don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Probably doesn't help their repeated attempts to rewrite the past, only for fans to notice and start raking them over the coals.

Anyone remember when they said Two Worlds were a thing since Sonic Adventure, in spite of Sonic Adventure itself showing otherwise, and then they tried to say it was inherited from Yuji Naka, despite an interview in 2010 of him saying the world was Earth and there was only the one?

Fun times.

2. The blue chaos emerald paradox can be handwaved by taking advantage of what is not seen. For the simplest explanation, one could argue that despite pretenses, Elise didn’t maintain possession of the emerald for a full decade. It could have warped itself into the special zone/South Island in time for Sonic 1 before ultimately being returned to Elise prior to 06.

Alternatively, for a more convoluted explanation, look at when the blue emerald actually changes hands. Elise tosses the emerald to Sonic immediately as she is first captured. Sonic then delivers the emerald to Eggman in White Acropolis inside his base. Ostensibly, Silver recovers this emerald after playing through White Acropolis and defeating Egg Genesis. But the emerald is found sitting in the snow outside the base, not within the Time machine chamber. Perhaps the intention is that Eggman entrusted Egg Genesis to protect the emerald within its systems, only for it to be freed in the machine’s destruction. But as such a transaction never occurs onscreen and is left to the player’s imagination, one can take advantage of this gap in the emerald’s timeline to offer an alternative chain of events.

Instead, I submit this is not the same emerald as that possessed by Elise and Sonic. Or rather, it is the same emerald that has yet to be owned by Elise due to time travel. In this scenario, the blue emerald went through its history in Frontiers, Adventure 1, etc before appearing in Sonic 1. This emerald was never owned by Elise. The timeline proceeds until the events of 06, at which point the emerald is discovered either by Eggman or Egg Genesis itself. If Eggman knew firsthand of the emerald, perhaps he was intrigued by its very existence, since he just had the blue emerald delivered to him by Sonic. Due to Elise escaping and Silver defeating Egg Genesis, he never had the opportunity to examine it and discover the temporal implications of its existence.

It is this emerald that Silver uses to travel to the past and leaves behind with Elise. For that period of ten years, there are in fact two blue emeralds existing simultaneously: one that goes through the events of the games, and one that is owned by Elise.

I recognize that neither of these explanations were intended at the time, nor are they anything other than rampant speculation and headcanon. 06 was intended as a soft reboot to the series, and the audience wasn’t supposed to be concerned about the ontological paradox contradicting past games. Nonetheless, if the current official stance on 06 is that the game took place in the main timeline before undoing itself, explanations for the paradox are still possible.

(See also the grey emerald that Silver apparently takes from the Duke in the past and brings into the future 210 years later. Again, this changing of hands occurred offscreen, so perhaps Silver in fact found the emerald elsewhere. Or perhaps right after sealing Blaze, it warps itself back in its rightful place in the timeline. Or, erm, perhaps Silver goes back in time himself to put the emerald back before being sucked up by Solaris into Last Story.)

Ian specifically cites TailsTube as one potential avenue by which Blaze’s 06 backstory could be explored.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Oh, what's continuing past Sonic Frontiers? I thought that was just a bit of advertisement for that game and it would end after its release. If it's going to continue, then fair enough.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    No, I asked Ian at the time #3 came out and he confirmed there’s more to come.

5. Linkabel

Linkabel

I always thought there were 2 blue Chaos Emeralds, one that was in a time loop and with Elise, and the other that was involved in Sonic's past adventures.

Then once the events of the game get reset then it doesn't matter.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Doesn't even need to be discovered by Robotnik: Silver just finds it on the ground outside White Acropolis.

I've posited that it's as you said: the blue Chaos Emerald Silver has is one yet to be given to Elise.

Alternatively, its history changes mid-game, since Silver was not involved in the events before the game that lead to his future, and since his involvement is what leads to the new timeline that sees Elise survive but time eaten by Solaris...

If no Silver, then who gives Elise the blue Chaos Emerald?

7. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I feel like the simplest explanation for it all would be that Sonic 06 exists as a prequel of sorts to the entire series; that means that everything we've seen happen that's "required" for 06 to happen did happen but in a different way where none of it required the assistance of Chaos Emeralds (which the only weird thing about that would be SA2 and Shadow but let's just say they found ways around that) and Blaze has never encountered Sonic because Rush's entire story was only possible because of the Emeralds.
    The ending is the only thing that now matters. They've said before that 06 is a sort of "dream" for everyone, so let's say residual memories start popping up for characters when the time comes for what would have been an 06 event, and that's what we see in the ending. + - god I fucking love that ending  

8. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Honestly, the best way to deal with the 06 plot fuckery is to just tell yourself it doesn’t matter because it retconned itself and push it out of your mind.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Yeah, but where's the fun in that? I enjoy trying to untangle this absolute mess of a plot. I've figured three timelines (Original, Interference and Resultant) that occur over the course of the game.:eng99:

10. shilz

shilz

They just need to pay Kiel Phegley to make canon novelizations of all the games, with Sonic 1-3 as picture books.

11. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    So... do we have any new information regarding the ancients/Chaos & Chao connection? Also what exactly are the Coroc?

I saw people online saying that Chao are "evolved" ancients and that makes little sense to me, honestly.

12. Did you play the game?

According to Eggman, Chaos is a descendent of the ancients caused by the DNA breaking down and mutating. That’s why they look alike. Chao being related to the ancients is purely through the transitive property of Chaos being (according to the Sonic Channel) a mutated Chao.

Coroc is a misspelling of something from Zelda. Koco are little charms made by the ancients during their lives that their souls or like “echoes” of their memories/wishes would later inhabit.

Edit: I don’t mean for the “Did you play?” question to come off assholely lol. No one has to play, it’s just that these things were explained pretty decently in the game IMO.

13. shilz

shilz

Evolutionary descendants would (I think) be more descriptive phrasing. I don't think we're getting much more specific than "The ancients are the Chao ancestors from a very very long time ago", unless another game wants to expand on that era of their history somehow.

14. Pengi

Pengi

Ian Flynn explains the Ancients / Chaos / Chao connection here (25m 49s):

15. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    No offence taken, yeah I played it back in December, I remember reading Eggman notes about Chaos, but not really much else. I feel like the game didn't explain the Koco's* purpose well enough, and I'm still a bit confused how the elders can exist.

I was wondering if Ian or somebody else shed a bit more light on the Ancients, so thank You for the link Pengi.

*Damn, somehow I connected the two thingies in my head and created Corocks... But seeing how Frontiers copies BoTW that was sure to happen sooner or later...

16. Yeah, it’s annoying that the names are so similar. You’d think someone on the dev team would have been like, “Really? We can’t do that too.”

Tbf, I’m not really a BotW fan so it doesn’t bother me too much. The games are pretty different once you dive in further than surface-level comparisons (thankfully). Like some others have said, my immediately thought upon playing was that it reminded me more of Bowser’s Fury than anything else because it integrated designs that’d be typical to a linear stage into a more open area. The sheer abundance of collectibles was also similar to Odyssey, though Frontiers is paced much faster with the memory tokens feeling a bit insignificant because of it.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    4:32 - I've been wondering for a while on the status of 06, specifically the ending with it being erased. Sonic is implied to remember it with the JP script of TSR having him reference his first 06 meeting with Silver and Silver not knowing what he meant. Is this the same Silver that we met in 06 or has that version been erased with time and replaced by the Rivals counterpart onwards?

He's not sure, and I didn't quite understand what he said.

27:59 - There's a theory that the double chaos control repaired the Ark. The evidence being that it's breaking as it falls, then the chaos control happens and it's in peak condition again. Could this be what happened to the moon, too?

He is not fond of the theory, and prefers the moon turning thing.

18. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    There's only one Silver, he just doesn't remember 06 the same way everyone else doesn't. I think the question is what version of the future he remembers, since that's something that actually changes.

...But then the answer is the same as Flynn always gives, which is "time travel is bullshit and it doesn't even make sense in-universe"

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    "It's just a visual oversight"
    Yeah, like the Moon not having a hole in it.

20. Rafa Stary

Rafa Stary

deleted

Last edited: May 16, 2023