don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Pengi

Pengi

When asked if Sonic 2's time travel idea was created before or after Sonic CD's time travel, Yasuhara said "I didn't know what Ohshima-san did at the time".

(07m 05s)

Famitsu's interview for Sonic's 25th anniversary had this exchange: https://sonicjpnews.blogspot.com/2016/06/translation-of-sonic-25th-anniversary.html

So if Ohshima's memory is accurate, Metal Sonic had already been designed by the time he heard that Sonic 2 would have a Mecha Sonic.

More recently, Yasushi Yamaguchi had this to say, when asked if there was a common origin between his Mecha Sonic and the Game Gear Mecha Sonic: https://twitter.com/judy_totoya/status/1595242576424349696

Google Translated:

It's possible that's how they both landed on time travel. Naka mentions that was one of Ohshima's early ideas before Sonic was Sonic: https://shmuplations.com/sonicteam/

As for the Sonic robots, I think that just comes from it being the most obvious idea for what to do in a sequel. The evil twin character is inevitable, and when the series is all about fighting robots, then of course the evil twin is going to be a robot. And in Japan the most obvious name for a robot Sonic would be "Mecha Sonic".

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. I’m very glad that Mecha and Metal were used for their respective characters. The hard “ka” sound in “mecha” evokes a chunkier and rougher image, while “metal” gives a polished and sleek impression.

3. Bobblen

Bobblen

In Sonic Triple Trouble Special Stage 3 (the second 2D stage), these odd pulsating black spheres are dotted around all over the place and pop in and out of view. Do they have any purpose other than decoration / atmosphere? I've been mapping the stage and they don't really help direct you through the maze or anything like that, they're scattered around seemingly at random. You can't touch them either.
    upload_2023-3-27_12-13-44.png

4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    huh, those look like the "bumper" gumballs from the Sonic 3 gumball machine and glowing spheres bonus stages

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think if you play as Tails that touching them can knock you out of fly state, but I'd have to check and I haven't played the game in quite some time.

6. Bobblen

Bobblen

How could I forget about Tails? Stopping you cheesing the puzzles by flying over them would make sense.

7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Sonic Unleashed's DLCs all come bundled with higher resolution lighting for all the areas in their respective countries. This fact was never advertised by SEGA, and isn't on any wikis.
    upload_2023-3-28_20-21-36.png upload_2023-3-28_20-21-45.png
    upload_2023-3-28_20-22-10.png upload_2023-3-28_20-22-31.png
    The only country in the game this doesn't apply to is Eggmanland, likely because it never got a DLC pack.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • List
  8. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    To be fair, pretty much nothing is noted about the DLCs except for the poor souls who try and S-Rank it.

9. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    A friend of mine has just pointed out the similarity between Kome Kome Club - Hustle Blood, from 1987, and Stardust Speedway Bad Future (US). I had never seen anyone point this out, so I'm legitimately shook.

10. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Here's a Youtube link for "Hustle Blood" for the lazy. Kind of uncanny opening chord progression, and it's in the same key! I'd still say coincidence, but very cool nonetheless.

The rhythm of Palmtree Panic US is inspired by "Mister E" by Pete Escovedo, so here's that for comparison too.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  11. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Putting this here because this is probably going to be an April Fool's joke, but wanted to document this somewhere:
    EDIT: Don't know how to fix that. Try this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Plot-twist: They will release Sonic Adventure 3 trailer as joke and it will be legit and release in 2030.

13. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    I have no idea what to expect but I think a Chao Garden tease would be awesome lol

14. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    They bought the rights for Sonichu?????

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    If it's actually a joke, and I think it is, they're probably going to say that the new direction is "left".

16. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    [​IMG]

It begins.

17. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Well..

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Tommy Tallarico, who's credited for composing Molten Mine, Great Megalith, and the Cauldron in Sonic and the Black Knight, most certainly did not write them and rather took the credit from Todd Dennis. Molten Mine is a remix of a track from Black Dawn, which Dennis (who worked at Tallarico's studio) is credited as sole composer, while Great Megalith is lifted unaltered from said game. The Cauldron does not appear in Black Dawn but it sounds similar to Dennis' work, so there's a strong possibility it came from Tallarico Studios' archives.

If you know anything about Tallarico, this shouldn't surprise you. If you don't, well here's your introduction to him.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    He's so full of shit, constantly. Did you know he claims to be the first American to ever work on a Sonic game, and points to Black Knight as that game?

20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Oh yeah, I knew that. Fuckin' amazing how breathlessly he lies about stuff it's so easy to disprove.