don't click here

The last straw

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Dec 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    with recent events in Sonic games such as the downgrading of quality gameplay sonic Sonic adventure 2 battle, the hiring of the 4shame cast, the deteriorating graphics system, I've been thinking about a few things. The fans in general always seem to complain about what happens in the games and yet they buy each and evry last one. I've come to the conclusion that the opninons of long term fans of the sonic series are irrelevant to sega beause they know that no matter what they do, these die hard Sonic fans will buy anything that has the name sonic on it. therefore I have no hopes for any of the future games and even next gen will probably suck. yet the fans will continue to buy it as sega continues to ignore them and curtail to the wants of this youner genertaion.

that said, now it's your turn to prove me wrong. What would it take for you guys to stop buying sonic games for good? is there anything Sega could do that would be that bad? or will you always be loyal to sonic?

2. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    People who hate the 'newer' Sonic games are in a real minority. Sonic Advance for instance, was a good game. Sonic Adventure was a good game. I liked Sonic Heros. I mean not to say some of these things don't have flaws, the voice acting for example, but look at back something like the SatAM cartoons and the voice acting then wasn't exactly top-notch either on reflection.

Sega can't keep selling Sonic 1, 2 and 3 over and over (but hell, they are trying, look at all these collection games). Things have to change and move on. It's up to you if you either change with them and accept that your not playing on a Genesis anymore, or you embrase the fact Sonic Games are different now. That decides how you enjoy the games.

I liked the gameplay in Heros (ok, it had bugs, but overall. Anyway, like Sonic 1 was bug-free...) and in Adventure. Just because it's not 2D side-scrolling platformer gameplay, does not make it bad. You have to see the newer games for what they are and not expect what was from them. That said, Sonic Advance was a throwback, I loved it. Even it's origonal music tracks are old-style Genesis games. True, it lost the plot when Sonic Advance 3 came out, but I'm not defending all of Sega's recent actions here.

/me whistles Ice Mountain

What would make me stop loving Sonic? If they made a string of really, truly, as awful as people make them out to be games. But something tells me that won't actually happen.

3. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I might stop buying them if they actually stopped making good Sonic games. That hasn't happened yet in my opinion.

4. Shade

Shade

It?s always something...

Look, while I agree that the newer games are not of as great quality, they are still good games (for the most part) in their own right. And to be honest, when it comes between fans and money, Sega chooses money. Screw what the die hard fan wants, they're out for what sells well. Hard facts of life. We should be grateful Sonic even survived the Sega CD/32X/Saturn debacle. He kicking it stronger than ever now. Sure, the games have dipped in quality, but that's probably because the originals were so damned good they cant be topped. And I find Sonic Adventure, the Advance series, Rush, and Heroes to be damn fine Sonic games. As good as the Megadrive games? No. But its something.

Why don't you hold out until Sonic the Hedgehog (next-gen) before you finally decide "onos sega leik hates meh and R teh sux0rz!11one!"

Crimony. How many complaints are we gonna get this month? First like three members leave, then its Voice's sig, then it?s the relevance of this community, and now another current-gen bash. I think my head is going to spontaneously explode if I see another topic like this. Silly season indeed.

5. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I will probably never stop buying sonic games.... (unless they start making all M rated games or somthing like that *rolls eyes*) Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 rocked, Heroes had good gameplay, and I'm getting Shadow the Hedgehog even if it kills me. :P

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Umm....Hello?

The onlt games that I really disliked were Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic Heroes.

I loved Sonic Adventure 1 & 2. Sonic Advance 1 was pretty good. I had some fun with Sonic advance 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog. I have yet to play Sonic rush)

I will continue to buy the games as long as I have fun with them.

7. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    ^
    / \
    ||
    ||

Ditto. :P

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And what's kinda sad is how some of them will buy them even if they already know they're not gonna like them as much as other existant games in the market.

I personally just get those Sonic games that I find interesting, like happens with the recent Sonic Rush. That's why I don't plan to buy Sonic Heroes or Shadow The Hedgehog at the moment.

9. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Even if the games are not great, and only fun, I will still play them.
    Buy them? That's another story.

10. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    What difers from a bad game and a bad Sonic game, is that the Sonic games of now aren't obsenley horirible. Granted they're not the spectacular masterpieces of the Genesis-era, but they're not "bad" games. Britney's Dance Beat is a bad game. Sonic Heroes wasn't a bad game. It had many flaws, but by no means was it bad. Unless they do a 100% shit game, I'll still buy almost everything Sonic because almost every Sonic game I've bought, regardless of its flaws (apparent or not), it's still a fun game.

11. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Sonic Jam for the gamecom kthx.

12. Shadow MK2

Shadow MK2

The only bad Sonic game (that I've played) is Sonic Labyrinth. Dumb story, annoying gameplay, bad game. Sure, the new games aren't as good as the Genesis games, but that's because the Genesis games were so damn good! Oh, and don't bash a game until you've played it.

13. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    The review scores and sale statistics beg to differ.

I'll keep buying Sonic games as long as I have a Sonic site. I don't care how horrible they are. I bought Sonic Mega Collection on Gamecube when it came out for $40 even though I had all the games it included on my Genesis in working condition. I'm lucky I didn't have to buy Shadow because Sega gave me a copy of the game. I enjoyed Sonic Adventure because it was the first game for my Dreamcast. I didn't like it in SADX. I liked SA2 despite the problems, but Heroes was insulting. Shadow is simply Sega slapping its dedicated fans in the face. The Advance games haven't been bad, they're just unimaginative. They got progressively better, but Sonic Battle was an unnecessary spinoff. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sonic Rush is my favorite Sonic game ever, but even then it didn't sell 50,000 copies last month because it was facing competition from Mario Kart.

14. Deathbyteacup

Deathbyteacup

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons. Member
    Sonic Heros;
    GamePro gave it 4/5
    Game Zone a 8/10
    GamingWorldX a 7.5 / 10
    GameSpy a 3/5

etc. etc.

And as for sales stats, what's this!
    http://cube.gamespy.com/gamecube/sonic-heroes/561895p1.html

They don't beg to differ at all.

15. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Yes, by bringing out a new game for people to play and enjoy, they must be using it as a personal attack to the old school fanboys.

Ooh, Sonic 2 was a slap in the face! It introduced Tails, who nobody wanted to play as!

16. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    It's not the bugs and faults in the new games that anger me- it's the idiots that whine about it.

17. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    TPX owns the topic.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    So randomly falling through the floor to your death doesn't bug you? The horrible voice acting, telling you what to do every step of the way, doesn't bug you?

Hmm, to each their own, I guess.

19. Neo Majin

Neo Majin

New England / Virginia
    Very little thanks to poor computer access
    If you don't like the whining, don't read it... or is the Almighty SEGA above criticism?

20. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    it's like we're on a frigging roundabout, this happens every month XD

*enjoyed Heroes despite bugs... which I never had the misfortune to encounter*

StH is a good game. In fact, I'll stick my neck out and say it is what Heroes could have been, given more time.

*gets out of topic*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.