don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. RDNexus

RDNexus

How so, if I may ask? I'm curious...

2. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    well, the first dvd release is of seasons 1 and 2, which are really the first batch of episodes ordered and split in half. the Second release advertises it's seasons 3-6, but now the seasons are about 6 to 7 episodes each and totaling 26 episodes for the package.

If you were to compare a netflix season to a cable season of say Sonic Boom. the netflix seasons stat looking rather skimpy and starved being as low as 6-8 per season VS 52 for a season of Boom.

3. RDNexus

RDNexus

Ugh... It sure sucks so much...

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Like just go back to once a week if the drops are 4 episodes at a time now, it’s getting ridiculous

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. I would not mind the weekly releases being standard either. Definitely preferable to the ambiguity that's clouding things now.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I finished watching all 8 episodes.

Quite enjoyed it! Easily the best Sonic item of the last year, by a long chalk. Sonic's still a bit friendship-speechy but things are panning out well enough, and he's getting some comeuppance for it so it's all fine. A bit of a cliffhanger where they've left it, which is somewhat annoying - do we have any idea when the second batch is coming?

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Not even a hint, I don't think. Hopefully we hear something soon.

8. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    Well... honestly, who DOESN'T want weekly episodes?

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Me, when they could just put them all up at once for a binge.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This. I like binge watching. But if it’s some weird nonsensical piece meal arrangement then yea I’d rather have weekly.

Not to say the original weekly model was all that great though. Shows had to crap stuff out to meet the quotas and everything suffered as a result. It was nice the past decade feeling like shows could finally play out how they needed to… until like 2 years ago when this like “let’s be quasi cable now” model began, now we’re stuck with 6 episode drops every X amount of weeks/months. It’s the worst of both models.

I miss when streaming was cool and all you needed was Netflix and Hulu. Now you need like 7 streamers and the content is mostly trash.

11. I miss watching one episode per week... cuz we had time to talk and theory shit about what happened in the episode with friends, and it was awesome. Who watched Adventure Time or Gravity Falls during 2013-2017 must know what I mean. At least Arcane doing this batch made sense because every episode were like 40 minutes.

Edit: Oh no, making a post on phone sucks. Ao many typos I just noticed bow. lol

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I liked the move away from the weekly model too because I felt it allowed show creators to tell better stories. When they’re in control of how many episodes they need in a season they can tell the story they want at their pacing. It’s not like the 90s where networks forced shows to churn out X number of episodes resulting in nonsense like clip shows, those episodes of shows that follow the 3 different tales Treehouse of horror Esq format, or Janeway and Paris turning into salamanders.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    We don't talk about Threshold and you know it.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I’ll talk about Tuvix then, and how Janeway murdered him :V or the time Sisko and friends played baseball lol

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Star Trek: Voyager was a weird show... really should've been set up more akin to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine with an overarching plot instead of early Star Trek with event of the week plots since the entire thing was supposed to be one long journey home, instead of a starship wandering around and investigating everything...

But this isn't the thread for discussion on Star Trek, though it can apply to Sonic Prime: they're at least trying to keep an overarching plot with the Eggmanworld, but Sonic visiting the Shatterverses is coming off a little weekly plot-esque. We'll see if they sort that with future episodes, but beyond collecting the crystal, I don't see why Sonic would revisit the Jungle World.

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    It's weird, I kinda think the show would be worse off if they didn't do a drop of episodes, but at that point it's more like you need to drop the whole series or actually hype up the ones that are being held back, and people should know there's more coming soon and not be left thinking "man that's a disappointing finale". If you have events that are meant to be immediately followed up, then the best way to distribute that is all at once. If you specifically write a series like, let's say House, where yes things do carry over between episodes, but each episode is a new week in-universe, then yeah it's fine to space that out, unless you just do a two-parter, then you'd want to air that back to back. Another comparison would be a "two-part" movie, and for this I'll use Avengers Infinity War and Endgame. The space between the two was utilized to create an air of uncertainty that enhanced the emotions that the protagonists of the film felt.
    There's a lot of ways they could've handled this, and it's not like the advertising was invisible, it just needs a certain special method of advertising instead of talking about the show like the whole thing is out.

17. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I've dropped this series with no interest in ever picking it up again but I think there's probably just production issues with the show due to how expensive it is and the fact that its not being done by the Biggest studio in the world.

I'm sure it'll all work out in the long run for the series.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  18. MH MD

MH MD

That's just not the case, Netflix just decided to slice it up like that, pretty sure even animators commented on that , and that it was meant to air all at once so the pause is awkward cause it was not designed with that in mind

But that's just western animation in general, always have weird schedules , and 99% of the time, the production is already complete, but TV channels or streaming services decide to do some weird scheduling for whatever reason

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Anyone remember Gravity Falls as it aired? Northwest Mansion Mystery airing February after the series went quiet for a month, then the next episode came out in March, then the episode after that came out in July?

Let's not even get into Steven Universe's airing patterns...

20. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Oh cool. Well I don't care about if the pause is awkward or not because I'm not a fan but I hope it works out for Netflix in the end.