don't click here

Help Does anyone have the original HQ samples used in Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by adesyndicate, Feb 24, 2020.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Thanks, I really didn't know that :)

2. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Shamelessly necroposting because this sort of information is invaluable.

Just through dicking around, I found that one of the M1 snares (my totally legit™ sample pack labels it Snaredrum-01) seems to resemble Sonic 3's snare more than that other one ever could've. Unfortunately that's about all I have to offer in my findings.

3. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    The M1 has dozens of drum kits though. Would you happen to know which one it might've been sourced from? I have an M1, so I can see if you might be onto something.

4. Oh, please do necropost because I basically gave up my search in hopes others would continue it. (I may get back into it one day, but at this point, I have more pressing things to do.) I will update the sample pack and credit anyone who uncovers more samples!

5. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Standard kit. There's a snare that matches the snare used in SA1's speed shoes music as well. I think the bongo sample is also pulled from one of the drum kits? Although its use in Launch Base has it pitched way higher than how it's presented in the M1

The timbale sample is a perfect match (same sample is pitched up in Launch base before the bongos hit)

Irrelevant, but one of the kicks was used in Gradius III's arcade version, with another drum kit containing the snare used in the SNES version.

There's a patch called BD&SDCatlog1 that has a shit ton of samples amassed into about a 30 key space, and I managed to find the Megaman X snare as well.

TL;DR: the M1 is gonna be your best bet, with some other samples maybe coming from some Roland kits?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  6. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Necroing this again for the sake of knowledge, the main snare and I think a few other samples from the drum kit are found from the Korg X5. Snare is 26, the kick used in the S3 mini boss is 002, the timbale used in launch base (pitched up), as well as in the start of angel island act 1 and the proto carnival night act 2 is 089 (The sample pack I have just lists numbers)

On another note, I've found most of the Chaotix drum samples between the X5 and the Yamaha RX5.
    I haven't searched outside of this post, and maybe I already started a thread and just don't remember, but do we have any kind of ongoing sample/synth sourcing thread to document any of this? I'd really like to put my findings in writing for the community (and other nerds that are interested in this kind of shit)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
  8. Gaming Gardevoir

Gaming Gardevoir

I thought they were sampled from EastWest Dance/Industrial

9. Not sure if anyone else knows about this, but in the Immortal version of Dangerous there's a breath sound that's extremely like the one used in the Sonic 3 Alone credits music at 2:01, and I'm pretty sure it's the same sound.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Loop

Loop

Pure of Heart. Dumb of Ass. Member
    I am 99% sure the two breathing samples at that timestamp are the ones in the game, mixed with a kick and snare respectively.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Yeah, I thought so too I just wasn't 100% sure. I do wonder which song it originally came from, I want to say it's from Dangerous as the breathing that can be heard after is from the song but it could've been from In the Closet too.

12. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    The breath sound in that remix is from the original Dangerous mix. The one you hear in In The Closet is a different recording from MJ. I doubt either was sampled in Sonic 3, but since two of his tracks are straight up sampled in the game already, you can't rule it out entirely, I guess.