don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    SEGA has genetically-engineered a new breed of human that can exclusively run Origins Plus on its cerebrum. They're coming to your house to saw off your hands right now.

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Mother of God...

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    And thus the Sonic Cycle begins anew!

[​IMG]

4. Pengi

Pengi

Here's something fun from Evan Stanley's tumblr: https://spiritsonic.tumblr.com/post...the-2022-annual-silver-specifically-says-that

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    [​IMG]
    Guess this answers the canon question so we don't have to ask Ian (I'm sure he'll still get 50 questions about it.)

6. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Just beat the murder of sonic game, it has a surprising amount of depth and quality so go play it before being spoiled :p

This game has some interesting lore implications, first Knuckles states he's known Espio for a 'long time' potentially referencing chaotix. Sonic also directly mentions frontiers and Sage is seen in the ending. Now obviously this isn't concrete really as omochao is also wanted for medical malpractice but it is worth noting that there are people credited as lore advisers and the like. Also seems to be doubling down on the tails tube stuff. The game takes place presumably along westside island's coast and features mostly anthro characters with references to the sonic unleashed continents and professor pickle. Also sonic forgot his wallet at home so yeah the sonic home and currency does not exist in the sonic world debates are now dead.

7. Levi Church

Levi Church

They just said Sonic doesn't have a home in the newest TailsTube like last week.

8. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    As posted a few posts above... The steam game description even mentions this game wasn't made by Sonic Team and is headcannon at best. It shouldn't be considered officially canon.

That said, I kind of hope this game's story becomes -loosely- canon. It has some interesting character development/bits of lore, and cool references.

9. Yeah, I hope Sonic Team will take some notes from it. And honestly, hope it will inspire to characters have different outfits too in mainline.

10. Levi Church

Levi Church

Espio definitely got some interesting character development in this game. I kinda hope some of it sticks but I do prefer how he's written in IDW.

11. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    I didn't notice any major contradictions in the plot of the game, so I'll headcanon this in the timeline and no one's gonna stop me

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I already have it post-Sonic Frontiers.

13. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    So I take it that the "new direction" tweet was in reference to this visual novel game? If so, it makes more sense, now. I initially took it to be unironic. I was thinking "Really? Another major shift in direction? No confidence in their own brand with no clear vision. Color me disinterested." Glad to see that apparently isn't the case.

14. I think most people understood it as a setup to an April Fool’s joke. With Sonic Frontiers’ success, and the updates coming for the game, there’s no way they’d change direction now and lose the steam they’ve built. I personally never expected this VN to be the punchline though lol.

15. Levi Church

Levi Church

Watching today's Bumblekast. It goes into why
    money was mentioned in the Murder game. Things like that were caught by the lore team before release but they just choose not to flag it because it's an April Fools game, not meant to be taken too seriously. The no money rule is still around but it is under revision.
    13:57

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Of course it is.

I still ponder how they're to handle Team Chaotix' entire story in Sonic Heroes, since the entire thing is motivated by the search for 'the thing that shall not be named because ??????????'.

17. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    Nothing in the actual series confirms the non-existance of money. I feel that lore discussions often focus too much on things that are being said to us by the creators, rather than what's actually being shown. So, money is supposed to not exist? So what? Characters still tak about money years after we heard of this rule, and even if they didn't, no one would even realize money isn't supposed to be canon anymore because.. well, it isn't in the text, it's just creators saying but not showing, and I assume that's the point, I'd highly doubt that Sega care about random stuff like "How can Vector be poor if there is no money?", so always take their "lore" changes with a grain of salt until something in the text actually implies that it is really being reinforced.

Basically, what I'm saying is that this rule is most likely just Sega not wanting to compromise with what the Sonic characters use as currency (Rings? Real world money? Some fictional coin?) and being very touchy on the subject because of that.

Unless I actually see something that implies money isn't a thing in-universe, I'm not taking this rules we're not even supposed to know about to heart

18. Levi Church

Levi Church

I just think it's funny that SEGA says there is no money.

19. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I think the rule wasn’t “there’s no money in Sonics World” but more along the lines of “please don’t depict the characters exchanging or talking about money.” It’s still weird but it’s the kind of brand guideline that I’m sure lots of properties have.

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Why would you spoiler tag that?