don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Miles3298

Miles3298

Learning of Headcannon's involvement changed my stance from "definitely not going to get the DLC" to "I'm getting it as soon as it's out". I'm not too impressed with having to pay more to end up with overall less than you can get with the original price alone, but I definitely want to send my "SEGA please keep working with these guys" dollars and desperately hope they're received that way.

Edit: I should probably clarify, I'm an early adopter.

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    2D games contracted to a third party developer, regardless of whether it's Headcannon or not, is an easy way to keep fans happy (and more importantly from SEGA's perspective, profits up,) in between the big mainline releases.

It's what they did in the 2000s with the Advance and Rush series, and it seems like the obvious thing to do today with the gaps between the main games being larger than ever.

3. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Right it seems like a no-brainer for SEGA to just treat Headcannon as the new DIMPS. No sure whether or not Stealth wants that...

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Stealth seems a bit more willing to be the Sonic guy than Taxman it feels like.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nice to see Stealth's onboard.

Still waiting on that EU reverse sleeve image, Sega America =P

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    That's exactly what I said about 200 pages ago. For better or for worse, we're funding a potential Mania 2, or at the bare minimum funding Headcannon/Stealth's long term career by doing this. Yes, SEGA should be doing better, but I'm fine with throwing 45$ total at them (the amount I'm actually paying after buying the DLC, even as an early adopter), if it means his career has the chance to take off, and gives Mania 2 a much stronger chance, AND also helps keep some of my all time favorite games relevant for the next generation of gamers.

Will it happen? I don't know, but I don't personally feel it's money wasted and never have. It's taken nearly 30 years go get all these characters and features officially, but better late than never. And if you actually know of Stealth's background, I'd easily argue he's the single most qualified person outside of the original developers to be doing this. He knows the games better than even Whitehead and always has.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I mean technically, Amy has Sonic the Hedgehog/Sonic the Hedgehog CD sprites and these new ones, but playable-wise, yeah, universal sprites.

8. Snowbound

Snowbound

It would be really funny if Amy’s Sonic CD campaign has her saving her old Sonic CD sprites

9. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Was there an update on the Origins Super Sonic sprites that appear to be edits of Sonic 3 Complete's sprites?

For context:
    [​IMG]

I'd assume A+Start just asked the original creator of the sprites to use them, but credit would be nice. If these actually are edits.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hmmm yea it’s similar but at the same time how much variety will one get when both are emulating the Sonic 3 style. If they both did their job right, they’d both look pretty similar to each other

Amy saves alt Amy from herself :V

But yea I was referring to playable sprites

11. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    SAME

12. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I actually really love the Sonic 3 sprites, but as I've pondered on this I think it might just be residual affection for Sonic 3 as a game rather than specifically liking the design more.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I love Sonic 3, it’s my favorite classic Sonic game. But once Sonic 3 Complete came out I got spoiled with the Sonic 2 style I like, then AIR came out and then I was completely spoiled. I haven’t used Sonic’s Sonic 3 sprites intentionally since 2013. I just think they look kinda goofy.

14. Turbohog

Turbohog

Sonic sprites in 3&K have actually always been my favorite. Especially a fan of his shade of blue.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Like the shade of blue too. And I like the Super sprites even.

just hate the core design

16. Snowbound

Snowbound

Sonic 3’s sprites on a CRT look incredible. It has a pseudo-3D aesthetic that gets lost on modern displays

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  17. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Y'know, it'd be really nice if all of the art was touched up to blend the dithering while still remaining as clean pixel art. Things like the palmtree leaves in EHZ, the tubes in CPZ, the glass crushing columns in MZ, are all supposed to be transparent. Not to mention the sheer amount of dithering in the art in general.

I forget where I saw this, but one of the original devs complained about this, and I agree with them. Eh, oh well, it's not gonna happen. Perhaps there could be a community project to do this?

18. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    It would be hard to do that faithfully, a better option would to include the filters that were in mania (or better ones).

You could theoretically get a modern computer to display to a CRT, you'd need to get a few adapters and some time and effort to get it to display correctly though. At that point you may as well just get out an actual megadrive. If you want some of the features that are in origins, get some sort of everdrive type thing and load it with an assortment of rom hacks and such that will allow you to play as tails/knuckles in sonic 1 and CD there's even one hack that ports elemental sheids (origins only has this as a cheat code) there's also nothing stoping someone from porting all the layout changes and sprites (well apart from the Amy sprites).

19. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Perhaps to some extent, but I believe that with a strict criteria and methodology it could be done reasonably faithfully. Anything with 1-pixel wide column strips or checkered pattern is a very clear-cut case of "this was totally meant to be dithered or translucent". Gradients with 2-pixel wide columns are also a pretty clear-cut case of "this was meant to be a smooth gradient".

20. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Chalk me up as another Sonic 3 sprite enjoyer. :V