don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

worth bearing in mind as well, though, that Sega isn’t exactly known for their rock-solid marketing decisions

they managed to go this exact game’s entire initial development without revealing “Sonic 3&K in Retro Engine” in the first place despite the capability of that exact combination of words to have half the fanbase foaming at the mouth

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    • Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Snowbound

Snowbound

4. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    so what are the odds now of sonic mania 2

5. Snowbound

Snowbound

I don’t know but I’m def buying Origins Plus to increase those odds. In the meantime everyone should buy pier pressure to directly support Headcanon

6. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    As a selfish fan I refuse to accept that Headcannon can’t possibly be involved because of these major RSDK additions being done to EACH game. Stealth’s and A+Start’s silences only adds to the likelihood of their involvement. However I will agree with SEGA likely telling Stealth that they don’t want him to go off once more after what he said about Origins and Mania’s launch.

As a realistic fan, I can’t see anyone on Sonic Team/SEGA making these RSDK alterations without some sort of oversight, thus resulting in other bugs. After Origins’ initial launch, they can’t be this careless again because it will piss off A LOT of people.

I want this collection to succeed and for this to be as close to definitive as possible.

EDIT: Ninja’d, I bloody knew it and I’m so stoked to be right!!!

7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    My confidence in this has immediately soared upwards tenfold from where it originally was, just with the knowledge of this alone.

The replies also mention "a few additional updates and enhancements" so my fingers are crossed this will make the collection really shine like it was always meant to.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  9. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Wow, what are the odds? Did everyone just schedule their Tweets a week off?

(part of the post I was writing that I didn't have to just scrap:)

I have some theories as to why it's just the Game Gear games. I'm guessing Sega still never developed an in-house 32X emuiator and isn't going to go through the trouble of finally making one just for one fast and easy rerelease. And it wouldn't feel like a complete collection if you missed one of the spin-off Genesis titles, like "all 4 mainline classics" or "all Game Gear games" is. Perhaps the same thing with SegaSonic and trackball emulation, even if Fighters would be easy and the only other arcade game that would really count. Granted, I'm not sure if they would've included Mean Bean after excluding it from the music DLC or, like, Sonic Eraser. IDK, there's not much room for other complete sets of Classic Sonic games to include when you factor all of that in.

More cynically, perhaps they didn't want their hypothetical inclusion to take away from either 3D Blast/Spinball/Mean Bean/Fighters' current availability on certain platforms, or the existing Music DLC being sold for Origins. This is Origins we're talking about, a bit more nickel and diming attitude wouldn't be surprising. Game Gear games were only recently being offered on the dead 3DS eShop and maybe Xbox backwards compatible SADX? (not on Steam SADX, that's for sure)

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I’m definitely optimistic for Origins Plus. Paying for being an early adopter is dumb but I’m in an abusive relationship with this franchise and they’re making genuine improvements so I’m probably not going to be able to resist.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  11. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    He was lurking for a David post

I'm glad he got the gig to have another shot at it. Dude deserves it.

12. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

i do remember from the Genesis Mini 2 press cycle that M2 wanted to have a 32x emulator running for that but couldn’t quite crack it on the time, hardware, and budget restraints

frankly I’m still just ecstatic they were able to get a CD emulator running for that

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I suspect I'm the only one asking for this but if they're going to add yet another character to Sonic 3(K) I would humbly suggest that they give us more save slots. Sure, I could have one slot per character, but I like seeing the little icons that show up when you beat the game, and when you do so with all the chaos emeralds.

(I mean if you include the base game, there's 14 save slots in Sonic 3)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Told you guys.

Given the tone of his tweets, it now sounds like they've been given much more free reign over the entire collection, meaning we can hopefully get the bugfixes they had planned. This is in sharp contrast to last year when it was clear they were pushed out a bit. SEGA seems to be fixing that now that Frontiers is out.

His emphasis on making these titles "the best they can be" is noteworthy, given how impressive the 2013 mobile releases were for their time. Now if only we could get rid of Denuvo on PC. And dare I hope for a better save system and menu as well for S1, 2, CD? We'll see.

Regardless, this is good news. If they do a good enough job, I might need to grab myself a physical switch copy for portability's sake too.

Now my fanboy dream can go back to wishing for modernized versions of 3D Blast Saturn and Chaotix... but oh well. I guess I can think of this collection as a compilation of 8 and 16 Bit Sonic's era... minus Genesis Spinball for some odd reason. 32 bit era titles will have to be the odd ones out.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  15. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Also minus Sonic Eraser!
    [​IMG]

16. Im much more at ease on this now that I know Headcannon/Stealth are involved again. I really hope the games can look, play, and hopefully SOUND the best they can.

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I'm still apprehensive about the whole thing, but this has given me hope. It's nice that SEGA and Sonic Team were willing to work with him after Stealth has publicly spoken out against them a couple times.

I'm also interested to see what they've changes about the games and bugs they've fixed. Maybe they will make the collection worthwhile.

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

If they gave Headcannon full control I don't expect it to be royally and totally unscrewed from what Sega personally did to the collection but it's a good sign at least. I'm not placing my money down this time until I know what is going on and people are happy with it, and that's still 3 months away so whatever.

Cautious optimism, mostly because that's how badly Sega screwed the pooch and Headcannon on this one before.

19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Honestly the way he's written it makes it sound like it's the same as before. Headcanon have done work on the games and sent them to SEGA.

Hopefully there won't be more bugs introduced in the compiling.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    It's not the same, as he wanted more time to fix bugs but didn't get it previously. He didn't touch Sonic 1, 2 or CD for the collection, which is where Sega screwed it up by implementing features themselves without either him or Taxman. The bugs that were in S3&K came from Sega not giving him more time to patch issues himself that came from the original build he was developing. This time, he's working on all 4 games directly while Sega themselves are probably not adding any features to the games. If we're lucky, that means he just drops them in with the features he and his team have added and minimal issues.

I don't think he'd be speaking up if there wasn't an improved relationship after he called them out very quickly last year. This is a markedly different tone from the initial reaction.

That's not to say Sega couldn't introduce more problems, but we'll have to see. Time is the issue here and there's no clear sign of how long they've worked on this.