don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Mania is available on PS5 as a PS4 title and on Xbox Series as an Xbox One title, it runs natively on the newer systems. There's no need of making a PS5-exclusive or Xbox Series exclusive version. The game runs without any performance issues on the base machines, after all it's a 2D title.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    A Sonic Central makes the most sense for how to reveal it.. It just better be earlier than late May-early June because that’s when the previous two took place

but if it hopefully means more time and Polish to the collection then I’m all for it.. looks like they’re really going to aim for Sonic’s 32nd anniversary to release it :ruby:

3. DaveDave

DaveDave

You guys are way too optimistic.

4. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Glad I downloaded the Master System ROMs of 1, 2 and Chaos from the Wii Virtual Console before the service was shut off. Wild that that's the only time those versions have been rereleased.

5. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I initially read this as "Mania Origins Plus". :V

I look forward to it. I don't really know what to expect to be honest. If they do nothing more than bug fixes, I'll be satisfied. Anything beyond that is a bonus. Granted, I haven't even tried Origins, but as with most things Sonic, I do the Yugi Naka thing and watch from a distance.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    That's the updated release later on.

[​IMG]

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    … imagine if the dlc was Mania but with Amy instead of Mighty and Ray

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Not that I expect any of the 8-bit titles to show up at all but I'd personally want a treatment similar to M2's enhanced genesis emulators, where we get the enhanced features of the GG releases (more colors, stereo sound, sometimes tighter level layouts etc.) but in the higher resolution of the SMS so that the games are more legible.

I feel like it wouldn't be terribly hard to convince M2 to work on this, but at the same time I can't imagine too many other people would actually care about the end product given the way that the AGES project worked out for more celebrated titles

9. Such a disappointment with those releases ending... even if some games weren't ideal picks, I appreciated each title and the extras were nice. Sega really needs to figure out a viable long-term strategy for rereleasing old software so we don't have to restart every 5 years.

As for the current discussion - I'm super put off by bad scaling of retro games (I can't get past the shimmering) so I wanted to check out the resolution of the GG and MS. It looks like GG games would scale perfectly onto the 720p res of the Switch in docked mode. Between that, the fact that the GG versions are the only ones with official JP releases, Sonic Team's past inclusion of the GG versions as representatives of the 8-bit games, and the lack of a Triple Trouble MS port, I would be genuinely surprised if they included the MS games over the GG ones. It's either going to be just GG or GG and MS when available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Disney game collection had all officially released versions of the games that were ever made. They could do that here. MS and GG releases wouldn't be so hard.

11. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    8-bit Sega versions were the few that weren't included in the Disney Collection, actually. :(

12. MathUser

MathUser

Castlevania Anniversary collection also had multiple versions of the games from many regions.

13. Vertette

Vertette

Even NSO allows you select games from multiple regions lol, at least in Europe.

I don't think there's enough interest in the 8-bit titles to get Sega to care, though. There's some good games in there for sure but it wouldn't be a huge selling point like "classic Amy is now playable" or "we added new game modes" and that's definitely important.

14. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    8 Bit games would be a HUGE selling point.... in Europe. Back in the day, most of us European kids had Master System, instead of Mega Drive or even Game Gear, since it was pretty cheap. I've seen a lot of people outside of the Sonic community who were highly dissapointed when Origins did not get the 8 bits games ( at least, Sonic 1, 2 and Chaos Master System versions). I'm pretty sure including them will be a huge selling point here.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I like how this went from "Collection of Retro Engine games" to "We just want ROM Dumps".

16. MathUser

MathUser

I would like a remake. The extra screen space would make it alot easier to see your way around.

17. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    What's great about the Retro Engine is it can be patched very easily, allowing for new content to be added. Much easier to add new characters and modes.

Adding 8 Bit games most people will not play for more than 10 minutes is a massive mistake in my idea.

18. I think Brazil would LOVE to have 8-Bit games... or at least Sonic 1 and 2, lol.

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Anyone who's not a Sonic fan does not care if added games are remasters or not.

Adding bonus games like that is an easy way to sell the DLC, so I think at least something will be added. Think about it: which sounds more appealing to purchase, new characters, or entirely new games?

20. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Regular people don't care about retro engine, only hardcore Sonic fans do ( and not everybody, I noticed there is a much bigger following and positive attitude towards retro engine here than on other Sonic communities, even if they know what it is and the advantages they have over the regular versions). I understand that origins is a retro engine remasters collection, but it is not how it was marketed, it was marketed as the "ultimate classic sonic collection" and.. well, there is still a lot to add to be even near to that affirmation. 8 bits games would be one of the biggest absences there. I would love to see more retro engine remasters but if I have to choose between more content to already done retro engines games, and adding the 8 bits games, I would prefeer the 8 bits games. They are not re-released very commonly ( the master system ones only on Wii!), many people would be interested in them here in Europe and Brazil so highest sales for SEGA ( more than adding Amy or whatever, who will only cater to hardcore sonic fans,and much less adding Mania, who is a game readily available and even if is a well known and loved game, it is not a game changing godsend like many seem to think, not everybody will buy it because it includes Mania) plus it would help to place them on the new timeline for lore and make them more accessible for new sonic fans.
    I would prefeer them adding Chaotix or other obscure games like Sega Sonic Arcade too, better than that. Even if they are just roms.
    The ideal would be they add ALL, but we know we cant expect that.