don't click here

The internet lies: cheat code edition

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Jul 9, 2022.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This is why this matters. I noticed MagForce Racing, a game nobody ever cared about (although spoilers: it's not terrible) had a "debug mode" cheat listed. Save a high score as "JOHNM" - I wonder what we can mess with...

[​IMG]

wait

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's a code that turns everything into [John] Malkovich. It is the best code.

Fun fact: we got this film as a freebie with our first DVD player. I've never watched it.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. DaveDave

DaveDave

Just want to say thank you! Your hard work stamping out fake cheats and documenting new ones is not going unnoticed.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Improving the women's game:

[​IMG]

Silicon Dreams' ladies versus all the world's men on... the surface of Mars?

[​IMG]

It was going well until this player got frozen in time. They tried to tackle her but the ball's off the ground. Nobody wins!

[​IMG]
    One move and it's a foul. Should have been a red. Should have cared enough to continue playing.

UEFA Dream Soccer or "why do football games have the worst menus?". You need three codes to unlock all the stadiums, and most of the internet just labels them 1-through-16. This is "Stadium 16", which is clearly labeled as "Out of this World" in-game.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

Name your character after a "recent" Olympic host city in ESPN International Track & Field and you get a metallic-coloured athlete. Including Athens 2004, which hadn't happened yet (assuming it's not the 1896 games).

[​IMG]

But for whatever reason, the 1956 Melbourne and 1992 Barcelona games are missing. I'm guessing it's because they're more than 8 letters.. but

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    The 1952 games are in Gold and the 1960 games are Bronze. Surely Melbourne should be silver! Oh well.

Incidentally this takes us to 1000 hidden content pages. Well done team

• List
  5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Re-Volt which I thought was done, but whatever.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/dreamcast/198470-re-volt/cheats
    The GameFAQs page is a bit sloppy but mostly right. Supposedly some cheats are different in the PAL version which is why there are duplicates - someone else can check, since Re-Volt is great and you should play it.

But "Hi-Fi Mode" which the internet calls it... is not that. In fact, if anything it's "lo-fi":

[​IMG] -> [​IMG]
    It's the secret 60FPS mode (which affects timing, so I can get a nice grid start). Take out some of the scenery, reduce the draw distance, and you can double the frame rate.

Is it worth doing? ...maybe? Both modes look and run better than the N64 and PS1 iterations (and you always get 8 cars in a race instead of 4), but the added fogging isn't very... Dreamcast-esque. I think I prefer being able to see the road.

Also reverse tracks are not a hidden thing on Dreamcast. In fact, the game openly offers reverse, mirror and reverse-mirror versions of every course - all racing games should do this!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Bobblen

Bobblen

Nice find, and yet another category ;) I seem to recall Sega Rally 2 has one of those as well. It's been on my TODO list for ages now to return to all the Sega PC games I looked at last year and add in the Arcade/Saturn/Dreamcast sections (which are probably going to look quite similar).

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Hydro Thunder's not in good shape:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/dreamcast/197594-hydro-thunder/cheats

There is a lot of confusion across the net on this one - all of those codes, as GameFAQs describes them, don't work (except for clean pause, and "super start" (though even then there's two variations of that)). Other sites claim the PAL version behaves differently (I don't think it does), others claim you need a top 3 or 5 finish (or a top 3 or 5 high score?) in all the easy tracks before things will start working - it's a mess.

Finishing second or third in the "Thunder Park" track, then inputting my name as "?DL" gave me the medium tracks and boats prematurely ("?DL" and/or "?DP" is meant to grant you everything), but this isn't a game where you can easily test all the different permutations - you need to have a perfect race to come 1st, so for now, this is as far as I'll go.

And the other reason for that is not all Hydro Thunders are created equal:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not sure the original US launch version (with added Dreamcast logo) even has the cheats. The "Hot! New!" revision of the game (and the basis for the PAL version) behaves slightly differently in places, and we can't rule out people getting confused with the arcade (or PC) versions.

It's also a port of a Midway arcade game, which means it might have a bazillion secrets that haven't even been discovered yet. It doesn't have Kombat Kodes, but who knows, maybe you can play as Rain if it's a full moon in December on a Tuesday.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    no there is no rhyme nor reason to the games I'm picking

Slam 'n Jam '96 Featuring Magic & Kareem

Simple stuff.
    [​IMG]
    On the main menu, you press left right up down R L A down for the Left Field Lefties

then left right up down R L A up for the Monsters.

You can't have Monsters without Lefties. Obviously.

Oh but then if you press R L A you get version info, which can be seen by leaving the game alone for a bit and pressing start at the title screen:

[​IMG]

This is "cheat level" 3.

How much further can we go?

[​IMG]
    L L L takes us to "Status Box". I... don't know what this does. This was glossed over in Saturn cheat coverage in favour of...

[​IMG]
    R R R for "Short Quarters". And... nobody checked this at all, because it... doesn't make quarters shorter. The shortest they go is 2 minutes, both before and after this code. Okay.

[​IMG]
    down down down takes us to cheat level 6: "Memory Dump". Where does it dump memory? Nobody knows - this was documented as a PlayStation cheat, but not a Saturn one (spoilers: the codes are identical on PlayStation, just swap A for X and use L1/R1). You have to input these six codes in order so you can forgive the gaming media for losing track.

Do any of these codes do anything? Does it go further? Maybe someone will find out one day.

• List
  9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I wasn't entirely sure if it was an error, but yes, NBA 2K2 has pretty much the same cheats as NBA 2K1.

Yes the pixels do match up. Annual sports games, everybody.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I was gonna say something like "at least back then annual sports games had fun stuff like big head mode", but it turns out modern NBA 2k does have Big Head Mode, at least as recently as 2k20. (Sounds like it's a special event or something, but yeah)

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    More baskets and balls.

College Slam, specifically the Mega Drive version, is a bit wobbly:
    https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/genesis/915986-college-slam/cheats
    I could only get the "on fire" and "quick hands" cheats to work after looking at the SNES codes (and making educated guesses), but the rest are fine. I do wonder if there's a big head mode hiding somewhere in the code - every basketball game should have one!

However there is an "infinite shot clock" cheat listed that's... not a cheat at all. It's a bug. And a fun one.

For whatever reason, if you press A+B+C while highlighting the shot clock time option, you're taken back to the title screen, and the option breaks. If you revisit the config screen, the upper and lower boundaries of the shot clock will have been removed, letting you set it to stupid numbers.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Finally I can play basketball the way it was intended - with BLANK-0 or n9 second shot clocks. You can set the value to something stupidly high (and therefore essentially remove the feature) but you can also set it to a negative time, which means you get SHOT CLOCK VIOLATION: the game:

[​IMG]

it's like an episode of Scooby Doo.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    They did themselves a disservice in the 90s - NBA Showtime: NBA on NBC is basically "NBA Jam 3" (or "NBA Jam 4"?), but you would never know, because they couldn't keep the old name and they're in bed with broadcaster NBC, despite NBC not really doing a whole lot here.

But just like previous entries there's a bazillion cheats (including the Mortal Kombat-style Kombat Kodes "special codes"), including a whole set of weather effects for outdoor courts... that you probably wouldn't see, because those are also secret.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/dreamcast/198091-nba-showtime-nba-on-nbc/cheats

Quite a few of these "vs screen" codes don't work though - anything with a "5" in it, from what I can tell. I suspect these work in other versions, but not on Dreamcast for whatever reason. A bug?

And yes that is a badly resized HUD. Redream also can't cope with the commentary, so emulated versions on YouTube should be easy to spot.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Kill me now

I have documented all 66 secret characters in NBA Showtime, which includes those often missing from lists and... five duplicate (or prototype characters?) with very minor differences.

Anyway some highlights, because if I'm going to waste my day taking screenshots, you're going to waste your day looking at them. I've not done the research yet so some of these might be US celebrities or whatever.

[​IMG]
    "Crispy"

[​IMG]
    "Horse"

[​IMG]
    "Jacko"

[​IMG]
    "Nikko"

[​IMG]
    "The Wiz"

[​IMG]
    "Dennis Rodman", a North Korean favourite.

[​IMG]
    "Biggy"

[​IMG]
    "Smalls"

[​IMG]
    Smaller Biggy.

[​IMG]
    Bigger Smalls.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    The reason Dennis Rodman was a hidden character in NBA Showtime is because he was going through a period of being waived by multiple teams when the game released. LA had just sat Rodman for essentially an entire season, kind of like what they wanted to do with Russel Westbrook recently, and then he went to the Mavericks in late 1999 only to be waived after like 4 games. Rodman was actually a standout player in the previous game, NBA Hangtime aka NBA Jam 3, and has some unique code to handle his constantly switching hair color. They threw him in as a hidden character in Showtime because they didn't want to waste the unique character they had created for the game. He wasn't really a contributing player on any NBA team at the time, so they made him a hidden character.

Also, NBA Showtime absolutely sucked, what an enormous step back from NBA Hangtime. Who wants to play an NBA Jam game with fouls and freethrows???

EDIT: For clarification, a close friend of mine worked on NBA Jam TE, NBA Hangtime, and NBA Showtime (along with various Midway fighting games).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  15. Bobblen

Bobblen

Good grief that's alot of secret codes, makes the MK games look relatively simple. Well done for persevering @Black Squirrel ,especially with all those screenshots! I've got a copy of Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe for PC (which has ports of Dreamcast Hydro Thunder & SF Rush 2049) so I'll take a look at those two. I had a lot of luck working out all the MK4 cheats on PC then applying it to MK Gold, so maybe this will work well again.

16. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    SMS Power claims that entering the password EDA00 while holding 1+2 together in Shinobi II: The Silent Fury will get you a Round Select, but...the Round Select is already part of the main gameplay and shows up anyway when starting a new game. So what does that hidden password really do, then?

Turns out that it starts you off with all five ninjas and nine Ninjutsu points!

upload_2023-3-30_15-26-9.png

GameFAQs also claims
    the same password gives you the Round Select as well as all the Crystals, except it doesn't give you the Crystals.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  17. Bobblen

Bobblen

If I remember correctly, you have to rescue 4 guys and can pick the 4 levels in any order. When you've got all 4, only then can you pick the 5th level. Does the password also unlock the 5th level without doing anything else? Presumably it does if you have all five ninjas.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    Army Men: Sarge's Heroes, or "why is the woman not green" has dozens of codes, because it was published by Midway, and those are the rules. Too bad they didn't spend the time making the game better.

While hunting for Dreamcast codes I found the next best thing!... Nintendo 64 codes, which exist on the disc too. Not that anyone has bothered to verify that version's cheats either (and I'm only assuming N64 - some of the codes match lists, but the lists are seemingly incomplete), but yeah:

Code (Text):
    1. CLNLGRMM      Attack
    2. TRGHTR        Spy Blue
    3. TDBWL         Bathroom
    4. MSTRMN        Riff Mission
    5. TLLTRS        Forest
    6. SCRDCT        Hoover Mission
    7. STPDMN        Thick Mission
    8. BLZZRD        Snow Mission
    9. SRFPNK        Shrap Mission
    10. GNRLMN        Fort Plastro
    11. HTTTRT        Scorch  Mission
    12. ZBTSRL        Showdown
    13. HTKTTN        Sandbox
    14. PTSPNS        Kitchen
    15. HXMSTR        Living Room
    16. VRCLN         The Way Home
    17. CNN           Cinematic Level One
    18. CNTWN         Cinematic Level 2.1
    19. CNTWTW        Cinematic Level 2.2
    20. CNTWTHR       Cinematic Level 2.3
    21. CNTWFR        Cinematic Level 2.4
    22. CNTHR         Cinematic Level Three
    23. CNFR          Cinematic Level Four
    24. DNSTHMN       All Levels
    25. NSRLS         Weapons
    26. MMRTL         Immortal
    27. MMLVSRM       Max Ammo
    28. CNTN          Continues
    29. DNLVSHSF      Invisible
    30. xxxTNSLDRS    Tin Soldier
    31. BGGRN         Big Green One
    32. GRNGRLRX      Vikki
    33. PLSTRLVSVG    Plastro
    34. SHRMNSLDR     Hail Mendheimicus
    35. THDTST        Test Info
    36. LVNGLRG       Living Large
    37. DRVLLVSMM     Mini Mode
    38. JHNNBRZ       Johnny Breeze
    39. PNKBNN        Pink Bunny
    40. CHNG          Chunga
    41. FTHD          Fat Head
    42. SLPHLLW       Sleepy Hallow
    43. NBRNR         No Brainer
    44. XRCST         Exorcist
    45. FTFT          Fat Feet
    46. SPRKLWRLD     Sparkle World
    47. LNRGRVT       Lunar Gravity
    48. RBNML          
    49. SFFRMV        Saffire Making Of
    50. MDWTSTR       Day in the life
    51. CHNGLVNGRM    Chunga Living Room
    52. FCFJHNRN      Face of JohnRen
    53. FCFHL         Face of Hal
    54. FCFBRN        Face of Bryan
    55. FCFJHNN       Face of Johnny
    56. FCFMK         Face of Mike
    57. FCFRCHRD      Face of Richard
    58. FCFSTV        Face of Steve
    59. FCFBRNT       Face of Brent
    60. FCFRBN        Face of Robyn
    61. FCFSTWRT      Face of Stewert
    62. FCFTDD        Face of Todd
    63. FCFJN         Face of Jun
    64. FCFKTH        Face of Kathy
    65. FCFJRM        Face of Jeremy
    66. FCFDNN        Face of Danny
    67. FCFBRD        Face of Brad
    68. FCFDSTN       Face of Dustin
    69. FCFCRR        Face of Carrie
    70. FCFRNNX       Face of Ryan Nix
    71. FCFTLRRNSTRM  Face of Tyler Renstrom
    72. FCFMGNRNSTRM  Face of Megan Renstrom
    73. FCFNKKPN      Face of Nikki Pino
    74.               Face of Alexis Pino
    75. FCFBRTPN      Face of Bret Pino
    76. FCFZCH        Face of Zach
    77. FCFBRNTNGN    Face of BrienAtangan
    78. FCFVRGLBD     Face of VirgilAbad
    Many are the same as on Dreamcast (or have Dreamcast equivalents), but "Chunga Living Room" is unique to Nintendo's machine. We have to make do with features such as "Disco Madness" instead:

[​IMG]

Because nothing says "disco" like BLACK TEXTURES.

I think maybe my favourite is the "evil spirit" (VLSPRT) code which makes the characters heads rotate like in the Exorcist. The problem is this is running at 640x480 and all the heads are green - you can't tell which direction they're facing!

19. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Yeah, that's exactly how the game's structure goes, same goes for its predecessor The GG Shinobi. I don't understand why other sites believed the password is a "Round Select" password and didn't look further than that.

And no, the password doesn't unlock the final level - you still have to gather the Crystals. Given how the password is just like the other hidden passwords to view the sound test and ending in that you have to hold 1+2 for it to work, it's a hardcoded password.

• List
  20. Bobblen

Bobblen