and her curled-up body, just Sonic and Knuckles' jumping/rolling states (not Tails, though - he actually just stays in a ball state the entire time, I think Sonic Adventure may be the only time he flickers like the others?).

Side note: Watching again, the editing of the trailer doesn't quite seem to fit with the music track chosen - none of the captioning or cuts seem to synch with the accompanying music in any meaningful way. Combined with the chosen track sounding like something sourced from YouTube's free-to-use libraries, I'm betting this trailer was intended to use music from Hyper Potions similar to previous Mania and Origins trailers, which was then hastily replaced due to recent events.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    My bare minimum wanted fix is to use RSDK's scalers so the Hedgehog Engine doesn't smear the pixel art.

15. Vertette

Vertette

I doubt they will. Breaking hardware limitations is definitely a deliberate choice here.

I'm the kind of pixel artist who adheres to the limitations of real hardware whenever I can, mind you, but not every pixel artist does for very good reasons. Barely anyone notices, so why bother?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Am I the only one who thinks Amy’s CD sprites are ass? Plus they have like, 10 frames to them max hard to make a working sheet with that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’ve always thought Amy’s CD sprites made her look like a rat.

18. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    A cute rat, am I right?

19. Jucei

Jucei

I mean the main point I was trying to make were that Amy's Origins sprites are inconsistent with itself and the rest of the game. The main thing I want them to do foremost is to at least replace her CD sprites, it's weird if her Origins sprites were in all 4 games but have different Amy cutscene sprites in CD.

The color inconsistencies still bug me but that's not a major problem, she just doesn't look consistent to the other characters for me.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I'd be a nice fix, but so too were Knuckles own sprites and colors inconsistent in s3&K between his antagonist NPC self and playable self.

If they don't fix it, I guess that's part of the classic charm in and of itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List