don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Netflix just cancelled season 2 of inside job so I hope nothing they do works out in the end for them. I’m getting reallll tired of Netflix’s shit. 1 or 2 seasons is all any show gets any more, then it’s nothing but cooking shows hosted by D-list celebrities who just want free food.

At this point I want Netflix to fail.

2. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    Yeah, THAT'S one reason for me to stay the fuck away from Netflix. At this point cancelling shows is gonna be their daily thing.

3. Taylor

Taylor

I think weekly vs binge depends on the show. In Prime's case it feels designed for a weekly watch with how much time they spend reminding you of things, which I know isn't actually the case. I do agree the batch model is the worst of both worlds, it's hard to imagine a show that really benefits from it

Edit: What's especially weird is that I don't see how it could work from a business standpoint. Surely Netflix owners are savvy enough to know that weekly is best for sustaining fandoms? Or maybe these fans aren't spending money in ways that'd benefit Netflix (ie, if fans went out and bought Sonic merch because of Prime, Netflix wouldn't see that money)

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It’s like a race between them and HBO Max on who can cancel the most shows. And part of this has to be because Netflix has no back log so they have to cynically pad it. Ya it looks like a lot, but then you find a series of 6 episode, 1 season shows with unresolved cliffhangers making them not even worth watching in the first place.

The only stuff that seems to last now are shows made prior to like, 2017. I can’t recall many shows after that lasted more than 1 or 2 seasons. The Simpsons are on like season 34 (that’s also bad, but at least it shows they’re willing to stick with it), and Netflix can’t seem to count to 3. Ffs

5. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I can only hope that since the show sounds like it’s done production wise that is enough incentive for Netflix to just dump it out since all the money for the show has already been invested aside from marketing.

6. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I actually wouldn't mind if this got canceled after one season so you're bringing your argument to the wrong person about this.

Netflix does have multiple season shows and it's usually their children programming. Stuff like puss and boots and captain underpants and trolls got 4 to 6 seasons and upwards of 80 episodes. They're the exception to the quick cancelation status so for fans of prime, it could be the exception like those.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    There’s a recent example of this with a show that has a completed 2nd season but it was cancelled anyway and the episodes just won’t be released. All that effort for nothing.

8. Mana

Mana

Everybody still got paid so I wouldn't say it was for nothing. Completed projects get scrapped all the time.

Long as everyone is properly compensated all people involved in production win

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It still means all your effort has gone for naught. I'd be galled if something I did was dumped without any warning, payment or not. I put in the effort, they can put in the token amount to release it.

10. Mana

Mana

Your effort was not for naught if you were paid for it. They have their reasons for scrapping it that don't make sense to us but to people in board meetings,

I never seen or heard of inside job before, you want these shows to go for 3 or 4 seasons then get Word of Mouth going.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    There seems to be an issue of perspective.

You seem to perceive that if you've gotten paid for it, then everything's golden.
    I've the perception that something someone has worked hard on is going into the bin, regardless of payment.

I would still be immensely irked, regardless of payment received, if I'd worked hard on something and been told "well that was fun, but pointless since it's never going to be seen." They could pay me a million and I would still be annoyed by it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Mana

Mana

Hey to each their own. Like they say though, this ain't "show-friends" its "showbusiness". If they feel it's better for them in the long run to scrap a show then they have every right to regardless of a vocal minority of fans.

I say this as someone who was very excited for the Bone Netflix series, number one fan of summer camp island, and someone who was very excited to see a new Batman show with Reeves and Timm...it's just business and nothing personal at the end of the day.

Be happy you even made it this far most shows never do.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Further to this: there's more to a job than just being paid, especially if you're doing something creative.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They’re literally just dropping shows for tax write offs. The system is so broken canceling a finished product is somehow more worthwhile than just unceremoniously dumping it onto the streaming network in question. I mean cable I get because time slots, but streaming there are no time slots. Just Netflix reminding you to watch shit you’ve already seen, burying your “continue watching” section under 5 categories that say just amount to saying “popular” in 6 different ways.

It might be the business but the business is shitty and cynical. But yea if it weren’t for my husband I’d cancel Netflix yesterday.

But even if it’s just the business I mean surely we can all acknowledge it’s gotten a lot worse lately, right? More services, less content, higher prices, reintroducing ads. The thing that was meant to take down cable just became cable 2.0. I mean why does Hulu even exist when Disney owns that? HBO at least is folding discovery plus into its network but it’s discovery they have nothing I’m interested in watching.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  15. Mana

Mana

The argument I made wasn't about if it was about more than being paid all I said was that if you were properly compensated then it wasn't "all for naught".

Just the beast of the industry.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    [​IMG]
    "You're telling me you worked for Netflix during this period and you have nothing to show for it?"

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    “I got some doodles on a hard drive somewhere does that count? My credits include Bone, Inside Job season 2, and the follow up to Klaus.”

Netflix: fuck animation. NOW WHO WANTS TO MOCK PEOPLE WHO CANT COOK! OR THE OPPOSITE, REVEL IN FOOD BY GOOD CHEFS?

18. Mana

Mana

"We actually made a fantastic program called -----. It was scrapped due to business dealings way above my pay grade but if you call them up, which studios do for other studios, they can tell you I was hard working and cared deeply about the product that was we made.

It wasn't mine or there fault things fell out of control. It was a decision made to protect the overall health of the company but it says nothing about the quality of my work or my work ethic."

Do you have any idea how many completed things gets scraped? Thinking of a Netflix show the director of a lot of episodes of Bojack Horseman named Amy Winfrey first started on her own show called Making Friends.

They made 13 episodes but only ever showed 6. Yet she was able to fall on her feet and work on that big show.

You know this happens all the time right?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  19. "You got your money, so who cares if you'll never see the fruits of your labor"

This an extremely shitty attitude and I can't believe its being touted as a legitimate argument with Sonic of all things, a series notorious for being mishandled due to corporates who only care about IP's profit and none of its creativity

20. I feel so bad for Infinity Train and Summer Camp Island. What Warner Discovery did was so fucking dirty.

I kinda wanted animation to be treated with respect.