don't click here

The internet lies: cheat code edition

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Jul 9, 2022.

1. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

Nice! someone with the skill should try to see if this enables something in the game or if it is just an easter egg.

I think the linked page deserves a sweep. I remmember posting some codes for Truxton (level select) and Metal Head (anime faces) on SEGA 16 that at the time wasn't published anywhere else.

At the time I was trying to make a definitive and checked cheat code list for all Brazilian releases but never got around to sit down and try each one of them.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's looking like it's just a "thing you can do":

https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:Mdfan_JP_1991-09.pdf&page=128

It was discovered a within a couple of months after launch... but yeah, it just seems to be "you can make it display 777". Feels like it should be granting you continues (or at least something), but... it's activated on the continue screen... so you already have at least one.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    In light of today's news I thought I'd give the two Pelé games some wiki attention. And then discovered that because people didn't like the games, there's not much to say.

However I did find undocumented cheats for Pelé II:

Pelé II: World Tournament Soccer/Hidden content

https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:SegaVisions_US_20.pdf&page=106
    Curtosy of Sega Visions of all places. Play as teams that didn't qualify for the 1994 World Cup, including England! (and Scotland and Wales and France and Canada)

There's an ABRACADABRA cheat that doesn't seem do do anything though. Sega Visions says is maxes out the team stats... but I'm not sure that it does. However the UI in Pelé II is beyond awful* so I could be missing it.

There are no Sega games sponsored by Vivienne Westwood, sorry.

*as in, you need to go to the options screen, then press down to change teams. Videos on YouTube tend to have Argentina vs. Bolivia because without scanned manuals, you have to go hunting for the option.

4. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Whew, so here's a doozy.

Does the internet lie about cheat codes? Yeah, especially in the early days of the internet... But what if you could prove a cheat that seemed like it was a lie?

I have been reverse engineering Sonic the Fighters, and to that extent, Fighting Vipers, to better understand the underlying engine of both games. In documenting the character select screen, I saw some code that was intriguing to say the least.

Gamewinners.com has a cheat listed for Fighting Vipers from at least 2001:

15,000 plays? Was this a lie? Well, no, it actually wasn't. However, the cheat is slightly wrong, but gets many things right to be too much of a coincidence:

Screenshot_20230109_151455.png
    This is disassembled code from Fighting Vipers (Rev D). The code is almost exactly the same as the Gamewinners listing, but the cheat must be executed before the 18 second mark, not when the timer reaches 9. Also the 15,000 plays is actually 15,000 VS mode plays, p1 and p2 human fights, not single player mode.

What I want to know is how someone would someone have even known this specifically back in 2001?

EDIT: Forgot to state the cheat gives you playable Mahler, not B. Mahler.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Gamewinners always was a weird one, but the only place I actually went to for codes in the late 90s/early 2000s. They had the unlock all characters cheat in Mario Golf for the Nintendo 64 before anyone else on the internet did, for instance.

I was surprised when it worked way back when.

6. Bobblen

Bobblen

I guess it's just a way of making sure the machine has taken plenty of money before you let people cheat. It would have to be leaked though surely, no one is accidentally doing that on the character select screen!

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That's the sort of thing that probably came out of a Japanese magazine or interview or whatever. I'd be amazed if it had actually been tested.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Keeping with the Dreamcast theme:

https://segaretro.org/Sega_Retro:Todo/Sub-pages#Dreamcast.2C_GameFAQs

I scavenged GameFAQs for Dreamcast games that look like they might actually have cheats, as opposed to "finish the game and you get this".

There is one thing I hadn't factored in though: we have a copy of the Dreamcast software guidelines, and in addition to a whole section about the software reset (A+B+X+Y+Start, aka not a cheat), there is

https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:SegaDreamcastSoftwareCreationStandards_US.pdf&page=49

For those playing along at home, that's "clean pause", which has been listed among Dreamcast cheats since 1998.

X+Y+Z is somewhat common on the Sega Saturn to achieve the same effect, but we don't know how widespread and/or official it was for that system. On the Dreamcast though, I'm expecting it to be pretty common.

There's also mention of having screensavers kick in after 300 seconds. Darkening the screen is an option, but Sega allowed fancy things too. I don't know if that counts as hidden content - it's not something you'd usually see, but it's a requirement of the software, so you can kind-of guess it would be there.

p.s. I'm not downloading and running 3428970923849032 Dreamcast games to test this feature out.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. Bobblen

Bobblen

Yeah, I noticed when I was doing the Sega PC stuff that when I hit the Dreamcast ports, it was mostly 'unlockable content' rather than proper codes. Where's the fun in that? :-) If MK Gold is anything to go by, Midway were still cheat fans at this time, I'll check out Hydro Thunder and SF Rush after I've finished mucking around with Quake III's console.

10. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Are there cheat code sites in Japanese? Like founded/dedicated Japanese, not just translated?

11. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Pseudo-undocumented cheat time:

[​IMG]
    Holding A+X+Y before starting a new game in Shenmue's version of Space Harrier lets you play with inverted Y controls (or "up input to down").

It also works with Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1. This wasn't written down. Now it is.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    Spider-Man on the Dreamcast has a fun feature. If you input bad words as cheats, Spider-Man will turn up, punch them, and the word to turn into something friendlier. Apparently he doesn't like chickens.

It's a feature of the PlayStation version, but this is a Dreamcast - I expect my swear words to be 128 bits! There isn't a widely available list online but through the power of "pretending to work on a Friday afternoon" (and a hex editor), we can get some clues:

[​IMG]
    (HxD doesn't have proper high DPI support - deal with it)

I found a list of the replacement words, but the strings above look like garbage. Well, until I realised that "btt" looks a lot like "ass" with the letters uh... incremented? So I tested the theory:

Code (Text):
    1. sjnkpc     rimjob
    2. cmpxkpc    blowjob
    3. bstf       arse
    4. btt        ass
    5. gvdl       fuck
    6. cvhhfs     bugger
    7. xbol       wank
    8. uju        tit
    9. dvou       cunt
    10. tobudi     snatch
    11. qvttz      pussy
    12. tiju       shit
    13. qjtt       piss
    14. dvn        cum
    15. wbh        vag
    16. gfmudi     feltch
    17. tqvol      spunk
    18. kj{        jiz
    19. dpdl       cock
    20. gjtujoh    fisting
    21. ovutbd     nutsac
    22. bobm       anal
    23. ejmep      dildo
    24. cbtubse    bastard
    25. cvuu       butt
    26. qfojt      penis
    27. uxbu       twat
    28. cjudi      bitch
    guess Treyarch and/or Neversoft were trying to hide it.

The replacement words:
    Code (Text):
    1. flower
    2. happy
    3. pretty
    4. puppy
    5. bunny
    6. donut
    7. lolly
    8. love
    9. nice
    10. cake
    11. poppy
    12. fluffy
    13. cloud
    14. rainbow
    15. icecream
    16. sugar
    17. windmill
    18. iowa
    19. toffee
    20. taffy
    21. candy
    22. sodapop
    23. bubble
    24. cinnamon
    25. dinosaur
    26. balloon
    27. lobster
    28. honey
    29. potato
    30. spice
    While there are 28 bad words, there are 30 replacements (which are randomised). For the record, the game checks for substrings, so "fucking" will be censored too (and for long time followers: there's not enough room for "YoshiTennis")

As for real cheats, GameFAQs is missing a couple (although some are listed on the PlayStation page)

[​IMG]
    "Toon Spidey" (FUNKYTWN) isn't well documented.

RULUR is also meant to replace J. Jonah Jameson with Neversoft's J. James Jewett. This doesn't work in the Dreamcast version, but strings are still there. Perhaps someone can find him?

Code (Text):
    2. WEAKNESS    full health
    3. LEANEST     everything
    4. GLANDS      unlimited webbing
    5. EGOTRIP     pulsating head
    6. RULUR       J James Jewett
    7. SECRTWAR    symbiote spidey costume
    8. MIGUELOH    spidey 2099 costume
    9. TRISNTNL    Captain Universe Costume    
    10. SYNOPTIC    Spidey Unlimited Costume    
    11. XILRTRNS    Scarlet Spider Costume
    12. KICK ME     Amazing Bag Man Costume
    13. MRWATSON    Peter Parker Costume    
    14. SM LVIII    Quick Change Costume    
    15. ROBRTSON    Storyboard Viewer
    16. KIRBYFAN    Game Comic Covers
    17. MME WEB     Level Select
    18. FANBOY      Comic Collection    
    19. CINEMA      Movie Viewer    
    20. RGSGLLRY    Character Viewer    
    21. UATUSEES    What If Contest
    22. ADMNTIUM    invulnerable    
    23. CLUBNOIR    Ben Reilly Costume
    24. STICKMAN    Stick Spidey    
    25. FUNKYTWN    Toon Spidey        
    (for the record)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. Bobblen

Bobblen

Love it when passwords are plain text in the binary, good find!

15. Espyo

Espyo

Portugal, Porto, some street
    A Pikmin fan engine - Pikifen (https://pikminfanon.com/Pikifen)
    I remember back in the day finding a code on some random website for Micro Machines 2. It involved who knows what, but it promised to unlock a secret Smurfs track. When I was a kid I imagined it so hard it almost passes as a false memory. But I know it's not legit because it never worked. Also because when I tried to search again for it years later, I found no results at all.

16. Bobblen

Bobblen

We don't have any push button codes at all for Micro Machines 2 on the wiki, a surprising gap because I'm sure there's a few. I'll add it onto my TODO list to look at.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I don't recall it having any myself as someone who had that back in the day and a large cheats book, so I'll be interested in anything you might find!

18. Bobblen

Bobblen

@Overlord, I think you're right. MM1 has a bunch of 'pause the game' codes, and just to annoy me further, IGN incorrectly has those codes listed as MM2 codes.

The faqs mention a bunch of hidden power ups if you leave the track and go exploring on certain levels, although always in quite a vague way, that might be interesting to try and document systematically.

19. Bobblen

Bobblen

So the hidden bonuses are definitely real, on the first proper track with the drills, if you turn off the track on the 2nd lap just after you've avoided the drills and gone round the corner, there's a star you can run over to instantly warp to the next level. Curious if the manual mentions these at all.
    upload_2023-2-6_8-32-20.png

EDIT - the UK manual does have the single line 'look out for hidden power ups including extra lives', so not actually hidden content.

EDIT 2 - also this Youtuber has done a pretty thorough search Hidden powerups - Micro Machines 2 [Genesis] - YouTube

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh, yeah, THOSE exist. They only appear up to iirc about Level 10 on Challenge Mode, but that's about all I'm aware of. There's one above one of the rolls in the wallpaper track and in one of the joins off-track in the attic level, plus others.