don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    See, the fact it's a work around for something that should be a simple toggle in the options menu is rather ire inducing...

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

I reckon you can get a better looking skirt by using the colours that are already there. In fact, I killed a colour and got it down to 24 (which is still too many, but ehh).

Imagine how this might look if an actual artist spent more than five minutes on it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Sure, but I don't especially care about those things, and in any case they're minor compared to Tails not respawning, the drop dash not working properly, the music being awful, and being able to skip four zones entirely.

Absolutely. It doesn't even make sense to include these as cheats because they're all on by default - make them standard options.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Honestly, the Amy sprite does not look optimised. They did some really cool optimisations to make the sprite's colours only match the palette available.

[​IMG]

I've done a rough of that Amy sprite. For some bizarre reason, they have greys and blues when they can just quietly use light blues in place of the greys.

Similarly, they can fuse the oranges and reds together into one, so the darker oranges cover the reds.

Finally, the peach of her muzzle can be made slightly pinker, so it can also sub in for the light pink where the light is reflecting off her. It can also be used on her hammer for the reflective sheen.

It's all about how the colours interact with one another, really. If you surround a colour with another, it can make you perceive that colour as another shade around it.

And for some reason, they didn't do that...

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Man I would not want to go down that rabbit hole again where we just take over the thread with tiny edits of what's possibly a WIP sprite anyways. I'm sure they'll do another pass and touch it up. They fixed Knuckles' weird rotating wrist from the initial Mania trailers.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Eh, the WIP sprite doesn't follow Mega Drive rules and looks out of place... They have an entirely unnecessary dark pink in there (that I've removed in my edit), for instance.

I'm otherwise deliberately not mentioning a couple of small ires I've got, for the reason you've noted that it is likely a WIP sprite anyway. For instance, Amy's eyes are looking up when I feel they're better suited looking at the point of impact, her hammer's handle is red instead of orange, and other little niggles...

A comparison:
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: added a little more depth to the blue on Amy's shoes.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Yeah, now you're just going down the rabbit hole.
    [​IMG]

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I don't think the amy sprite is awful or anything but I had a feeling it felt out of place and now I see why, not correct colour limits and breaking the rule of the megadrive colour palette.

We should all remember that sega only put minimal effort into these things even when sonic is their icon, don't expect more than a base level effort. (this doesn't include taxman and stealth's teams, they get cut short because of sega pulling the strings)

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I actually think this kind of nitpicking is a lot less helpful precisely because it's likely you're just critiquing the effort of another contracted fan rather than SEGA internally.

That's not to say they're not above criticism, but anybody who spends time in the mod scene realizes this is going to be an incredibly subjective area. There's a ton of variation when it comes to what people view as the correct approach to character/visual design.

I try to emphasize most of my nitpicks for gameplay reasons since that tends to have a much bigger impact on the experience than subjective views about a few on screen pixels very few players can discernably see. Dying because of a glitch is frustrating. And the music issues we've all had are closer to objective too. A shade of red in a shadowed spot on the hammer is genuinely subjective.

So, while I'm not going to say "don't talk about this", I will politely ask people to again be somewhat reasonable. We all know how obsessive this fanbase can be on specific details, but let's not cross our criticisms into that kind of borderline toxic territory, please.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not Genesis pure colors isn’t a big deal for me but I get how it could be for some.

11. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I like the new Amy sprites. They're cute!

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I do disagree with people saying "imagine a real artist doing this" and "this is minimal effort". At the same time, I stand by my observations regarding Amy's sprite, how it's breaking the Mega Drive's limitations and causing her to stand out, when it could optimised better to bring it down to that limitation and reflect the games she's being placed in.

If they didn't care and just made a detailed sprite, they should just go full (hedge)hog: don't use dithering, just use the Retro Engine's transparency to do the hammer trail, that sort of thing.

The sprite itself is otherwise fine, bar those small things like the hammer handle and where her eyes are focused, but the colouring just seems strange to me.

13. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Questionable rhetoric aside, I personally do find it interesting to see people's attempts to clean up Amy's sprite and bring it closer to Genesis standards. Though I can see how enough pages of that would get old for some folks. :V

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya it’s disrespectful to say the Amy sprites weren’t done by a real artist. I also hate those people who make mods that are like “better or improved sprites” when they’re usually worse than the original sprites

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think sometimes people care too much about stupid things

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I laid down my reasoning and I think that's more than enough. It's when we start delving into making our "ideal' edits when we don't know the context of their work, how the pieces fit together that just shouting into a void. The eyes looking down hammer example is just ignorant as it's very clearly made of multiple sprites mixed together to allow for dynamic actions (running while swinging).
    I've said my piece. I'm gonna move on to complaining about S2 drum samples.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Even this doesn't bother me, as there is an audience for different details and that's more than fine. Again, in an optional mod I can either like it or ignore it. The key is to not be a dick about it, and BlackHole here is skirting that line just a tad.

I'm not a mod here though, so I'll try to mostly leave it at that. You want to see how wild this is getting? Go look at all the requests for "Super Amy" on twitter.

18. Pengi

Pengi

It should be purple/pink.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    In what way? I'm pointing out ways to bring the colours down to the Mega Drive's limit and find some choices bizarre, like having greys and light blues where the two can be merged.

Meanwhile, others are saying "wow, imagine a real artist doing this" and "man, this is just minimum effort", which I am against as noted prior, but I'm the one skirting the line on being a dick? When I'm just pointing out things that could be done to bring it in-line with the games, and expressing confusion on why certain things were and weren't done?

With how often I'm getting accused of it on here, I'm tempted to actually start being a dick.

You are correct, I've just double checked since I recalled the handle being orange but that's Modern Amy, and the Piko Piko Hammer's handle of Sonic the Fighters is purple. Thank you kindly.

Quick edit to do so:
    [​IMG]

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I'm more than certain he was referring to himself and his attempt in this instance and not whoever did the original sprites.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List