don't click here

Air Circus

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  2. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    I'm willing to wager basically no units exist today. Although those beach balls might have a chance of surviving...

3. hiadlzupfer

hiadlzupfer

Nice find! That "Rocky" link takes you to the site for the MS game for the boxing film though...! ^^

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I've always got Sega Retro on the mind ;)

Fixed

5. hiadlzupfer

hiadlzupfer

Don't we all....? =))

6. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Was just discussing this one a few hours in the discord, it's nutty! I absolutely love it!

7. Pengi

Pengi

https://am.sega.jp/wp-content/uploads/common_161130.pdf

^ According to the above, Curling Holiday and Air Circus were both released sometime in the April 1993 to March 1994 period. In fact, they're listed right next to each other, but I don't know if that is of any significance.

Curling Holiday and Air Circus are probably the reason Pecky and Rocky were included in 1996's Basket Sega Sonic plush set:

[​IMG]

There was also a plush set with Sonic, Tails and Rocky. According to the tags they were prizes at "Sega Hi-Tech Theme Park". Which I'm guessing is referring to Hi-Tech Land: https://segaretro.org/Hi-Tech_Land_Sega

So was Air Circus associated with Hi-Tech Land, similarly to how Curling Holiday was associated with Galbo?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's some "new" art of Rocky on the Air Circus machine.

But since the 1991/1992 Sonic settei we have scans of has alternate poses for Flicky and Pocky, maybe these Rocky poses also date back to 1991.

https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Settei_Shiryoushuu

https://info.sonicretro.org/File:Sonicguide9.jpg
    https://info.sonicretro.org/File:Sonicguide10.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    I think this is just a prime example of buzzwords - Sega, like many companies in that era, used 'Hi-Tech' a lot to describe their arcade games (like the taikan simulators), their smaller amusement centres (like the Hi-Tech Lands), and, initially, their bigger theme parks (where both Curling Holiday and Air Circus were probably most often found):
    [​IMG]
    It seems that "Hi-Tech Theme Park" was the original name being touted for the whole Joypolis/Galbo concept, before they settled on Amusement Theme Park. I suspect those plushes were manufactured before the switch happened?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Stuff like this makes me think of visiting Disney Quest in the late 90s and how SEGA merch used to be a decent part of these rare Mega arcades, and if there's any lost artifacts from that era I've seen but forgotten about. The most obscure stuff is almost always outside the US, but from time to time I think back to those days and feel like there are little niggling things we've forgotten or that are not well documented from the Dreamcast era.

Anyway, good find. Love this stuff.

10. Ted909

Ted909

In fact, looking back at the only known footage of Curling Holiday near the start of this episode of Game Catalog II...

Even in compressed VHS quality, something familiar is there as well:
    [​IMG]
    Air Circus was actually lurking in plain sight next to it and Sonic Canball at Yokohama Joypolis. I think I even linked the video during one of the previous discussions about Curling Holiday on here - we should be better than this!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. IAMAMAZING100

IAMAMAZING100

12. Ted909

Ted909

I covered some of this ground the last time Curling Holiday came up for discussion as well; alongside all the hi-tech simulators and such, a big part of Sega's amusement concepts around that time were carnival games. They only really differ to the ticket redemption machines seen elsewhere due to stricter Japanese laws on prize prices.[​IMG]
    The amusement machine catalogue that made the existence of Air Circus a lot more obvious has more examples to boot, and there are plenty others besides these too. The air hockey tables grouped in with them on that System 16 guide are classed as 'sports games' a page prior to it though.
    [​IMG]
    Japan doesn't really make them anymore now, but they've been a big part of Sega Amusements International's business for the past couple of decades, and they continue to be now that the company is mainly off doing its own thing - so we end up with the Sega brand on stuff like their original Bop-It Arcade game.