don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Also pretty weird they didn't make it too apparent in the trailer that Knuckles in SCD was even a thing? He's just with Amy and Tails representing the other two selling points of the DLC at the end. Maybe they didn't want to boast that he's only now playable?
    What do they mean SOME?

Also, according to the Japanese website and hopefully not buggered Google Translate, Knuckles will have a new route dedicated to him in Sonic CD. This is pretty surprising, Retro Engine S1/S2 of course added in new level design to account for the abilities of Tails and Knuckles not present in the original games (or at least, when not locked-on), but the very first remaster of SCD I don't think altered any levels for the new addition of Tails, either because he sorta broke the level design or it was another element of the remasters that would only come later with S1/S2 (like, well, being able to play as Knuckles). Iizuka even acknowledged this making of new level design in an interview for Origins and claimed S3&K didn't get any because that game was of course already designed with Tails and Knuckles in mind. But that they're going the extra mile to add it for Knuckles in SCD is quite a nice detail and suggests there's a little bit more care under the hood here than just the main selling points, as specifications are apparently being improved (even if the HUD placement is still inconsistent between games and the blur is apparently still there).

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  2. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Has this been done yet?

[​IMG]

Things I've noticed:
    She has more than 15 colors
    The palette isn't accurate to Genesis colors
    I believe the actual in-game palette will use RGB values in factors of 12 (000, 012, 024, 036, etc)
    The pinks in her palette are darker in S3K
    Her hammer and skirt don't share a palette
    Her jumpball's dimensions are odd compared to every other classic character's even dimensions. Her's is 25x25 while Mighty's is 26x26, Tails' is 28x28, Sonic's is 30x30, & Vector's is 40x40

I didn't bother trying to make an exact palette or index the sprites so the sprite's colors are inconsistent.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Wildcat

Wildcat

I’m one of the people that thinks Spinball, 3D Blast and Chaotix should have been included. Maybe when they finally release SegaSonic it’ll be it’s own SPINoff Collection. That’d be a great title (I don’t consider 3D Blast a spinoff, I know there was a topic discussing it before but still fits).

Anyway Amy and the art book and being physical feels like it’s worth the money imo. I have also always wanted to play Sonic Blast and Labyrinth. I don’t care how bad they might be or Chaotix. Haha. The novelty of having these rare games is enough for me to play them.

If some are upset this wasn’t the way it was released they should have just waited.

4. netscapenow

netscapenow

As a huge fan of the 8-bit games, I'm not too bothered about the price point. SMS versions not being available is massively annoying though, I'm sick of the more unfair version only being available tarnishing the massively underrated Sonic 2's reputation! :V

I kinda understood this in Mega/Gems collection where some games having duplicates would look funny in the menus, but since here they're just buried in the museum anyway would it be that jarring to just have little [GG Ver.] and [SMS Ver.] copies of some games?

5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    There is no way Stealth/Headcanon isn't involved if Knuckles has a new SCD Route, given that he was the one responsible for the new routes in S1/S2. (which were one of the best forgotten secrets about those ports, especially some of the super hidden Sonic 2 ones).

Plus contrary to what people think, Iizuka and Stealth seem to have a positive working relationship, with the latter often praising the former. If Iizuka is praising these new additions, that also hints to me at Stealth's involvement.

I cannot see any realistic scenario where Sega can handle that themselves. And that confirmed news of new bugfixes also points towards Headcanon being involved with all titles too.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. RikohZX

RikohZX

Like how Mighty and Ray were clearly a little more elaborate and stylized in certain ways compared to the base game of Mania, Amy is definitely by new artists creating a new series of assets with a new art style trying to replicate the original, albeit not quite accurate. I'm wondering if they got external help or did it in-house?

7. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

It's nice but meh. I still have SADX on gamecube for the GG games, not jazzed about playable Amy, I want SegaSonic arcade. Maybe I'll get it if I can spare the cash at that point.

8. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Did anyone else notice that one of Amy's sprites was incorrectly flipped in her corkscrew animation during that AIZ segment of the trailer? They'd better fix that!

[​IMG]

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I made an analysis a few post back but didn't recreate the sprites. Did you recreate those or is there a better source out there to rip them?
    Like I mentioned previously, the higher color count and inaccurate colors are fine. They're not shackled by the Genesis limits so they shouldn't try to force themselves if they have the freedom. Still, with all this freedom the sprites are certainly lacking in quality. E-122 managed to accomplish more with far less.
    My Jakks 2.5 figure is now accurate to in-game material.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Drex

Drex

I just ripped them from the screenshots on the front page
    Cropped, counted pixels to get the sprite's height, resized the image accordingly, and cleaned the background.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

After all that, I later found that resizing the pics 426x240 is just about perfect. If I had a higher-quality video than what's on YouTube I believe I'd be able to rip sprites from it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Shoes really do be having an extra color on them...
    These color choices are just baffling.

12. Drex

Drex

I'm hoping the colors get normalized by the time the game is released.

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

Not that baffling. The only game of the bunch Amy's in by default is a handful of sprites in CD where she's not meant to be seen for any length of time and has a straightforward palette of pink shoes- but later art gave her blue shoes, as does Origins. So she's basically cheating the color palettes to get that in accurately rather than sticking to CD's palette or the like.

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    This wouldn't work at all. Sonic Rush is an entirely different game with the boost meter, and getting into the special stages about having good meter management by the time you find the entrances, as opposed to Time Travel in Sonic CD being about building up and then maintaing speed after you trigger a sign post. There's no way they can replicate what Rush does within the classic games without pretty much letting you time travel for free, which just isn't the way the game was designed.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I don't think you understand why I found it baffling. I already mentioned already that I don't care about going over the limit or color accuracy. That doesn't matter. Having 3 shades of blue on the shoes with barely any contrast between them makes it a weird choice. The shirt has 3 colors as well when you can get away with 2. It's not that big of a stand out feature that you need 3. But the skirt? That thing takes a good chunk of her body, but it only gets 2 colors? I mean, 2 colors is fine, E-122 made it work, but if you have the freedom to add one more to help give you some extra detail into it, why are you stopping at one of the biggest feature of the design?
    This is just nit picky details at the end of the day so who actually cares. But I got nothing else to talk about, this is all I know, and I like watching my post count number go up by 1.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think I'd have liked Chaotix as well, but the only options available are mediocre emulation (I struggle to call any 32X emulation good, just varying degrees of clever in how they sacrifice accuracy, but Fusion has never broken on me) or rebuilding from the bottom, and if you're going to do the latter then it doesn't make sense to put in the work without trying to give the game more depth and cut through some of the jank, and if you're going to do that you're not going to break even selling it bundled with additional features at $10.

Still unsure how I feel about the GG collection, partly because I would have liked them to run at the SMS resolution, but also because I think S1 SMS is just the better overall game between the two releases, though for 2 and Chaos I feel like that's less clear-cut.

17. I am among those really annoyed by 8-bit games only being included as Game Gear versions, while Master System versions are so much better (or, in case of Sonic 2 8-bit, playable at all).

And yes, still waiting for Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic Pocket Adventure to resurface in any way, shape, or form.

18. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I can excuse Pocket Adventure since it's so tied up in rights issues SEGA isn't even allowed to publicly acknowledge it.

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Eh, I also think Sonic's Super-Peelout should be used to allow instant-Time Travel, so time travelling for free wouldn't bother me.

20. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    C1D27B58-7465-4AB4-8FE5-2910D2B42FA9.jpeg

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could mean?

I mean new challenges would probably refer to new missions in Mission Mode, but going by SEGA’s strange way of advertising, what other new modes could this be referring to?

I mean I can think of maybe 1-2 of them but that’s depending on if Headcannon are involved