don't click here

Flute part in game missing in final soundtrack release? (Sonic R)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Maroon Hat Hacker, Jan 7, 2023.

1. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Oh weird! I’ve never heard it without the flute before!

Lost Jungle beta is excellent. It’s strange how they changed it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  2. I think the only figures we have are 80k for SS in Japan which honestly isn’t horrible for a Sonic spinoff in Japan. I imagine it was 500k-1m worldwide based of those numbers.

3. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    D'oh, right, I forgot about that! I really love the slower '70s fusion vibes of the beta version, and it makes me appreciate the busier, action-oriented style of the final. They're both great.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Makes sense. The community was simply going with game music rips like the rest of the internet at the time. Honestly the only time back then you really had CD rips was if the music on it was unique (We all love Super Sonic Dance Attack).

That changed around the time Sonic Heroes was coming out, or something.

5. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.

Jeez, the fluteless intro sounds so.....naked. Not bad but just..........I dunno...naked. lol

Not to overthink it, but depending on when the two versions were made, I wonder if maybe leaving it out for the OST version was actually an artistic choice. From a listener's standpoint and having grown up hearing it one way, the change is rather jarring. But then thinking of it from a producer's standpoint I can understand the decision to punch it out in a later mix. Personally after comparing the two, I think that while the flute sounds nice, the intro sounds kind of... "cluttered" with it and the arpeggio synth playing simultaneously.

6. Felik

Felik

Maybe they did it make Vocal and instrumental version more distinct from one another?

7. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I don’t have all versions on hand to do a comparison for you but the flute is used in the Gems version which is a port of the later Expert release on PC. For anyone that saw my earlier version of this post I apologize, I double checked the Saturn version and it is present there as well.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie