don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    So, been mulling on this for a week.

Really, really happy for the people who were desperate for playable Amy. I think that's a massive win for you - and I know this will delight many fans.
    But it doesn't do anything for me. It's not that I don't want it - just, it's not what I would have gone for. Adding Amy to those games doesn't draw me in and isnt a reason to pay for the DLC upgrade. I mean, I paid for the Mania upgrade and got maybe an extra 40 minutes out of experimenting with Mighty and Ray - but... Track record shows me if I go back I just play as the classic Trio.

Then the GG games. I've seen debate before on the technical merits of GG v SMS - and I fall firmly on the SMS side of the argument. The extra real estate on the screen to see what is ahead of you makes the games far more fun and outweighs any technical merits between the consoles on horsepower specs.

So, I am dissapointed.
    I'm really torn. I don't know if I'll get the DLC or not.

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I wonder if there's a way to have the Game Gear games run with said extra screen space, like how some SNES Emulators let the SNES games run in widescreen. Hell, perhaps see if the games can be made the run in widescreen...

3. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    If so they'd not only need to patch the roms to allow them to render stuff that far out but also need a custom made emulator. Don't think that's a route they would go down especially as these are just side things in the museum.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I don't think they touch the ROMs with the SNES example I mentioned, it's all the emulator at work.

I was also thinking for outside SEGA, since I don't think SEGA would put in the effort as you advised.

5. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    The games in their current state would only be rendering stuff slightly of screen, increasing the screen size would allow you to see tiles being loaded over old ones. The roms would have to be patched to increase the render distance. I am aware of the possibility of m2 or some other team working on this, even then, patching each game and making a bespoke emulator would pointless as most non fans wouldn't even mind or possibly even notice. Makes much more sense spending this time on hacking in a drop dash. They would have gone said something about it if they were doing it. These GG roms are most likely just going to be like they are in say SADX for example little bonuses in an extras menu with nothing else.

6. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Plus I can imagine something like stretching the GG field of view would violate certain mandates on the games being "authentic" to the original releases. Like, Sega would want these GG games to resemble their original release, they wouldn't do something that weird with it like they wouldn't change the music and graphics of Green Hill Zone in Sonic 1.

I wanna bet that the GG emulator is where we'll finally see the cut rewind feature found in the code, but I'm not sure if that's specifically coded within the Retro Engine side of things or not.

7. Pengi

Pengi

That one seems workable. A lot of the others are dependant on Knuckles' gliding and/or climbing abilities. I think it's most likely that she'll just get the Sonic routes.

8. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    personally, my real pie-in-the-sky want is for Final Fever to finally be realised. The way it was described as being a boss stage where time is in flux sounds like one of the most novel bosses the franchise could've had, and one that could only work in CD and I will forever be sad that SEGA veto'd it in the 2011 remake.

9. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I think I'm alright with Origins Plus. I wanted the game on Switch anyway so I'll definitely be picking up that physical copy, although I probably won't buy the DLC for my Steam copy.

One thing that does strike me as odd though that Origins is getting 1 new character and a bunch of roms for 10$ but Frontiers is getting much more new content for completely free. Adding 1 new character and roms to Origins is probably much easier than what Frontiers is getting, and yet Origins Plus is the one we have to pay for. What gives?

10. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Origins is getting a physical release

Frontiers was already a physical release

11. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Origins Physical gets you everything
    If you were an early adopter, you got to pay up paypig and get less since the physical release comes with an art book.

Origin's release in general is just a mess. There was the whole confusing mess with the pre-order bonuses.
    This is all convoluted when compares to the recent Konami Classic releases. Whoever is managing this project is a complete clown.

12. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Yeah, for real. Like, you look at TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection, and that's a stellar collection and well worth the price of admission. Which then you turn and look at Origins and man, it really was a fuckin mess. I said it before, but the digital upgrade should have been $5 like Mania Plus. I really don't see a lot of people forking over the $10 other than like the hardcore Sonic junkies.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I doubt it. The general gaming community has been conditioned to the point that Horse Armor DLC is no longer offensive, but welcomed.

14. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    Depending on how involved Stealth and co are, I'll likely pick up Plus after having skipped the original release.

In a perfect world, I'd have preferred that the Mania team was given full control of the project and was able to unify the mobile remakes under Mania's engine (instead of ports being launched from Sonic Team's 3D engine). But if they're able to fix most of the glaring issues, such as the lack of menu options and save slots, I'll be satisfied. Still not a fan of the coins however.

15. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Neither were made though. They had to he developed after production and so have to be budgeted. I don't think $10 is unreasonable at all. These are complex additions which take time and money to make.

You can criticise the cost of the original Origins which was clearly way too expensive while also appreciating the price of the DLC.

16. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I agree that the problem was the original price moreson than the DLC's price.

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    The price of the original was not absurd. It wasn't just a standard rom collection like Cowabunga. One of those titles needed to be built from the ground up.

18. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The original, base price was twice the price of Mania, a new 2D Sonic game, and the same price as a new 3D Sonic game (before Frontiers). The deluxe edition, which was mostly cosmetics and a handful of new content, was $10 extra.

It was a little much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Kega Fusion has had this feature since time immemorial:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The problem is that... well you can see the problem. Every single Game Gear game would need adjusting, so that garbage isn't rendered in what would normally be off-screen.

This is why that Triple Trouble Master System conversion was viable - it's already coping reasonably well, but needed some cleaning up.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    3 was an entire game worth of development.
    1, 2 and CD needed to be ported for the new platforms that have come out since their initial release. That's 4 games versus 1.
    You don't have to hire a team of artist for assets (for the games themselves) but that suddenly doesn't make implementation is free either.
    I've stated before, their asking price is fine. It's the release strategy and the rush release of last year that is the bigger issue. We shouldn't have gotten Origins last year at all. This year with all the new content and bug fixes for $49.99 and no dumb ass pre-order bonus would have been more than fine.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List