don't click here

Sonic CD's Mysterious Cut R2 Level Discussion - Post Origins Edition

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Sand is dust, but not every dust is sand.

2. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Running Up That Green Hill Member
    O.K., I've just recorded two videos (gonna upload them to YouTube and share tomorrow).
    IMG_1464.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    Tap the (i) button - you'll get more info and the checkmark:
    IMG_1466.JPG
    That's how this R2 / Dubious Depths conversation started:
    IMG_1467.JPG

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I believe Devon was replying to this post, rather than questioning the authenticity of the account.

Not really. Among other differences, sand grains are bigger than dust particles, and are formed from minerals (dust might or might not come from minerals).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
  4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This is a massive discovery. Thank you so much!

Just to list all the Zone names out and let it process:
    Palmtree Panic
    Dubious Depths
    Collision Chaos
    Tidal Tempest
    Quartz Quadrant
    Wacky Workbench
    Stardust Speedway
    Metallic Madness

Awesome.

5. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I watched The Mummy last night. Sand can most definitely be dust! Hollywood doesn't lie.

I'm willing to believe the name was Dubious Depths. Master Dreamcaster has posted some other things of noteworthy substance. So he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

6. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Like the name, fits well for what presumably would have been mostly an underground setting. So I'm thinking it would have been loosely based on Marble zone from Sonic 1 with ruins, lava, breaking platforms, rainbow waterfalls, lots of sand (maybe quick-sand with some Sandopolis vibes) with those worm & antilon badniks. The wind-turbine things (as shown off in the Little Planet concept art) to push Sonic upwards. Sounds like could have been a fun stage.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Something about the rainbow waterfalls makes me feel like it would've been a thing in the Good Future; it's a concept that seems a bit too pristine for a Present stage. Since Dubious Depths seems to be a Marble Zone expy (much like several other Sonic CD stages are Sonic 1 stand-ins), I could see them changing lava (or sand) in one time zone to water in another.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Or the Past, to show a peaceful time Robotnik is ruining.

9. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I think the angel statue could have been a better fit for DD:
    [​IMG]

10. Linkabel

Linkabel

I can also see sand replacing the Marble Zone lava with a quicksand feature. Or maybe even falling into areas where the sand can bury you and you have to escape like this segment.

[​IMG]

11. JayKuriN

JayKuriN

Kat Kitty Kat Kat Kitty Kat Kat Member
    Apologies for my improper formatting and potentially offtopic garbage, but I have a bunch of trivial information that might be relevant to timelining R2's removal, and since this place is active I figure it warrants a post.

I've been disassembling Sonic CD 0.02 and found that the system program has some leftover commands for playing CDDA tracks, appearing to actually match the final game's number of track playback commands. They point to a numbered list that goes up to 0x7 and then repeats 0x2 for another 14 entries.
    [​IMG]

This would account for R2's removal and the switch to using PCM past tracks. More interesting is the leftover level event index which has R2 pointing to R1's events at this point:
    [​IMG]

Make of this what you will. My impression is that the zone was removed by this point, but it's possible it just wasn't implemented yet, although, unlikely. R3 and R4 were seemingly implemented, but removed for the demo. The IPX file is a glorified way of running R1 at this point, so nothing there.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So like Sandopolis Zone Act 2?

13. ShaoTech

ShaoTech

I asked Mazin about this a ways back and none of this was actually made for R2.

https://twitter.com/Jon_TD_/status/1332788476576747530

EDIT: Just noticed this was posted on page 4 but the link is broken ATM.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. Linkabel

Linkabel

I guess, while we don't know what the plan is I'm envisioning them more simple like that screenshot and not as elaborate as Sandopolis Act 2. Could be though.

I'm just glad he Ohshima actually revealed something about it instead of being top secret area 51 about it like other people in the past.

15. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom

I actually briefly mentioned this in an earlier post in this thread when talking about Collision Chaos existing at that point in development. Also mentioned another instance where Collision Chaos is checked for.

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Just wanted to say thank you for this - I believed you already but this is pretty irrefutable!

It's really nice to know what R2 was called after so many years of speculation. It's nice to see some progress made towards solving one of the biggest remaining classic Sonic mysteries.

17. _Sidle

_Sidle

Can't believe it's another DD, now 1993 not-Marble and 2011 not-Sand Shower/proto-Mirage Saloon can't be identified by initials at a glance anymore, that's gonna be ever-so-slightly inconvenient :flunked:
    Hoping that shoving a "p" or "z" on the end becomes the standard notation, feels like that's the cleanest way to differentiate them

DDp - Dubious Depths
    DDz - Desert Dazzle

18. It's wild to see one of the biggest mysteries of Sonic CD becoming so much clearer; I never thought we'd get a proper name for R2.

I'd be interested in seeing someone try to fully realize Dubious Depths, honestly. We have enough pieces that it's becoming pretty possible to understand what it would've been like.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    And all you had to do was ask on Twitter

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I stand by my statements that at least part of the Act was above ground, hence the rainbow waterfalls and rainfall you see in the early planet map.

To me, an ideal fan recreation of DDZ would be an Act 1 above ground leading into an Act 2 Underground. Or I suppose we could go for the marble zone style blending of both.

Frankly, I think that's just it... the zone truly was just a revamp of the Marvel Zone trope, but without the lava, with more mechanical gimmicks in the ruins, and with more rainy weather.