don't click here

404 Game Reset, shutting down January 2024

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sega have announced a new mobile game, and usually I'd struggle to care but:

404 GAME RE:SET ‐エラーゲームリセット‐
    (aka we like to give wikis a challenge)

Yoko Taro (of Nier fame) is working on an RPG where Sega has altered history and now has complete control over everything. You have to fight back, and you get help from... video games turned into anime girls and oh look I don't care anymore.

https://errorgamereset.sega.com/

Segagaga in reverse then, maybe. idk.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2023
  2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It'll be dead within a year, won't it?

3. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    The other Yoko Taro mobile game isn't dead yet, so it'll probably stay alive for a while.

4. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    With a dash of SeHa Girls as well, except games this time.

It'd be one thing if the designs were actually decent, but... as much as this is mostly pitched at people might not even know these games, I think there is such a thing as being too subtle, and surely Yugen of Atelier fame could've done better than this?
    [​IMG]
    I couldn't even tell what this one was supposed to be at first, until I spotted the Virtua Gun - and apparently I wasn't alone in this. Compare that to the SeHa Girls, where the average person even vaguely aware of Sega's consoles could confidently guess what most of them represent.

Also according to this Famitsu article with the producer, games by other companies are going to be implemented. Exactly which remains to be seen though.

5. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Games like this pop up in my YouTube feed every now and then. I've learned to not click on them because a) I'm not very good at Japanese and b) they're all the same. For example, there's this one called "Dolphin Wave", which at first glance looks like a racing game with jet skis and shooting. Turns out it's got a card-based battle system and that's about it. I fully expect this to be the same deal here, unfortunately. Or, who knows, it could be like Dx2 Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation, which was actually pretty decent, with a good localization and all.

6. Circlestar

Circlestar

SS Rank Tricks! Member
    The app store pages do feature some additional screenshots. Here's two with actual gameplay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Trippled

Trippled

8. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    404_1.jpg 404_2.jpg 404_3.jpg 404_4.jpg 404_5.jpg 404_6.jpg 404_7.jpg 404_8.jpg
    Say what you want, but they all look fantastic. Gust should take another crack at making an Atelier game with Lydie and Suelle.

9. GHNeko

GHNeko

sega stockholm syndrome Member
    Grabbed the game.

The remixes of the various songs from the games, like Outrun for example, are pretty good.

My japanese isn't that strong but the story so far is fairly campy and if you take it as such it's enjoyable in that regard. It does feel like a reverse Segagaga.

Game features some modern gacha QoL so that's nice so far. Feels like the game respects your time despite asking you to check in at least twice a day for max rewards.

The prices and pull rates are not fun though lol.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Take a picture of the title screen.

11. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Fighting Vipers here in the 10th year of Luigi:
    gBmlZA08.jpeg WuuA8SSy.jpeg [twitter] Poe_ili—2023.04.25—1650793560491556864—FujL_k5acAgiIrl.jpg

12. Those figures are 3D models, right? Do you know if they are new or from a previous game? They definitely don’t look like FV1, but I’m not familiar enough with FV2 or their other appearances (if they have any besides Megamix) to recognize the model.

If they are new, that will be the best part of this game in my opinion. Hopefully someone will be able to rip those models.

13. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    They are, and they appear to be 100% new.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Pour one out, boys. The fierce maw of the Mobile Game Delister gets another treat.

16. I saw a YouTube video Sega JP posted called “Legend of Kage X Shinobi” yesterday and got annoyed it was just something for this game lol. I didn’t expect it’d shut down the same day.

As annoying as it is that Sega pours resources into mobile games, I am conflicted on whether or not it’s a good thing that they fail. Sure, it means development funds spent on something the majority of us don’t care for, but a successful game in the Japanese market would be a big boon for the company financially.

I wouldn’t mind if they continued working with Yoko Taro and tried salvage some of the work for a more traditional game though. I don’t know the story of 404 but the concept seemed cool.