don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    The larger screen size, larger (and not quite as ugly) Sonic sprite, larger boss arenas and larger jump height are all advantages of the SMS version, but I'd argue the GG version is superior in every way aside from the aforementioned. GG has refined level layouts, better colors, stereo sound, animated flowers in Green Hill, colorful fruit in Jungle's background, etc.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

True, though I can understand WHY that would be a problem, because they have to make sprites for Amy that spread across FOUR games (FIVE technically) and at least three different styles. I feel like this way they've tried to pull a Tails and Knuckles by trying to make her style more homogenised with all three groups without looking too out of place.

It's the one reason I can think of that they didn't use the CD sprites as a base, which would have been a bit of a time saver (I would know :P).

It would be neat at least if they had the same screen expand option that some emulators have.

Even more so given the leftover black screen.

[​IMG]

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I'm not familiar with this, what did they do to screw it up?

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Yeah, all of the games are still on the Mega Drive (plus Mega CD), so all three fall under the limitations of the palette and such, which is really my only issue. But the sprite itself is fine, it covers the bases well.

Robotnik didn't know where the Master Emerald was in the original manual plot, which is why he's digging around for it and spends time constructing giant thrusters to get the Death Egg off Angel Island, since he's aware he might have to make a getaway soon.

In Sonic Origins, Robotnik knows where it is from the start... but then kind of ignores it for the vast majority of the game and, for some reason, decides it's better to build aforementioned giant thrusters instead of collecting the giant miracle gem that can do the job without said thrusters.

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The enhanced background detail like those fruits is nice but I remain steadfast in my conviction that Labyrinth in S1GG has a monstrously worse placement for its chaos emerald.

For just about any other 8-bit game I'd agree, though.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    So I see Sega Japan has put up what their reversible sleeve looks like...

SoA? You do remember you're in charge of the PR for Europe now, don't you? It's been over a day, can you show the European sleeve now, please?

7. MH MD

MH MD

Think it just refer to the DLC challenges modes for the original Origins release, now it’s just included in Plus

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think Amy's sprite is a really nice shade of pink. Bright and colourful. I think the pink of her Sonic CD sprite is too dark. I think the new sprite takes inspiration from her new design in a really nice way. While still retaining the old aesthetic.

This is a very silly nitpick comment. But I want to show that nitpicking can also be positive.

I've had a lot of rum. Lol.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I've found why the rum's gone!

10. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    For me it's not even something I care about on like, a cerebral level. I just notice something is off and it bugs me, I think talking about the color limit and such is just a way of explaining WHY it probably looks off to many people.

11. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    They missed a perfectly good opportunity to make the screen border the design of the Game Gear console, kinda like how Kega Fusion has such a border.

[​IMG]

Even if they didn't do that, they could've zoomed the screen in all the way and move the designed borders inward to eliminate the black borders. As it is, it looks awful. They didn't bother to scale the pixel aspect ratio to 8:7, resulting in everything looking far too narrow.

Good god, SEGA just can't stop fucking up or start caring about minimal quality standards. Oh well, if they want to lose out on potential sales, that's their problem.

12. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Well, I'm actually intrigued. Sure the Game Gear games being yet another pile of emulation might be meh for those on PC and XBox, but for people using the Switch it is a nice thing to have access to those games without homebrew, considering that I don't think Sega and Nintendo will be releasing a Master System/Game Gear library for My Nintendo like they did with the Genesis. Also, Amy's implementation looks different than what we are all used to (which is, Advance 1's Amy, which was used in E-123 Psi's hacks as well as Sonic Worlds Delta), but I think it's because they tried to keep with the single-button gameplay style of the rest of the characters. It's something I'd like to have some hands-on experience with to judge rather than some gameplay clips.
    (That being said, I've discussed this with the Worlds Next team, and we're most likely going to have Origins Plus' Amy as our default implementation, with the Advance 1 implementation as an alternative character, similar to how Shadow is Modern Sonic in Delta. Maybe Honey?)

13. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Fun fact: the working title for Sonic Origins + was "Sonic Fuck It That'll Do"

The addition of Amy is cool I guess, but those Game Gear roms aren't worth a pitcher of piss.

14. RDNexus

RDNexus

I don't think so. It's not that they aren't worth a penny, SEGA just did a lousy job at that ^^"
    With emulators capable of running ALL classic Sonic games, they got no excuse to keep them out of their so-called "Definitive Collection".

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
  16. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Wait a minute, if you play as Amy in Sonic CD, who does Metal Sonic kidnap? Or does that cutscene not appear at all?

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Pay 10 dollars to find out.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I see what you did there ;)

I think the upgrades to this game look pretty good. I’m hoping they resolve the poor quality of some of the replacement tracks, and make minor tweaks to places where glitches can occur.

It would also be cool if we got emulated versions of the Mega Drive games, but that’s not going to happen.

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Either some Knuckles & Knuckles type tomfoolery, or the genders are just switcherooed and you have to save Sonic.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Pretty sure Amy is just gone in the official Tails mode, and there's no ending cutscene either. Same idea, most likely. The idea would be that Amy went to little planet and just beat Metal Sonic herself without ever being kidnapped.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023