don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Gems Collection sort of did that, likely for practicality purposes.

CD, R, and Fighters were all ports, but the rest of the collection was emulated. Likely because the platforms those three games were on weren't very easy to emulate at the time, let alone on the Gamecube and PS2.

Would Sonic Adventure DX also kinda count, since the main game itself was a port but with the Game Gear games emulated as a bonus.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1. SNES games are emulation. X4 is a port I believe. Both Collections also had a bonus mode where you fight 2 bosses across every game at the same time.

Not nearly the same but worth mentioning, Disney Classic Collection contained the original retail release of Aladdin, the prototype showed off at CES, and a brand new Director's Cut version exclusive to the collection. I'm not entirely sure how that was produced however.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Don't know if they're remakes or ROMs in an emulator, but I'd assume the latter. If they're ROMs I really hope they use the Master System versions because wow I do not like playing Game Gear games

4. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I would argue that the ideal 8-bit Sonic games would be a hybrid of SMS and GG. The screen size and boss arenas of SMS, but the colors and general enhancements only found in the GG games. Not quite authentic to either experience, but a "best of both worlds" would be nice.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  5. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Indeed. If ever remakes of the SMS/GG titles were developed, it'd be nice to have a mix of both. Would be good to play Triple Trouble with the expanded viewing area of an SMS game, too!

In that circumstance I'd imagine we'd get the GG soundtrack for all of them, though, mainly due to Sonic Chaos' Gigalopolis Zone using a plagiarised track on SMS...! Not that I'd mind though - the GG versions of the other Sonic Chaos all mostly refine and improve upon the SMS versions anyway. The biggest loss in that circumstance IMO would be for Sonic 2, as I still think the SMS boss theme has better energy than the GG version. I'd hope the developers of any hypothetical mix of the two would try to sneak both boss themes in somehow - maybe use one for the regular bosses, and the other for Mecha Sonic and the final boss?

I'd also wonder what they'd do about the stage layouts for each game, and the sprites for Sonic 1 - for that first game in particular, some of the layouts changed pretty drastically in the GG version - Labyrinth in particular springs instantly to mind. I'd probably stick with the SMS sprites for consistency with the sequels, as they're in the same scale as the subsequent games and match the ones used in Sonic 2. As for the layouts... tough choice. I'd probably stick with the SMS versions in most cases, as those were designed with the larger screen size in mind, though adjustments based on the GG version could be fun in some cases such as having the Bridge Zone boss take place on actual bridges.

6. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Honestly, I would have preferred a SMS level pack that reimagined the exclusive levels in 16bit style. I own SADX I've got them all on there, these should have been part of the game from the start tbh :/ I do wonder how they're gonna deal with the whole 8bit games are now cannon but take place post 3k pre mania thing. Retcon the manuals? idk the stuff with knuckles seems way too messy for it to make sense. I really wish they stuck to keeping them in their own separate continuity, gluing them onto the end of the classics just feels odd.

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    ...Sorry, I thought this was hypothetical. Have we actually had any confirmation that the 8-bit games are being added in some form, or is this a case of speculation being mistaken for fact?

8. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    The latter case, buddy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. I thought we’re just speculating and @The Joebro64 shared the picture to indicate what he wanted, but then he said that he did not want the GG versions so it’s a bit confusing.

Assuming we do get 8-bit games, I think the Game Gear ones are unfortunately the most likely because they were actually released in Japan as opposed to the MS versions. It also allows for some cohesion within the group in the instance that a MS version of a game doesn’t exist.

10. ELS

ELS

I hope Origins just makes classic mode the roms and adds screen size/lives as an option.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This basic level stuff is entirely what Origins should have been already. If they added it in now, Origins would be pretty definitive as far as reasonable expectations go.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  12. MH MD

MH MD

...Ah...i just realized joebro did previously tease/leak things about Origins, so he may have been actually teasing again this time, rather then his wishes

can't say i would be thrilled about them myself. but hey, the more the merrier, would actually be more than i expect of a "plus" version

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Yeah, it took me a second to catch on to this, but that seems logical now. I'd prefer Master System versions for the most part due to higher res, but oh well. Seems logical.

However, if they include the GG titles but not Chaotix/Spinball/3D Blast, that would be kind of odd given the soundtracks for those 3 are also included as DLC bonuses.

Here's hoping for more concrete info soon. At the end of the day, none of this is as important as them patching some of the remaining gameplay glitches.

14. Mr. Cornholio

Mr. Cornholio

I haven't paid too much attention to Origins since it's initial release, but if a 'Plus' does add emulated games, I really think Knuckles Chaotix should be included.

Not because it's a personal favorite of mine, but I'm kinda baffled why the game included Chaotix's entire soundtrack if the actual game isn't playable? Did they ever comment on that? It feels like something they wanted to initially include in the package, but had to leave out last minute.

I guess one could argue that Chaotix does have some relevancy with Door Into Summer being included in the gag 'Knuckles & Knuckles' ending from Mania and Generations, but the latter was quite a while ago.

15. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I also don't want more games because I feel it would be a waste of time. The 8 Bit games are largely unimpressive and uninteresting. Chaotix does warrant a proper release but the game is also terrible. Only has curiosity value.

I would much rather have something actually interesting like new characters.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't see why they can't do both. It's not like the HC team is suddenly going to be in the emulator business.

17. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Would be nice to play the 8-bit games on modern consoles. I'd like to play Triple Trouble one of the few I haven't tried (played the 16-bit fan-game but not the original, lol).

They need to add more than the 8-bit titles as I doubt these (mostly mediocre) games would encourage strong sale of the Plus release, whereas Knuckles Chaotix would carry more interest due to the soundtrack being in the vanila version and the many references in Mania.

I hope they've brought back Team Stealth to polish 3K. I want them to add that "& Knuckles mode" which was originally planned.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  18. More people needs to know Tails' Adventures exists and it's a nice game.

Also, I kinda wanted them to port the 3D islands render to Retro Engine. I feel bad for people who doesn't have a powerful PC and can't play this collection.

19. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I just want a cohesive menu system with proper saves for all games.

Honestly I haven't really checked out most of Sonic's 90s back catalogue of spinoffs. Maybe if they end up in Origins Plus I'll give a few more of them a shot.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    It amazes me that they clearly spent some level of effort in the main menu UI, and then went full power point presentation with the in-game UI for 1 and 2.
    [​IMG]
    This was just bad.