don't click here

Alternate spinning ball animation in French MegaDrive TV ad

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Lyris, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Lyris

Lyris

A little surprised to be approved here, thanks! As promised:

Last year I was looking around France's INA (National Audiovisual Institute) for work, and started looking for old Sega stuff. There are some fun things on there, like promotions for both Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 that feature the character taking over the channel identification bumpers for Canal+ (drawn in a very European style too).

Most interesting to me though was this Mega Drive TV commercial which has a brief clip of the first boss fight from Sonic 1, with a very different looking wrecking ball graphic (and very obviously running on a 50hz Mega Drive, so the commercial footage presumaly recorded locally). This appears to be public-facing, so take a look: https://www.ina.fr/ina-eclaire-actu/publicite/pub3774380056/sega-mega-drive-console-jeu-video

The part in question is at 8 seconds. It shows the spinning ball from the first boss with far more fluid animation, what appears to be a rotating light shine effect. In fact, the light shine effect seems to rotate along with the ball itself rather than being fixed in place, which, on hardware that couldn't easily do its own rotation, must have taken up a decent chunk of graphics memory? Either way, it's much more striking than the final version which (correct me if I'm wrong) just alternates between two frames.

Apologies if this is a nothingburger and you've seen it all already, but I don't think that's the case as most people won't be trawling French audiovisual archives, and I can't see this documented on TCRF anywhere.

It makes me wonder though, where in the timeline does this fit? How does its removal tie in with the original dual-purpose of the ball animation? The animation shown here, to me, looks like it was designed specifically for this boss enemy.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-

It indeed is a nothingburger. These European ads (there are many variations of them in different languages and featuring different games) were manually edited in post production, you can even notice they even went through the effort of making the springs more cartoony with that super extended coil in Marble Zone. I guess they thought the original games didn't look interesting enough for the french audience? XD

We had posts about this since at least 2008 haha.

3. Lyris

Lyris

Ahhh, well my face is red. Thanks for confirming!

And seeing it in full context is very interesting rather than the cutdown version in the INA trailer. It's... an apple? In context it's clear what they're doing, in the shortened version, not so much.

Interestingly, I think that sort of "sprucing up" of footage would be illegal in some other European countries such as the UK due to their advertising laws - unless there was text that made it clear that the footage had been altered.

4. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
  5. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    I made the same mistake ages ago lol.

also @Blast Brothers they are indeed versions with live action stuff, I remember seeing one where some punk guy got hit with a spring.

6. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Lyris

Lyris

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Those are pretty cool edits for an early 90s commercial, a French one no less!

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I was expecting a grainy black and white film of a well dressed man smoking in front of a TV displaying only the eternally spinning wrecking ball animation, but this is way better :oldbie:

10. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Another rip of the commercial, courtesy of the aforementioned playlist:

Is it just bad frame blending, or does the really long spring extend past the blue overscan border on the right?

11. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Frame blending doesn't do that: since the blue border is intact and it's only on the black border, that must've been a digital post edit.

12. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    I really don't understand, why does they edited video? For.. for what? To make more heckin' mysteries in Sonic Fandom after so many ears of existing?

13. RDNexus

RDNexus

Yeah, that blue border helped nothing in that case. Why did they put it?

14. Lyris

Lyris

Isn’t that just what Sonic 1 looked like on a 50hz Mega Drive?

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yes it is.

16. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    lol, I'm more hung up on the Bird is the Word song being the background music for this.

17. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I was wondering whether that was the song, just because it didn't quite sound like it. Perhaps it's a cover of "Surfin' Bird" or even "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow"?

Also, I don't think this can be explained away as "50hz system":
    upload_2023-4-14_15-46-11.png

Specifically, this:
    upload_2023-4-14_15-47-16.png

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm going to ruin your day - that's not a rip, that's an attempt at remaking the advert. You can tell by the fact Labyrinth Zone is in a completely different aspect ratio, which was not the case in the original ad.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm going to ruin your day too:

I'll let someone else work out which cover version it is.

20. RDNexus

RDNexus

Watching the ad again, still seems to me those borders were inserted there to mimic the "50hz System".