don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Ugh, I totally forgot about the poor menus in S1, 2, CD. Lack of save modes. I could pray they get fixed, but that's something I'm not super optimistic about as it seems to more be a deliberate choice.

Here's hoping we confirm who is involved in development instead of waiting with 3 months of speculation. Those Sprites for Amy do not look like anything SEGA has recently produced themselves, so there has to be some level of community involvement in the dev team. I find it very hard to believe they would have nothing to do with this (Knuckles in Sonic CD alone is going to take a ton of work, just based on playing the modded version had to be developed and bug tested).

Unfortunately, the Decomp scene is also a mess right now due to new releases messing up those scripts and mods anyway, so the community is going to have to reorganize all over again. Keeping track of AIR/Team Forever/Restored has been a bit much, and the latter just got broken in the newest decompile anyway (at the expense of a decompiled Origin SCD that... might already be out of date.)

2. Snowbound

Snowbound

Oh my god you’re right: the Fighters port is in widescreen. They could’ve included it as a main game with new Hesse animations! I wouldn’t want them to replace the in game intro cutscene but if they handled it like how they handled CD by just adding another intro… UGHHH THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT.

I was completely unaware that CD received a second decomp. I never even downloaded the first one. Will be interesting to see what happens as it looked like the CD decomp had some cool mods
    I don’t want to give sega any ideas… but a battle dlc would be a good opportunity to add co-op modes AND Fighters. That said Fighters really should be in this collection so I’d be pissed having to fork over more money for this
    I’m personally happy with Amy having a more traditional Sonic moveset…. That said I’m glad you pointed out that the survey raised the possibility of additional animations and co-op modes. I understand that survey was not meant to be public, however I do wish we also got those additions.

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I hope they at least add back the post-game level menus for 1 and 2 that were in the mobile versions. I can take one save file per character so long as its replayable.

Anyone else excited about the possibility of official Super Amy at last? (Oh a Micro Amy in CD XD)

4. Fadaway

Fadaway

I've never played Origins so forgive me if this is common knowledge but isn't there an option to play the original versions of games as well and how accurate are they? I love the new bells and whistles and being able to play Retro Engine versions of games but I also appreciate 100% authenticity (when legally possible *cough* Sonic 3 *cough*).

I seem to remember some complaints about the original release of Origins not having true authentic OG versions of the games but I could be mistaken. Someone elucidate me. If that is the scenario, I hope that gets corrected.

5. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The Classic method of playing is the Retro Engine ports in 4:3 with a lives system. There is no real official way to play the ORIGINAL GAMES as originally intended at this time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Fadaway

Fadaway

That is a bummer.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I'm still kicking myself after all these years for not taking some time off work to slide Taxman some Knuckles sprites for CD iOS but I cope with the fact that he probably wouldn't have had time implementing it.
    But STILL

8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead/status/1638946085174665216

Whitehead is not happy that they aren't using better RDSK image scaling.

I look forward to 3 full months of us bashing each other over the head about what her super (and hyper!?) palette will be.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Snowbound

Snowbound

The fact that Whitehead is public about this does not bode well. If Headcanon and co hasn’t been hired back then I’m not buying this.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Exactly what I wanted from day 1. Quadruple dip on physical coming.

I assume Europe IS getting a physical (without Genesis branding)? There's only been Yank trailers so far.

11. Vertette

Vertette

If Sonic Team can't even properly implement the Drop Dash into 1&2&CD*, then I doubt they know how to implement Knuckles into CD or Amy into multiple versions of the Retro Engine, with all the design, graphics and programming issues that such features would involve.

* As in, having it work like in Mania and having it be bug-free

12. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I will admit the sprites look a bit, bizarre. Overall though I’m already content with origins and I’d gladly pay 10 bucks for all 12 of the game gear games without amy, so I’m pretty happy. It does feel a bit odd that I paid 40 already and they want 10 more when any newcomers only pay 40, so what I pay for the privilege of an inferior product now? Is that the future sega wants? Anyways, looking forward to it.

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Whitehead was not involved with Origins from the start (for whatever reason), so his comments should be taken as just that, the criticism of someone not directly involved at all. Hopefully him saying something puts a bit more pressure on SEGA to do better, but that's sadly a stretch.

However, I also would not read too much into it as Stealth remains dead silent on everything, and the implementation of Amy looks too complex for SEGA to be doing alone.

I'm stepping away from this thread for the rest of the day. Good luck guys. Please be kind to each other as we deal with yet more raised (and crushed) expectations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. I really hope there's a meaty patch involved that fixes a ton of stuff, ideally by Headcannon. I could see not wanting to advertise "Plus we fixed our shit!" in the trailer.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I just noticed the cute art on the reversible cover.

[​IMG]

Really like how each of them are holding a different piece of tech that represents them in some way.
    If only Mighty and Ray were in there playing on an arcade...

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    What I saw before: "Sega, just give us playable Amy and put Knuckles in CD! It's all we want!"

What I see now: "Knuckles in CD and playable Amy in all games!? WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? GAME GEAR GAMES!? EWW. WHY CAN'T YOU DO ANYTHING RIGHT, SEGA!?"

I expected nothing but Amy and Knuckles in CD. I did want Chaotix but I was never gonna think they would put it in there anyway.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 6
    • List
  17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Lost opportunity to have Knuckles holding a 32X. :P

The 'New Challenges and Modes' part intrigues me. Wonder if there's more here than is let on.

I have a feeling we might at least get a few more Missions. If we even just get 3-4 player in Sonic 2 like we did in Mania I'll be super excited.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Amy should also have been holding a Mega CD.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    game.co.uk has shots up with an EU box, but I'm not seeing anything else European related. I hate how they merged the Sega Europe branding under SoA, for social media we're being treated more how Nintendo used to in the 90s now :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Fadaway

Fadaway

I'm overall happy that we're getting this at all. This is the first time ever we'll be able to play as Amy in a classic Sonic game officially. That's got to count for something.