don't click here

PlayStation 5 Lead Architect Mark Cerny Talks Sega, Michael Jackson And Yuji Naka - Time Extension

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Jan 29, 2023.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Time Extension just published a lengthy interview with Mark Cerny regarding his time at Sega. It’s an interesting read. Not sure if there’s anything that wasn’t known before, but still recommend giving it a read.

2. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    The anecdote about Captain EO influencing the creation of the SegaScope 3-D glasses was new to me - just another one to add to the list of ways in which Jackson was instrumental to numerous Sega works, both directly and indirectly.

As many have already pointed out, his claims about SOA completely rejecting Sonic at first in favour of trying to bring Will Vinton in to show off 'proper' mascot designs are further ammo for the 'they didn't know what they were doing' argument. They genuinely must've looked at the moderate success of Yo Noid and thought that was a good enough solution?

While they're relevant it was nice to see that TE interviewed Michael Katz recently too, giving him the correct credit for starting initiatives at Sega that Kalinske has been attributed for + has tried to take himself on numerous occasions.

3. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    While Mark Cerny has told the story about SOA rejecting Sonic before, namedropping Will Vinton is a detail that he purposefully avoided in previous interviews. A refresher from how he told the story back in 2006:

It makes you wonder what Sega of America's plan was, and how far they got in this "project" to "educate" Sega of Japan. Clearly, nothing came of it, otherwise we wouldn't be sitting here talking. But...man, what would a video game designed by Will Vinton even look like?

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

*facepalm*

Things like that are why I groan whenever people act like SoA's marketing team were such unquestionable geniuses and the sole reason the franchise was a success in the west.

5. Spot on.

6. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    You're welcome.

FnhJk7SagAA1HMD.png

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

Why does that sketch seem somewhat familiar to me?
    (Hint: Sonic Movie xD)